Should I choose between whole wheat or bran for bourbon?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Should I choose between whole wheat or bran for bourbon?

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Going to the feed store anyways and figured I would pickup a 50lb bag of either while I'm picking up a bag of cracked corn. I plan to mash with a decent amount of malted barley.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Should I choose between whole wheat or bran for bourbon?

Post by bitter »

I'd do wheat
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

bitter wrote:I'd do wheat
+1.

But when you mash the unmalted wheat, do a temperature rest at 120-125*F. It'll help reduce the long protein molecules and aid in conversion when you get the mash temperature up to 140-148*F for saccrification. Start your corn separately and gelatinize at 190*F for a couple of hours. Then bring it down to 148-150*F and mix with the rest of the mash.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

But when you mash the unmalted wheat, do a temperature rest at 120-125*F. It'll help reduce the long protein molecules and aid in conversion when you get the mash temperature up to 140-148*F for saccrification. Start your corn separately and gelatinize at 190*F for a couple of hours. Then bring it down to 148-150*F and mix with the rest of the mash.
ss

Protein rest with unmalted wheat. Still stirrin can you either point me to some more info or elaborate on this.. I've just got into unmalted wheat myself and wish I had known about this step last week lol.

How long a rest? Also why would you recommend doing the corn seperated. Could you not have it all in the bop minus the malt and still do the protein rest. Or does the malt need to be in with the unmalted for that protein rest to work
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

still_stirrin wrote:
bitter wrote:I'd do wheat
+1.

ss
Sounds good I'll try that. I'm contemplating malting some of the wheat myself to make the mash go a little better so might do a mix of malted and unmalted in the mash.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

malting wheat is not that hard. I soak 8 hours then drain and rest for 8 hours and soak another 8 hours and drain... Then let go spread out covered with a damp cloth. Stir it morning and night and watch till its done.

B