Honey?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Honey?

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys, for my next try at a grain recipe I was thinkn of doing a corn- barley or corn /wheat bill, but use honey instead of granulated sugar to up my alcohol. Has anyone ever done this? Doesn't have to be jus a grain recipe I mean would using honey instead of plain ol sugar help or do anythin different ?
semper fi
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Honey?

Post by Still Life »

It's been done successfully. If my notes are correct, it's a slow ferment and doesn't hit dry completely.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

I still have a great deal to learn on the chemistry n science behind conversion n fermentation, but I was just thinks maybe since honey is a different type of sugar other than regular granulated maybe it'd give different or better qualities? No clue what it's qualities would be- but jus wondered if it'd make a positive difference
semper fi
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Around here, unless you're a bee keeper, honey is $$$. And there is a lot of nonfermentable "stuff" in honey, not unlike molasses. So, it won't taste or ferment the same as cane sugar.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Yup you sure can

Get some and try it.

So I'm tole
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Search braggot recipes , that is the mead beer you are describing, supposedly first distilled into whisky in 356 AD. Weather that's really true or not for sure it can and has been done. :thumbup:
Edit OK just did a quick check and threads on here are spotty so failing one of the guys that make it chiming in ya might want to search the web. I know they are around as I was going to make some out of a kerosene tin of honey that sugared. I got some hives but they are 800kms from me and neglected for many years. Be surprised if they're still viable but I would like to try braggot whiskey one day
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
twisted_times
Novice

Post by twisted_times »

Would an unpasturized local honey have enough yeast to overcome the "intended" pitched yeast colony? Mead is often made with the wild yeast in the honey ( just repeating what I have read) but I hear the results are not to consistent as the bee could land on dog poop then the hive. Or a nice pretty flower then the hive. For a controled yeast colony wouldn't it have to be pasturized then used in the mash for sake of duplicating the results?
* HEY YOU GUYYYYYYYYSSSSS*.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Most fermentation is a Darwinian struggle - "Survival of the fittest" :twisted: between competing yeasts ! (and some bacteria :shock: )
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Ole boys ain't ever seen bees work dog mess.
What in the world you feedin your dogs?

So I'm tole
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

goose eye wrote:Ole boys ain't ever seen bees work dog mess.
What in the world you feedin your dogs?
So I'm tole
Were thinking what sorta honey blow flys make, whatevery they selling I ain't buyin :sick:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Check shared recipes to see how I did honey and cracked corn. Good stuff. The backset is priceless.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
RafaelArroyo
Novice

Post by RafaelArroyo »

twisted_times wrote:Would an unpasturized local honey have enough yeast to overcome the "intended" pitched yeast colony? Mead is often made with the wild yeast in the honey ( just repeating what I have read) but I hear the results are not to consistent as the bee could land on dog poop then the hive. Or a nice pretty flower then the hive. For a controled yeast colony wouldn't it have to be pasturized then used in the mash for sake of duplicating the results?
Microbes generally need to maintain a certain ratio of water to things that aren't water to survive ("osmotolerance" in science speak). What little can live in pure honey will die or get outcompeted when you make your wash. That's why we can make hooch with it even though the raw stuff keeps for thousands of years. When people make mead with wild yeast, they're using microbes in the air and general environment, not ones found in the raw materials like cider and eau de vies. That's my understanding, anyway.
Brewing hydrometers are $10-12. A refractometer can be had for $18. You're going to break at least one hydrometer, probably more. Do the math.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

jb-texshine wrote:Check shared recipes to see how I did honey and cracked corn. Good stuff. The backset is priceless.
Jbt
mmm...honey corn bourbon. A top shelf favorite!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Down to my last beer bottle or two.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!