Grinding Question

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Grinding Question

Post by gsugg »

I've got a Corona style grinding mill. I just bought a 14 inch swamp cooler pulley and modified to fit in place of grinder pulley. I also have 1/2 HP, and a 1 HP 1725 rpm electric motor off furnace fan. But the pulley on the fans is 3 inch and that doesn't slow down the grinder enough 14 / 3. That only gives me about 325 rpm which is too much. What do you guys suggest, find a smaller drive pulley or maybe use a gear reduction motor? Any ideas where I can find a standard inner shaft hole and maybe a 1 inch O.D. pulley for the drive?
Thanks gsugg
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Grinding Question

Post by greggn »

I use my power controller to slow down my 1/2" drill when milling ... a lot easier than gear/pulley reduction.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Good idea. I've got a power controller and ampmeter on my 5500W heating element so that might work great.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Do you have a pillow block or something else to support the stress on the grinder shaft if using pullys?
I just run a drill by hand but I would think that pullys and a motor would cause a lot of wear on the grinder shaft.

What's too fast? I run a drill motor wide open and can grind up 20# of corn in under 3 minutes. Not sure what my rpm is though.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

For the Corona mill, 1 rev/sec is "wide open", that is...about as fast as you can grind. Even at that, the Corona works best when spinning a little slower.

Roller mills can grind at faster speeds because the gap is adjusted to "crush" the husks. The Corona mill uses a shear plate to crack the grains into pieces and with a high speed grind, it will pulverize the kernals, turning it into a flour with an uneven coarseness.

Commercial mills are most often 2 or 3 roller mills. They give uniform crack/grind and have a steady, high thoughput. Emulating what the pros do will help us hobbiests replicate, or improve upon the products commercially produced.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MichiganCornhusker
retired

1 rev/sec? I'm tellin ya I can run that thing much faster! If I didn't put a cover on it it would shoot a rooster tail of corn meal straight up to the ceiling. And it does indeed pulverize, even raw dried field corn.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree with MC, if your going with pulleys I would also incorporate pillow blocks. Drill motors are quicker but having hands free to pour grain into the hopper is worth the build. The negative is that it probably takes up more space in your work space.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:1 rev/sec? I'm tellin ya I can run that thing much faster! If I didn't put a cover on it it would shoot a rooster tail of corn meal straight up to the ceiling. And it does indeed pulverize, even raw dried field corn.
Ditto . I want a flourlike grind . I get a better conversion . Remember , I'm cooking on propane and stirring constantly with a paddle mixer .
I have the same concerns about excessive wear with a belt/pulley drive .
I grind corn 3 times to make it easier on the mill/drill .
*Note : speed controllers will not work on induction motors . The motor must have brushes .
SRD and I have been using my grinder since last December with no appreciable wear running wide open .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Yes, as TB does so do I.
I should have said 3 min per pass, 3 passes being the perfect grind.
And fewer snapped drive bolts.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We have snapped 1 since December . Whole oats are harder to grind than corn :oops:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i 2nd the last 2 posts.
i grind 3 times also.
comes out like flour and is not hard on the mill
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

gsugg wrote:That only gives me about 325 rpm which is too much. What do you guys suggest
The variable speed 1/2" drill I use to spin my corona grinder is advertised as 850 rpm max
And I run it wide open, but it probably only spins 500ish rpm because it's working hard.
If I was trying to spin a corona mill with an 1725 rpm electric motor and 14/3 reduction.
I'd monitor the motors current with a clamp-on amp meter
And adjust the grinder so the motor doesn't pull more amperage than it's rated for.
Just a thought, if you try to use too small of a pulley, get ready for the sound of a belt slipping :lol: