Malted barley advice

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lamannamal
Novice

Malted barley advice

Post by Lamannamal »

I am interested in making my first single malt whiskey out of malted barley. So I called my local home brew store to see what kinds of 2 row malted barley they carry, they carry a briess 2 row and also a locally grown and malted 2 row. So the question is what do you think I should go with? The briess that many people have tried and tested and I can find an abundance of info on? Or gamble on the local stuff?? Just wondering what everyone else would do.

Edit: they are the exact same price
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Malted barley advice

Post by greggn »

Unless your area is dotted with toxic waste sites then why not go with the locally grown stuff ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Lamannamal
Novice

Post by Lamannamal »

Idk, lack of any prior knowledge on the grain and no reviews to read I suppose... I guess I won't know how it is till I try it
brat
Bootlegger

Post by brat »

This comes down to what's cheaper. Flavor wise am sure you won't be able to taste much difference. I always try to buy local. But since I live in the city that's not always possible.
Lamannamal
Novice

Post by Lamannamal »

They are exactly the same price. If there won't be much of a flavor difference then I will support my local grower
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

There are a lot of beautiful farms there in central PA. So they must know how to grow grains. Malting grains is a little different though, as the process requires some specialized equipment. But if the local producers can have their grain malted properly, then why not use the locally produced grains? It has to be fresher, right?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

As long as the diastatic power is the same it doesn't matter.
Ya wanna make an Irish whiskey? Go with what's cheapest.
Lamannamal
Novice

Post by Lamannamal »

So I went to my home brew shop and bought a 50 pound bag of the local barley malt and 10 pounds of the only peated malted barley they had. The only thing they could tell me about the peated barley was that it was a lovibond of 2.5 They said a little will go a long way, however they think I'm making beer so idk...

On a side note, I asked them if they could crush the grains for me and they said they would but it would cost 10 cents a pound more.. I agreed to that so they brought out the grains and brought me to the mill and said when I'm done just come up to pay for it, I'm not sure if that's how it usually works but I told the worker that if I was paying for it I shouldn't have to do it myself, so they didn't charge me the 10 cents a pound.

Here is the information on the local grown barley malt
The ph on that picture got cut off... its 5.9
It also said filtration time is normal and the clarity is hazy
Attachments
IMG_2672.JPG