Some Rice input?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guerilla Distillah
Novice

Some Rice input?

Post by Guerilla Distillah »

Attention Ricers and Mashers(that's a chefs joke),

So I have read as many rice related threads as I could find here and outside of UJ's rice Vodka thread(which was the inspiration for my interest, along with my wife's Japanese nationality and affinity for rice), I could not find anything that recently went into detail on how they mash their rice for vodka. I was hoping someone might have some experience with cooking and prepping rice to ferment now that the high temp liquid enzymes are available, maybe facilitating the enzymatic process without the multitude of temp rests? And my wife made a good point last night and wondered your thoughts. She asked what rice I was planning use and when I told her long grain CA rice she winced, A) cuz she's a rice snob but also pondered if Japanese rice might give a better sugar yield cuz its extra starchy and is always rinsed copiously before cooking and sluffs off a very cloudy runoff until fully rinsed whereas virtually none of the other rices here in America do this. thoughts?

Thanks

GD
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: Some Rice input?

Post by ShineRunner »

I'm finishing up on some uncle Remus rice vodka and I mashed basically the same protocol as I do for corn. High temp enzymes, stir, let the mash cool and then add sebamyl at 145.

I used cheapo long grain rice from Sams club. Not sure how the others would turn out, but there was some discussion on it. Did you read the entire original thread or only the condensed thread? There's some info in there about how s-cack, MCH, Swedish and a few others did theirs with enzymes. Also a discussion about grain length and using koji balls.
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

ShineRunner wrote:I'm finishing up on some uncle Remus rice vodka and I mashed basically the same protocol as I do for corn. High temp enzymes, stir, let the mash cool and then add sebamyl at 145.

I used cheapo long grain rice from Sams club. Not sure how the others would turn out, but there was some discussion on it. Did you read the entire original thread or only the condensed thread? There's some info in there about how s-cack, MCH, Swedish and a few others did theirs with enzymes. Also a discussion about grain length and using koji balls.

Thanks SR, exactly what I hopin fer. that too is my SOP for corn. any chance you post a link to the discussion thread of which you speak? Thanks.

GD
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I do a rice neutral which is based basicly on Uncle Remus recipe from the Tried and True Recipes..
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=47996

Here is the recipe and the way I do it for a 27L batch and gives about a 10% abv..

2.5 K calrose rice
3 K white sugar
3 tsp DAP
1 tsp Citric acid
1/2 tsp Epsom salt
3 tsp Alpha enzymes
3 tsp Gluco enzymes
70 grs Baker's yeast

(This method is for using powder enzymes)

I rinse the rice well with cold and soak for 24 hours in 6 liter of water.
After soaking, in the evening I mash the rice a big pot ( the one I use is 18 liters anything smaller will be tight)..
Starting from room temp, I heat the rice to 165F degree using just under full power on a stove top, stirring at a rate of about 1 rotation per second, making sure not to scorch the rice..
When 165 is reached the first time, I add 1 liter of room temp water, and continue to heat it back up to 165 again..
When 165 is reached the second time, another 1 liter of room temp water, and continue to heat it back up to 165 again..
When 165 is reached a third time, stop the heat and let it rest, insulating the pot with a big bath towel for 15 to 30 minutes..
Then after the rest period, I check for a temp of 155F and at that temp, I add 3 tsp of Alpha enzymes, one at a time and stirring after each applications, (as the rice will have become a solid mass, but the addition of the enzymes will liquifiy it), after which I insulate again and let it work overnight.. (after an hour or so, giving it a good stir will help some)
In the morning the temp is usually around 100F, I then add the Gluco enzymes, give it a good stir, and let it rest for an hour before adding it to the fermenter, which has the sugar already dissolved in 12 liter of 85F water..
Top up to the 27 liter level with water that will give an 85F temp, give it a good stir, add the yeast..
It will ferment out in 7-8 days at a temp range of 82-84F for an SG of 1.070 at start(at 85F) and an FG of 0.990 at finish (at 80F)(the SG's are unadjusted temp reading)

Once the fermentation is done, filter the wash through the geotex fabric, and will recover most the sediment, for rice create lot of milky like sediment.. on a 27L wash there will be about 6 -7 liter of this sediment..
After filter give it a few days, then rack into carboys or to the boiler and stripped..

Makes a very smooth fine neutral, and it's the best that I've tried in neutrals..

(I just recently purchased liquid enzymes, but need to finish off the powder one first.. using the liquid enzymes will require a different mashing process, maybe something in the line of corn mashing)

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I recently finished three batches of AG rice using jasmine rice from Thailand. I used the same protocol as I do for Booners Casual Corn and it couldn't have been easier. I milled the rice in my Corona and then mashed 13 lbs of rice in 5 gallons of water, converted with liquid enzymes, and psuedo-sparged to get to a final volume of 6.5 gallons. I prefer to ferment off-grain, and I previously used to BIAB and squeeze, but now strain using 600 micron strainers for 5-gallon buckets. The beauty of using rice is that it literally strains itself.

I like to let my product "rest" for 8 weeks but I helped myself to the few ounces leftover from bottling. Even young it showed promise.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

URRV full version: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=5368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

Ok...Just finished up my rice cook session. I heated 7gal of water to 180. added 25lbs of milled rice. used a paint stirrer on a cordless drill just like for corn, worked GREAT!! once rice was fully wet I added 1.5 TBSP of liquid enzyme A. temp settled out at 170. let it sit for 1 hr strirring every 15 min or so. Then added a gallon of cold water and lit the fire and stirred more frequently till temp came back to 165. rested for 30 min, stirred in 8 lbs of white sugar, stirred to dissolve. added enough cold water to drop temp to 150. added 2 cups of distillers malt and 1.5 TBSP of liquid enzyme B. split into two fermenters evenly and topped to a total of 14gal of water added. tossed my current yeast starter in the fridge to crash it out. sterilized a growler and filled halfway. After dinner out this evening I will decant and add enough of growler "wort" to swirl and pick the sedimented yeast trub I will "pitch' in growler shake real well, drop in stir bar and let it go til morning and pitch into fermenters first thing when I get up. We shall see.

GD
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Sounds like it went pretty well for you. Don't think it matters, but why did you only heat your strike water to 180? I would think your rice would break down faster and more completely at the higher temp. I did 2 batches- I heated both with steam, but the first one stopped at 170. The second batch went to 185 and got much more out of that batch than the first. Just a thought.

I just made cuts on mine. Stripped on the grain in the thumper, then 2 spirit runs with water in the thumper. I was hoping to get by with just 1 thumper spirit run, but it still had too much flavor. I did the third run and the results were very nice.

Good luck!

SR
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Personally, I would have skipped the added sugar. What was the OG before and after adding the sugar ?

Guerilla Distillah
Novice

greggn wrote:Personally, I would have skipped the added sugar. What was the OG before and after adding the sugar ?
Embarrassed to say I didn't check cuz it hot and I have a stoner aversion to math....:) I had the tail of a bag of sugar I need to use so it was just an after grout. If I had to hazard an educated guess probably 1.055ish. Final was 1.068.

GD
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> If I had to hazard an educated guess probably 1.055ish. Final was 1.068.

I hit 1.065 with 13 lbs milled rice in a final volume of 6.5 gallons wort. No added sugar.

Guerilla Distillah
Novice

My rice was not milled to cornmeal size. That would perhaps increase my efficiency

GD