Aromatic Malt?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gundog48
Novice

Aromatic Malt?

Post by gundog48 »

Through a series of unlikely events I've acquired 25Kg of Chateau Aromatic Malt.

I use the odd bit in some beers, but it's a specialty malt that you would only add a small amount of, so 25Kg will last me a lifetime... unless I make whiskey.

My understanding of this type of malt is that it adds an exaggerated malty aroma/flavour. My thought was to make up two regular 40L brews of 75-100% aromatic malt, ferment like a normal beer with some extra enzyme additions, then distill like a normal whiskey. Depending on the result, I could either keep it as it is, or if the flavour is as concentrated as is suggested, blend it with something lighter like a batch of UJSSM.

Has anyone tried anything along these lines, or might have any input? I think I might make a 2L test batch and run it twice through my tiny little still to see how it comes out!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Aromatic Malt?

Post by der wo »

I made three Whiskies with 100% speciality malts:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=61934
Way more extreme ones than Chateau Aromatic Malt. On oak since almost a year. Highly recommended, at least if you have already enough normal AGs.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I tried to search for a diastatic power rating, but all I found from the maltster was a vague, "more dp than other specialty malts". Brewers friend has "belgian aromatic" at 30 dp and "american aromatic" at 20. So it's possible it might self convert. If you don't have dp specs you could do a small test batch to see if it fully converts, sterilize it and use it for a yeast starter for the full batch.

Also looks to only be about 25 pppg @75%. So probably be pretty low abv.
Sounds amazingly interesting. I'd love to taste it and cant imagine it wouldnt be great at least in a blend.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Chateau Aromatic Malt is the same as named Abbey or Monastique Malt elsewhere AFAIK. Perhaps you find more information with the other names.
I would add enzymes anyway.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg