GNS making for Gin

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

GNS making for Gin

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone, I have been making Odin's gin twice by using All-Bran wash to make my neutral, so from what I read GNS is mainly used for Gin Making, first of all does it make a big difference ? is it worth doing it from Grain ? I have tried to find a GNS recipe from the forum but I could not so can someone please share a GNS recipe with me, I am also a beer brewer and have a Speidel Braumesiter what I do not know is which grain I should be using to make the GNS and how ? I would appreciate if someone share a recipe with me.

Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: GNS making for Gin

Post by still_stirrin »

Simple....grain neutral spirit (GNS)
https://caskstrength.wordpress.com/2014 ... gs-or-gns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://broadslabdistillery.com/Moonshin ... nking.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectified_spirit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Made from grains (wheat is used often because of price and availability) and distilled and filtered.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

SS so it means that a normal vodka is called GNS but do you think it will give a better flavour to gin compared to Sugar Wash ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:SS so it means that a normal vodka is called GNS but do you think it will give a better flavour to gin compared to Sugar Wash ?
Did you read the links I provided?

Some vodka is made from GNS. Some gins could be too. Even some whiskey is made from GNS. GNS is like modelling clay...you can use it to shape whatever you want.

Is it "better than a sugar wash".....better by "who's" standards?
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Commercial distilleries use GNS because it's cheap and easier than making a base neutral. I can use GNS and make a bottle of vodka for ~$3 or I can make it and it costs more. Btw I make my vodka.

It is commonly used as a base for gin. Some gin distillers that I have talked to say, the magic of the gin is in the botanicals, not the base.

Some GNS might be as good as your neutral, some might not. I can buy it made from various bases, sugar, wheat, corn, etc, depends what taste you need/want. I would make my own if I was working at home.
Last edited by bluefish_dist on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

still_stirrin wrote:
artooks wrote:SS so it means that a normal vodka is called GNS but do you think it will give a better flavour to gin compared to Sugar Wash ?
Did you read the links I provided?

Some vodka is made from GNS. Some gins could be too. Even some whiskey is made from GNS. GNS is like modelling clay...you can use it to shape whatever you want.

Is it "better than a sugar wash".....better by "who's" standards?
I asked this in terms of the taste between a sugar wash alcohol and GNS.

Thanks
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

GNS can be from sugar. So it could taste the same as your sugar based neutral. It also might be from wheat or corn and taste different. If you like the taste of corn or wheat you can make a neutral from those bases and use that in your gin.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you SS, I read all the links yes I understand what it is now, we have it here also, and unfortunately, some people use it to make spirits easy way but the problem is we could not know exactly what is used generally here in Turkey it is made of beet molasses I did not know that a GNS is made with other things apart from the grain, anyway I get it know so as far as I understand there is no need to use a GNS to make a better gin, I think I am fine with ALL-Bran wash.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

The problem with GNS normally the cuts are not great... so you really should distill it again and make cuts to clean it up before making gin or Vodka.

B
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you Bluefish_dist I get it now, I will stick with my All-Bran Wash
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I think you are wasting your time, any good neutral spirit will make good gin.
If there was any difference at all it would be a very minimal difference.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Wheat does have flavours that compliment gin, so I suspect wheat GNS is a good gin base. I haven't tried it yet, but I am thinking seriously about making some for my next gin base.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Go to the liquor store and look for EverClear 190, Graves, Gem Clear or whatever your area sells at 190 proof.
Same thing except a TTB Distiller can order it by the 55 gallon drum for cheap.

Just because it is 190 proof, doesn't mean it has no taste!

Disclaimer---any alcohol above 140 proof can destroy human cells. Don't drink this stuff undiluted.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005