what type of corn product to use for my corn whiskey?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Vlugenhagen
Novice

what type of corn product to use for my corn whiskey?

Post by Vlugenhagen »

Hey guys!

I have a small dilemma here. I'm trying to find cornmeal in the stores, but in The Netherlands, cornmeal is not popular since its not used in our cuisine :crazy: . We only have corn starch. I would like to know the differences between corn starch, cornmeal, and corn flour. Could I use cornstarch in my mash or would I not get any corn flavors?

And is cornmeal and cornflour and same thing?

Help would be greatly appreciated :D
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: what type of corn product to use for my corn whiskey?

Post by Pikey »

Hi, can't help directly, but Odin's "Cornflake" whiskey in teh Tried and true section comes from teh same problem.
I don't know whether you can get any of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mfp-Mirconize ... Swxp9W4W9T

But if you can talk someone into sending you some, it should do the job.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Corn starch is useless, it is pure starch, no flavor at all. It would just be an ineffecient way to make sugar.

Corn flour, polenta, corn meal, and grits are all the same thing just ground finer to courser.

All of these (other than corn starch) will work. They will miss a little something compared to whole corn because they have had the germ, husk, and oils removed. But they will still taste like corn.

A properly labeled "whole grain" or stone ground corn-anything (other than starch) still has the husk and germ and should be the same as an american grinding up whole corn for a mash.

http://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/d ... ts-article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
*edited cuz I misread the op
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

zapata wrote:Corn starch is useless, it is pure starch, no flavor at all. It would just be an ineffecient way to make sugar.

Corn flour, polenta, corn meal, and grits are all the same thing just ground finer to courser.

All of these (other than corn starch) will work. They will miss a little something compared to whole corn because they have had the germ, husk, and oils removed. But they will still taste like corn.

A properly labeled "whole grain" or stone ground corn-anything (other than starch) still has the husk and germ and should be the same as an american grinding up whole corn for a mash.

http://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/d ... ts-article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
*edited cuz I misread the op
+1 on everything said here. Try looking for polenta.

Others have reporting using breakfast cereal such as corn flakes etc. Personally have never tried this and not sure if this is available in your country.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

cornflakes works good for a UJ style drink, not sure about for AG though.
I've used flaked maize from the feed store, it works and gives a nice sweet ag but not a lot of flavour in the one I get my hands on, it may differ lots from brand to brand.
Don't be a dick
Vlugenhagen
Novice

Post by Vlugenhagen »

Thanks for the help guys!!. I now know the difference. I've noticed that cornmeal and cornflour are often used interchangeably in supermarket stores so I'm glad I know know the difference.

Zapata, thanks for the site. I'll check it out