White proso millet

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Selvagem
Novice

White proso millet

Post by Selvagem »

Oops, I realized that I should have posted this here, rather than in the Novice section.

After reading a lot of conflicting information regarding millet whiskey, here's what I've found:

-most varieties of millet have very little flavor, and make for whiskey that likewise has very little flavor
-white proso millet (WPM), on the other hand, has a very strong flavor, so strong that it's pretty much always relegated to animal feed
-WPM apparently makes for very good whiskey if you're going to oak it; for most people the flavor is too strong in a white whiskey
-lots of places sell WPM that contains no fungicides, or any other ingredient besides the seeds themselves
-it's still labeled "Not for human consumption"

Any idea why it would be labeled that way? Am I overlooking something? If there is such a thing as "for human consumption" WPM, I've never seen it.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: White proso millet

Post by shadylane »

I don't know the answer to your question.
But here's a link to malting it http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0410.x/pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I can't speak casue I have made some but I have had http://www.koval-distillery.com/newsite/whiskey/millet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and its a pretty good drop. Its way better than I expected. I also cant say what kind of millet they use either. If you are ever in Chi town get you a taste or maybe your local can get it for you.
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

Selvagem wrote:Oops, I realized that I should have posted this here, rather than in the Novice section.

After reading a lot of conflicting information regarding millet whiskey, here's what I've found:

-most varieties of millet have very little flavor, and make for whiskey that likewise has very little flavor
-white proso millet (WPM), on the other hand, has a very strong flavor, so strong that it's pretty much always relegated to animal feed
-WPM apparently makes for very good whiskey if you're going to oak it; for most people the flavor is too strong in a white whiskey
-lots of places sell WPM that contains no fungicides, or any other ingredient besides the seeds themselves
-it's still labeled "Not for human consumption"

Any idea why it would be labeled that way? Am I overlooking something? If there is such a thing as "for human consumption" WPM, I've never seen it.
Cursory google search says that its highly fermentable and ethanol production is good. Wiki says it has irritating hairs on its stems. So feed stock proso may be just a rough sort and may have too much other stuff ( stems, dirt, stones, ) to be good for us. If thats the case it seems like an easy fix.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Probably an expert on the subject would be Darek Bell, he owns Corsair Distillery and wrote the book "Alt Whiskey's" he is probably one of the most informed individuals on grains and has done a lot of distilling with millet. If you google his distillery and ask the question he is very good at answering questions. Not only has he written the book, he owns 2 distilleries and has just opened or about to open his own building for malting grains.
Selvagem
Novice

Post by Selvagem »

Thanks, everybody! Some good ideas.
osmaltman
Novice

Post by osmaltman »

Most white proso millet is sprayed with a fungicide/inhibitor for storage. Look for packages that say "FG free" or "natural".
When you see the "not for human consumption", it is usually because the seed was cleaned in a facility that cleans feed grade grains. It will not hurt you in the least.

WPM is a fantastic seed to distill with and can be quite potent. It is a pain in the rear to malt though because the steeping requires a tight mesh so you don't lose the seed when draining. I actually have 8 tons of it sitting in my warehouse waiting to get malted.

If you ever see "Browntop millet" - pass on it! Brown millet is complete garbage and barely fit for wild birds.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. I usually malt around 20 Tons a year of it.
Selvagem
Novice

Post by Selvagem »

Whoa! That is awesome. Thanks so much for the info. I'll look for FG free seeds.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

This is a subject that really interests me. Ive made a lot of whisky from or with white proso millet. Ive found that the millet from the feed store," it's organic and costs a lot" has a much earthy flavor then the stuff I buy at the hippy store. I always attributed the flavor to be from the husks. It never occurred to me that its like red and white wheat.

This post has given me a new rabbit trail to go down. It's one of the more interesting posts if read in years. Just when you think you know everything someone pitches a curve ball and you've got to figure it out again.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
osmaltman
Novice

Post by osmaltman »

rubber duck wrote:This is a subject that really interests me. Ive made a lot of whisky from or with white proso millet. Ive found that the millet from the feed store," it's organic and costs a lot" has a much earthy flavor then the stuff I buy at the hippy store. I always attributed the flavor to be from the husks. It never occurred to me that its like red and white wheat.

This post has given me a new rabbit trail to go down. It's one of the more interesting posts if read in years. Just when you think you know everything someone pitches a curve ball and you've got to figure it out again.
Next time you make a batch from millet, try malting it first. It is a COMPLETELY different flavor profile. You will be amazed at the difference. Plus it takes some of the harshness out of it.
If you need any info on it, just let me know.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

osmaltman wrote:
rubber duck wrote:This is a subject that really interests me. Ive made a lot of whisky from or with white proso millet. Ive found that the millet from the feed store," it's organic and costs a lot" has a much earthy flavor then the stuff I buy at the hippy store. I always attributed the flavor to be from the husks. It never occurred to me that its like red and white wheat.

Next time you make a batch from millet, try malting it first. It is a COMPLETELY different flavor profile. You will be amazed at the difference. Plus it takes some of the harshness out of it.
If you need any info on it, just let me know.
I'll give that a try, I've not thought of doing that.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
EziTasting
Novice

Post by EziTasting »

Love this topic!

This is my next project! I would very much like to have a go at it, but every time I find a post on this topic, it winds up before the conclusion...

Well I'm collating information on Milket distilling looking for recipes... if anyone has done any of this and is willing to share, I'd appreciate the 'keg-up'!

Osmalt, will send you a PM, if your offer still stands?!?!?
Cheers
EZ
vernue
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vernue »

Just completed a stripping run on my second try at millet whiskey. The first came out very good. I'd say it has the spiciness of rye but much smoother. I'm using whatever type millet they have here, that sells at the local health food store. It's yellow, but bigger than what you'd see in bird seed.

Some observations: no need to grind it. cooking it is good enough, but I had to watch it because it very quickly will turn from grain boiling in water to a mass of concrete. I mean, there is LOTS of starch in this stuff!!!! Made a mash that was soooo sweet that it was hard to believe that someone had not emptied a sack or two of sugar into it. Could not measure OG because it was too thick, but after fermentation was measuring right at 1.00. Two 17 l. stripping runs netted me 6 l. of low wines that I figure are around 45-50%. Figure to do the spirit run this week.
Both me and my whiskey are ageing. I hope my whiskey finishes first.
5 g. clawhammer
50 l. homemade pot still
5 l alembic for alchemy and experiments
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I've found white millet once and bought 120# of it. My experiences with it is that it had a very mild taste. Only the lightest sweetness and spiciness. Mine was unmalted and converted with enzymes. I did grind mine a bit. Used it plain,clear and aged and also used it in varying proportions with rice ,corn,and oats,clear and aged. It's light flavor, used by itself , was almost covered up by the caramel taste from aging.
Did come up with a good pot stillers vodka though.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!