Hard red winter wheat score

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Happyhollow
Novice

Hard red winter wheat score

Post by Happyhollow »

Cruising the local Craigslist and somebody has about 450lbs of wheat for sale for 150$ I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it. That would last me quite some time. That would be enough wheat for 15 run by my recipe minus the rye and barley. 30$ for the rye and 15$ for barley. So for 55$ I can run a 30 gallon all grain batch or add 30 lbs of sugar and get a bit more booze. That a hard predicament to be in. I said ill see him Friday evening about 5 o'clock. :mrgreen:
30 all copper pot and thumper.
25 gallon stainless pot and thumper.
I think a lot more people would make it if they weren't scared of getting caught.
H.H.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Hard red winter wheat score

Post by still_stirrin »

What a bargain!!!!.....for the seller!

Wheat sells for about $3.00/bushel at the COOP and a bushel is about 60 lb., making the 450 lb = 7-1/2 bushels...about $24 worth of grain. And on top of that, the local graineries are overstocked with wheat from this year's harvest.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Happyhollow
Novice

Post by Happyhollow »

Where state are you in?
I think a lot more people would make it if they weren't scared of getting caught.
H.H.
Happyhollow
Novice

Post by Happyhollow »

Thats still cents on the $ a pound compared to the local brew store that sells it for more then that. Around here it don't seem like a bad deal. Ill ha e to look more into it I guess.
H.H.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

HH,

The wheat price I quoted you is the market price of wheat producers product. It is not a malted grain. Rather, it's what the farmers get when they sell their grain to the elevator where it goes to market. But, grain can be bought from the COOP just as easy. And it is significantly cheaper (and much fresher) than the local home-brew store.

And I live in a state/region where wheat is a produced crop...not so unusual really. Other "cash crops" included corn and soybeans...and even some rye, although not all elevators will take rye.

Again, none of these are malted grains...they're "raw". Typically, they're dried to around 10-12% moisture so they will store well, yet retain good protein (carbohydrate potential) content. During harvest this year, I took a sack of wheat (about a bushel) home for brewing. Nice big berries...and very "bready" when chewed. Makes a great addition to a grain bill.
ss
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

How does one find such a COOP locally?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

zapata wrote:How does one find such a COOP locally?
Really it should be as easy as Googling 'YOUR COUNTY' Farmer Coop.
That's how I found mine.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That just gets me farmers markets, CSAs, the state university extension office and an insurance/credit agency. I don't live in the middle of the breadbasket, but I'm not in NYC either, there's fields less than .5 mile from my house. Wonder if we call them something else than a coop? I am in the south, and southerners typically don't do coop stuff as much as in some parts of the country, at least regarding food, housing and retail coops are pretty uncommon around here.

Would this be like a 1 per county whatever farmers need kinda coop? Or there might be several, like 1 for buying fertilizer, one for selling wheat, 3 competing for corn etc?

(I just heard my grandaddy sigh from the grave that I know so little about farming...)
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

zapata wrote:That just gets me farmers markets, CSAs, the state university extension office and an insurance/credit agency. I don't live in the middle of the breadbasket, but I'm not in NYC either, there's fields less than .5 mile from my house. Wonder if we call them something else than a coop? I am in the south, and southerners typically don't do coop stuff as much as in some parts of the country, at least regarding food, housing and retail coops are pretty uncommon around here.

Would this be like a 1 per county whatever farmers need kinda coop? Or there might be several, like 1 for buying fertilizer, one for selling wheat, 3 competing for corn etc?

(I just heard my grandaddy sigh from the grave that I know so little about farming...)
You've got me there. Search for:
County Grain Elevator Association or County Farmer's Market.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

zapata wrote:...there's fields less than .5 mile from my house...(I just heard my grandaddy sigh from the grave that I know so little about farming...)
Well, you COULD ask your neighbor, or whoever farms the field near your house where he hauls his grain to sell it.

Also, look for those tall concrete storage bins with the elevator leg poking the sky above them...that's where the grains are stored before shipping on the rail cars. There is undoubetly someone nearby who can answer your question and possibly even sell you a bushel or 6 at an unheard of reasonable price....like "free"...for a bottle of your product.

If you live where these fields are actively farmed, you should not have to ask here (on the website) how to find the graineries....it should be more-than-evident.
ss
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

*edit, "grain elevator" did it. 3 within 10 miles. Cool, thanks for the patience.

Finding farmers is actually kinda hard around here. Its a semi- suburban area, so most fields are smallish, and are not farmed by the owners. Land owners inherited the farms, and sit on them for developement or sell them off piece by piece. The actual farmers just pay the landowner a relatively small fee per season. So while there are fields everywhere, and I could find out who owns them, tracking them down and then finding their farmer is less obvious. I don't even know if much wheat is grown here, mostly I see corn and soybeans. I know it can be grown because I've read the how-to docs the state ag extension publishes, I just havent noticed it much.