Micronized flaked maize

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Micronized flaked maize

Post by Pikey »

I used this stuff in my first washes as a sour mash (several iterations) - It seemed ok at the time and produced my first "Whiskey"

http://balancedhorsefeeds.co.uk/composi ... sed-maize/

It seems on further investigation that the process involves gelatinising much of the starch before drying. I believe that we "Outsiders" cannot get "Sweetcorn" - which I understand is what the US boys use for "whiskey" - bummer ! and I believe that is why Odin turned to "cornflakes" in his recipe.

However, I'm wondering whether, if teh starch has already been released as the blurb says - whether it would be acceptable to saccarify the starch using low temperatures by using barley malt in an AG format. I have the kit to hold any temperature I want indefinitely and am tempted to use this as an economical (and perhaps "Less sticky") first venture towards AG.

Opinions please ?

And suggestions as to temperatures and durations welcome. I know der wo speaks of temperatures a little lower than those normally accepted and was thinking of following his suggestions on this.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Micronized flaked maize

Post by frunobulax »

It really sounds like it's flaked corn used in home brewing. If it has been gelatinized, you shouldn't have to do a cereal mash, so it should convert with malted barley at lower mashing temps.
If you have some, do a stove top mini mash with, say a pound of that and a half pound of malted barley, check the gravity and see what kind of sugar ya get out of it.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Micronized flaked maize

Post by Pikey »

Thanks for that, that's how I saw it.

Like the idea of a mini mash 8)

I may have some from a few years ago (7) when I started, and I have some old malt too - so that controlled and c heap way of finding out in my mini boiler (10 litre) seems like a great idea.

Can't "still" that amount - well maybe I can ! - my pot's only 25 litres and underfloor element. Thanks for the suggestion :)