Old grains

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Old grains

Post by Shine0n »

I have some old pale malt, white and red wheat malt that got put away for a HBB, well I've been working out of town pretty much since March and they've been sitting in paper bags I bought them in.

They're wrapped tightly and I opened one a couple weeks ago to add to my infected dunder. well that worked (lacto) but the grains didn't smell fresh, that kinda smelled like the paper bag they were in.

Will the dp drop from the malted grains? I didn't see any bugs, I'm thinking of a sugar head or should I give the malt a chance then go sugar?

What would you do?

Shine0n
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Old grains

Post by der wo »

Do the grains feel dry? When you eat a kernel, is it crispy or does it fell like gum? Crispy is good.

But generally malt is cheaper than my time. I don't want to make a Whiskey and then realize, that it would taste better, when I had buyed new grain.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

der wo, how do you know old and possibly fucked up grains don't make a decent drink? You've made some strange shit. ShineOn, why not mash it. If you're worried about DP, add some enzymes. If SG is low, add sugar. Whatever you do, it's all fun and educational.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

But I am a white man in a rich country. I have the inborn right to have double standards all the time. :lol:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

der wo wrote:But I am a white man in a rich country. I have the inborn right to have double standards all the time. :lol:
bwahahaha, that's good shit there!!!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

very crispy! I'll mash and see, I don't have or want to order enzymes but will one day I'm sure.

Just like when I said I'm happy with sugarheass, BAM, I tried AG and fell in love.

I want to do all corn but I don't want to malt my own corn so enzymes it is and next thing you know I'll try malting corn and find a new love.

I have room for all this type of shit but I'm to tired at days end to mess with it all.

Until I try it then... Bam!!! a new love will be born. lol

I'll try mashing them tomorrow and see what happens. I can always go buy 50 lbs sugar for 15 bucks if it fails.
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

der wo wrote:But I am a white man in a rich country. I have the inborn right to have double standards all the time. :lol:
Love it.