My Malting Journey Begins

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

panikry83
Swill Maker

Re: My Malting Journey Begins

Post by panikry83 »

So, I'm starting a small test mash, 2 quarts water heated to 165F, I mashed in 1.5# crushed corn - probably not the best crush, I'm still trying to find the sweet spot on my corona mill. I'll let it mash for 90 minutes, shaking every 15 to mix. I'll check iodine and OG. See what I get, and try and ferment it. I'm interested to see if this works out. As always, any feedback is welcome and I'll keep you all updated.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Congrats on your malt, sounds like it worked out great.

One way to keep mash temps with a small test batch is to put the mash in mason jars and then drop them in a preheated, larger water bath, something like 5 gallons. Will help keep mash temps steady.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Congrats on your malt, sounds like it worked out great.

One way to keep mash temps with a small test batch is to put the mash in mason jars and then drop them in a preheated, larger water bath, something like 5 gallons. Will help keep mash temps steady.
Damit MCH ! Why didnt this come up before when I was struggling with my barly malt.

God job with getting this ball rolling m8. You're going to love malting.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

panikry83 wrote:my standard pharmacy H2O2 is preservative free and 3%, diluted down to 1% with regular tap water
That should be easier to find than locating a hydroponic shop in my neck of the woods. Thanks
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

So, not the greatest test mash BUT, I'm a straight up noob when it comes to all grain. Where's my UJ throw it in a bucket and forget it, brah? OG was 1.026 @ 65F, totally failed iodine test, haha. Whatever, I threw yeast at it and it's got a little yeast fuzziness on top. I'll let it do it's thing and see what I get. Obviously, not the best scenario but, the point is - I malted corn and it's EASY. I'll get the process down and I'll be on it. I'lll need SCD to get over here and show me the AG ropes now. Soon I'll be doing it all but growing it.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

On the last 20 lb. Germinating now. SCD and I have a plan for this malt - hopefully, we'll be able to share it with y'all at Truckin's in the fall. Process is pretty easy - no reason not to give it a try and see how it works yourselves. Plus, its another branch on the hobby distilling tree thats very accessible.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Well, I was away for the weekend and the last 15# of corn I had germinating went rotten - smelt like someone took a shit in the bucket. So, that got dumped out. Ive got around 30# malted so I guess that's what I'm gonna mash this coming weekend. It's an experimental mash SCD and I are gonna try, no big hopes for it one way or the other but, if it goes well I should get may be a gallon of corn whiskey (~120 proof) out of it for SCD and I to split, age half and keep the other half white. I'll throw some sugar on the spent grains and make a vodka mash out of the rest then, compost everything left over. Malting was fun and pretty easy, I think I'll definitely keep going with it, try some new grains and what not. Anyway hats my story, hope you al enjoyed it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

For sure we enjoyed it . No need to quit since you have gotten a handle on it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .