whiskey with 4 different grain

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

whiskey with 4 different grain

Post by Kabundokan »

home distillers,

specifically asking, I am going to make a 4 grain whiskey. does anyone know what you name a batch using 4 different grains? mostly equal parts; rye, oat, barley, and corn.
I have been really thinking of making that so if anyone here know what name it would be appropriate. and if anyone have done such thing. I like to experiment.

Kabundokan.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: whiskey with 4 different grain

Post by FullySilenced »

Have you tried making it with just one grain at this point... say all barley or all wheat?

Or maybe a UJSM?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

>anyone know what you name a batch using 4 different grains?

Betty-Lou.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kabundokan wrote:...does anyone know what you name a batch using 4 different grains? mostly equal parts; rye, oat, barley, and corn.
Well, my bourbon is corn, oats, & barley....I call it C.O.B....get it? Add a little rye malt and you've got B.O.R.C. or C.O.R.B. But seriously, the name doesn't affect how it tastes, does it?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

There are several 4 grain whiskies on the market, some are called Four Grain Bourbon, some Multi Grain. I will grind in the morning 2 row malt, pearled barley, oats and corn for a mash; I will call mine Irish Whiskey.

BG
Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kabundokan »

I've done straight corn, corn with malted barley, rye with barley and corn, oats, but I just thought of asking maybe someone has specific name for the recipe I am making. I know it won't effect the taste what ever but I just don't know what to call it if friends come over and have a drink while playing pool and if they like it I don't want to say all the grain I put in there.
well "still_stirrin" gave me an idea. I just want to call this recipe with a shorter term than corn/rye/oat/barley whiskey. lol.. borc
thank you "still_stirrin"

"FullySilenced" I've done ujsm. I've tried straight corn; corn and barley; rye, corn and barley; rye and barley. I've even tried crushed sweet feeds that has no molasses added.
thanks "FullySilenced" for suggesting.

"boda getta" "multi grain" just sounded like a breakfast cereal, but that should be really good name for it as well.
thank you "boda getta"
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I say all whiskeys are whiskey, so just call it that. If you want to give it something more descriptive, just call it whatever style it tastes like. To me, that will depend as much on how you run it and finish it as it does the grains. EG tight cuts and used or light oak I bet it'll taste irish. New charred oak, it'll taste like a bourbon. Etc.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Zapata;
Definitely going for a Irish whiskey style; I just filled a 5 gal keg with a wheated Bourbon of 70% corn, 16% red wheat and 14% 2 row. It is in a 2nd-3rd fill keg but I will leave it until it has good color. The Irish whiskey I'm working on is a pretty standard Irish whiskey grain bill but the main difference is that I will triple distill it, then into a used charred keg. I may finish it in a Madeira keg (a well used charred keg I will soak in, then drain, a bottle or two of Madeira wine.) I did a single malt last summer with that method that turned out amazing.

BG
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That sounds delicious boda!
Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kabundokan »

We have a local wine making place here and I occasionally visit to buy yeast or equipment. But they asked me if I want oak chips that they accumulated from people who doesn't want them. Well 3$ tp 7$ a small packet from a home brew store in the city and I just got about 200 packets for FREE... light oak, dark oak, some sort of them. So then I can use them for all my grain whiskeys.
Mainly, I hope this MULTIGRAIN CORB WHISKEY would be one of my best tasting home made whiskey.
I have read from google that water affects the taste and smoothness of a drink. I've been using a straight from a well water.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Well if you like Irish whiskey, you could call it CORriB whiskey, as the river Corrib is one of the main rivers in Ireland and runs through Galway in Ireland. Just shooting the breeze with the name. Jimy

Sent from my HUAWEI Y625-U21 using Tapatalk