My oh Rye!

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

My oh Rye!

Post by TedL »

So my dad supports my hobby of distilling and he bought me 50# of rye seed. Will rye seed work for a all grain mash or will I get weird flavors? I usually use flaked rye and that has flavor. What should I do with this stuff....use it or plant it for grass seed?
Attachments
rye2.jpg
rye1.jpg
Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My oh Rye!

Post by seamusm53 »

I cannot tell from the label but there is a difference between rye cereal (a food grain used in beer/whiskey making) and Ryegrass seed. If yuor dad bought this from a beer-making supply house then it is the right stuff.
Rye grain (food cereal) will add a spicy bite to an all-grain mash. And it doesn't take more than 10% of the grain bill to notice the difference.

George Washington's Mt Vernon whiskey recipe calls for 60% rye, 35% corn and 5% malted barley.

Last year I tried a 100% rye mash to see what rye by itself tasted like - it was a bit too harsh for my tastes. But I have added that run of rye liquor to subsequent whiskey distillations and have experimented with blending so as to not waste the rye product. 50 pounds of grain gives you a lot to play with and that is just what I'd recommend - play and have some fun finding out what YOU like.
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

seamusm53 wrote:I cannot tell from the label but there is a difference between rye cereal (a food grain used in beer/whiskey making) and Ryegrass seed. If yuor dad bought this from a beer-making supply house then it is the right stuff.
Rye grain (food cereal) will add a spicy bite to an all-grain mash. And it doesn't take more than 10% of the grain bill to notice the difference.

George Washington's Mt Vernon whiskey recipe calls for 60% rye, 35% corn and 5% malted barley.

Last year I tried a 100% rye mash to see what rye by itself tasted like - it was a bit too harsh for my tastes. But I have added that run of rye liquor to subsequent whiskey distillations and have experimented with blending so as to not waste the rye product. 50 pounds of grain gives you a lot to play with and that is just what I'd recommend - play and have some fun finding out what YOU like.
Its definitely rye grass seed. I don't know what the end result will be from using grass seed. I guess the only way to find out is to just use it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I made an all rye using Jimbo's recipe Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe and it turned out to be one of my best AG runs I have done thus far. Make sure you grind the grain.
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

Bushman wrote:I made an all rye using Jimbo's recipe Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe and it turned out to be one of my best AG runs I have done thus far. Make sure you grind the grain.
I did a malted wheat AG and it was nice. But this rye isn't malted. Im curious what the taste difference would be between malted rye and unmalted rye?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Just make sure the grass seed isn't treated with any kind of pesticide. Wheat seed, that the farmers plant, is treated. And that treatment would make it poisonous to consume. The pesticide keeps bugs (weavels, etc.) from eating the bulk seed. And when harvested (as a crop) the fresh grain is absolutely fine for consumption. But, seed grains are often treated...even when purchased from the lawn and garden shop.

Double check from your source.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

still_stirrin wrote:Just make sure the grass seed isn't treated with any kind of pesticide. Wheat seed, that the farmers plant, is treated. And that treatment would make it poisonous to consume. The pesticide keeps bugs (weavels, etc.) from eating the bulk seed. And when harvested (as a crop) the fresh grain is absolutely fine for consumption. But, seed grains are often treated...even when purchased from the lawn and garden shop.

ss
Its from Southern States coop so I'm not sure about the pesticide thing but I appreciate your concern. I think I'm going to do a mini 10 gallon mash and see if it tastes good or if I get poisoned
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

TedL wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:Just make sure the grass seed isn't treated with any kind of pesticide. Wheat seed, that the farmers plant, is treated. And that treatment would make it poisonous to consume. The pesticide keeps bugs (weavels, etc.) from eating the bulk seed. And when harvested (as a crop) the fresh grain is absolutely fine for consumption. But, seed grains are often treated...even when purchased from the lawn and garden shop.

ss
Its from Southern States coop so I'm not sure about the pesticide thing but I appreciate your concern. I think I'm going to do a mini 10 gallon mash and see if it tastes good or if I get poisoned
I'd check with SoStates first about possible toxicity for human consumption . Tell them you want to make rye bread as a cover .
BEING A LITTLE BIT POISONED MAY HAVE MORE DIRE CONSEQUENCES THAN BEING A LITTLE BIT PREGNANT :moresarcasm:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

I went online and what you have really looks like cereal grain - fatter vs the longer flatter look in online pics of the grass seed????
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

seamusm53 wrote:I went online and what you have really looks like cereal grain - fatter vs the longer flatter look in online pics of the grass seed????
thats not seed its the food grain,grass seed is narrow and long as stated above!
It is what you make it
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

That rye looks great. Since its not malted you'll need to either use it with 20% malted wheat or barley, or use enzymes. Malted wheat has a higher DP. Mash it right at 148-150 for 90 minutes. Anything over 50% rye can be considered a "Rye Whiskey" according to regulations, if you care, and 20% of a malted grain wont affect the flavor significantly.

To be sure youre not distilling pesticides Id grind it then give it a rinse in a bucket with warm water before mashing in. You wont lose much except any loose dust. The warm water wont melt the starches (I wish it were that easy).

Note also rye is smaller than barley or wheat, so you'll have to tighten up the rollers on your mill. Its also hard as pebbles so dont be surprised that it goes slower than milling barley malt.

To get the best efficiency you really should put boiling water on it after grinding and rinsing, stir occasionally for a couple hours, and then mash in with the malt when it hits 151F or so.

I bet pops is looking for a gift back ;)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I've been working with rye a fair bit recently. the stuff you have is not quite as plump and the organic rye i've been getting but it looks like cereal grain to me too.
I use Sebflo on rye too, it helps with the slimeyness factor. Rubberduck has noted a protein rest at 120* on the way up for 30 minutes will also help break the proteins so you don't end up with a pail of slime.
good news is it releases it's starch at a fairly low temperature.

definitely add malt even if you use enzymes, it will help with flavour and mouthfeel.

i'm not big on what i've made with 100% rye, (in the white) the flavour is very powerful, even 3x distilled. Oak definitely tempers and smooths this grain out a lot.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Time is your friend on that rye spank HDNB. Stick it in a barrel and forget about it for a few years. The spice will calm down and the sweetness from the oak will balance it. High rye is definitely not a drink to drank too quick
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Jimbo wrote:Time is your friend on that rye spank HDNB. Stick it in a barrel and forget about it for a few years. The spice will calm down and the sweetness from the oak will balance it. High rye is definitely not a drink to drank too quick
Yazzsir, i believe you are correct. I went after it since so many Canucks call rye a "Canadian" hootch. I think those patriots simply have not discovered the joys of a quality bourbon. :ebiggrin:

even after a few weeks on heavy char oak it does not have much color yet, but the flavour has smartened right up. 3 years from now i think it will be heavenly. :angel:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

Jimbo wrote:That rye looks great. Since its not malted you'll need to either use it with 20% malted wheat or barley, or use enzymes. Malted wheat has a higher DP. Mash it right at 148-150 for 90 minutes. Anything over 50% rye can be considered a "Rye Whiskey" according to regulations, if you care, and 20% of a malted grain wont affect the flavor significantly.

To be sure youre not distilling pesticides Id grind it then give it a rinse in a bucket with warm water before mashing in. You wont lose much except any loose dust. The warm water wont melt the starches (I wish it were that easy).

Note also rye is smaller than barley or wheat, so you'll have to tighten up the rollers on your mill. Its also hard as pebbles so dont be surprised that it goes slower than milling barley malt.

To get the best efficiency you really should put boiling water on it after grinding and rinsing, stir occasionally for a couple hours, and then mash in with the malt when it hits 151F or so.

I bet pops is looking for a gift back ;)
Thanks HDNB! Jimbo you're a wealth of knowledge when it comes to mashing. The first mash I did was your wheated Bourbon and it came out great. I haven't done any all grain since I got my new still (plated column and 25 gallon boiler) I have another keg that I need to cut the top off so I can use it as a big ass pot. So I'll been cooking in 2 kegs at once to make a 25+ gallon mash. I've just been doing sugar washes, corn and rye to be exact. Pops would love a gift back but he had a slight drinking problem and no longer drinks lol.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

I drink, I get drunk, I fall down....no problem.

(sorry for the side track...couldn't help it.)
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning