Spicy malted rye?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TnSmokey
Novice

Spicy malted rye?

Post by TnSmokey »

So a friend of mine gave me a 10lb bag of malted spicy rye. I have never used it in a recipe, and was wondering if any of you have? I was curious what type of flavor profile it might have. Any input on this is appreciated.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Spicy malted rye?

Post by Still Life »

Dry, black peppery, spicy earthiness in the back of the throat.
Nothing like it. Not overwhelming by any means, and it's one of my favorites.

I made mine with corn at first. Then graduated to corn and roasted barley to really up the spice.
Nice change of pace, rye is.

Rye turns out well with plain old baker's yeast, too. No need to get fancy like I did at first.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Still Life wrote:Dry, black peppery, spicy earthiness in the back of the throat.
Nothing like it. Not overwhelming by any means, and it's one of my favorites.

I made mine with corn at first. Then graduated to corn and roasted barley to really up the spice.
Nice change of pace, rye is.

Rye turns out well with plain old baker's yeast, too. No need to get fancy like I did at first.
You've done 100% malted rye? One of my favourite whiskeys is a 100% rye, I'm gonna play around with malted vs raw rye ratio see what happens, but that's a long way off for me yet.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I did a rye single malt a couple of years ago, 100% malted rye. Not sure what "spicy" malted rye is, mine was just malted rye. It was OK and I still have a dram occasionally, but was a little disappointed in that it had little of the "spicy" taste of a rye whiskey made from raw rye. It is much milder than my normal go to rye Rittenhouse BIB. On the other hand I have also done a Single Malt Wheat, also 100% malted wheat that I was very pleased with, On the subject of wheat, I am stripping about 30 gals of a 70% wheat (raw) 30% Corn mash now. It is my last run of the year and I was using up some left over grain I had. Didn't even have any malted barley, I just used the grain and liquid enzyme, converted great , OG was 1.06'ish and finished at 1.001. Hoping for the best..... I like the wheat favor and pretty much have gone to wheat, instead of rye as the secondary grain in my bourbons. I stole the Makers grain bill of 70% corn, 16% Wheat and 14% malted barley, not Makers, but I have been very pleased.

Good luck,
BG
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Antler24 wrote: You've done 100% malted rye? One of my favourite whiskeys is a 100% rye, I'm gonna play around with malted vs raw rye ratio see what happens, but that's a long way off for me yet.
I have never done 100%.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

boda getta wrote:I did a rye single malt a couple of years ago, 100% malted rye. Not sure what "spicy" malted rye is, mine was just malted rye. It was OK and I still have a dram occasionally, but was a little disappointed in that it had little of the "spicy" taste of a rye whiskey made from raw rye. It is much milder than my normal go to rye Rittenhouse BIB. On the other hand I have also done a Single Malt Wheat, also 100% malted wheat that I was very pleased with, On the subject of wheat, I am stripping about 30 gals of a 70% wheat (raw) 30% Corn mash now. It is my last run of the year and I was using up some left over grain I had. Didn't even have any malted barley, I just used the grain and liquid enzyme, converted great , OG was 1.06'ish and finished at 1.001. Hoping for the best..... I like the wheat favor and pretty much have gone to wheat, instead of rye as the secondary grain in my bourbons. I stole the Makers grain bill of 70% corn, 16% Wheat and 14% malted barley, not Makers, but I have been very pleased.

Good luck,
BG
Thanks. My go to is Canadian Club 100% Rye. I'm going to start with 50/50 malted vs raw and go from there. I actually have a sugar head with Maker's Mark ready to run, though I'm undecided if I want to do single run with ujsm tails in thumper, or double run it. I'm waiting for some more oak to show up before I run it. Makers is my go to commercial bourbon, when I splurge I reach for Woodford Reserve. Also got some grain to start a sugarhead of that grain bill as soon as I have a feeling freed up.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Have always been afraid of a 100% raw rye because of it's reputation of foaming and infection of the grain.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Malted rye is....... maltier..... than unmalted rye. Smoother, less 'spicy'. There are a number of threads where you'll see comments from folks who observe unmalted grains have stronger, more representative flavors of the grain itself, whereas when you malt grains, they all have a certain character about them that is common to malt, thus reducing the strength of the grain flavor itself. Having said that, malted rye is distinctly rye flavored. It's really just preference and procedure that should dictate your choices.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

it's weird how tastebuds work. my wife finds black type peppers (like regular table black) really spicy, i don't. I find red type (e.g cayenne) blows me away and she doesn't find it spicy at all.
I did 100%malt rye. it was wayyy spicy, somewhat astringent a bit floral and has the taste of the way mown grass smells. it's been a while though.
Recently i have been doing a lot of 90%rye grain and 10% malt. the flavour and astringency were so strong i had to redistill it twice and then actually re-did some a 4th time and blended it back. it's not really spicy at all. sweet actually in the mid-note.
initial palate is rye grain grassy then sweet then followed by slightly astringent/cut grass then a bit of spice.

i'm circling back to a 100% malt but it will be december before i can offer more tasting notes as i have a bit off COBB to finish before getting to the rye malt.

the consistent thing is the flavour that tastes like mown grass smells.
Attachments
Aroma-Chemistry-The-Smell-of-Fresh-Cut-Grass-724x1024.png
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

HDNB wrote:it's weird how tastebuds work. my wife finds black type peppers (like regular table black) really spicy, i don't. I find red type (e.g cayenne) blows me away and she doesn't find it spicy at all.
I did 100%malt rye. it was wayyy spicy, somewhat astringent a bit floral and has the taste of the way mown grass smells. it's been a while though.
Recently i have been doing a lot of 90%rye grain and 10% malt. the flavour and astringency were so strong i had to redistill it twice and then actually re-did some a 4th time and blended it back. it's not really spicy at all. sweet actually in the mid-note.
initial palate is rye grain grassy then sweet then followed by slightly astringent/cut grass then a bit of spice.

i'm circling back to a 100% malt but it will be december before i can offer more tasting notes as i have a bit off COBB to finish before getting to the rye malt.

the consistent thing is the flavour that tastes like mown grass smells.
Interesting! Thanks for that. I had always read the malt was spicy with a cereal tasting sweetness, and the raw rye had a twangy fresh cut grass flavour. Doesn't sound like you were really fond of either, but we're they good? Did either one stand out above the other?
Swedish Pride wrote:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Antler24 wrote: Interesting! Thanks for that. I had always read the malt was spicy with a cereal tasting sweetness, and the raw rye had a twangy fresh cut grass flavour. Doesn't sound like you were really fond of either, but we're they good? Did either one stand out above the other?
i would agree, malt is spicier with a sweet note and the rye grain is deffo grassier and more astringent. And you are right, neither was my thing but almost everyone who tries it likes it.
I just fell into a bunch of organic rye from an old friend and what else was i gonna do? make bread?
the grain/malt one was better, but it was for the most part 4x distilled. (still a robust flavour if you can believe that.) It is all resting on oak now, and gets better all the time. maybe in another couple of years it will release it's awesomeness.
This time, farmer buddy has malted a bunch for me to try out. so i'll do a 100% malt and see what happens. try to remember to report back here. it's been so long since i did the first all malt rye, the memory is a bit sketch.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

HDNB wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 am i would agree, malt is spicier with a sweet note and the rye grain is deffo grassier and more astringent. And you are right, neither was my thing but almost everyone who tries it likes it.
I just fell into a bunch of organic rye from an old friend and what else was i gonna do? make bread?
the grain/malt one was better, but it was for the most part 4x distilled. (still a robust flavour if you can believe that.) It is all resting on oak now, and gets better all the time. maybe in another couple of years it will release it's awesomeness.
This time, farmer buddy has malted a bunch for me to try out. so i'll do a 100% malt and see what happens. try to remember to report back here. it's been so long since i did the first all malt rye, the memory is a bit sketch.
Hey HDNB, realize this is any old thread, but how did all this turn out?
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season