Malting Corn

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Malting Corn

Post by Dnderhead »

try a sample in a gallon wide mouth jar covered with stocking .mite keep out the "bugs".you can fill and rinse without taking it off.
if that works go bigger
Pervy Sage
Novice

Post by Pervy Sage »

if the corn malt is used "green," but the other grains are not green, does taste suffer for Bourbon and does it save a lot of mashing time?

I don't care about enzymes - just thinking it'd be softer & easier to mash than cracked corn.

How much does the flavor profile change, assuming I keep them in the dark to avoid chlorophyll from developing. And do the roots need to be removed?
Sweet As'
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

yep you want to keep covered, I thank spicy, I run threw two wooden rollers comes out looking like "flaked" or"roiled"
some scotch/irish has it added.not as much enzymes as barley.
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

SHINE on you crazy diamond !!!
texassquid
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by texassquid »

I malt corn in my garden. I rototill an area approx 6'x6'. I pull the dirt back about 3-4" deep and line the hole with an old blanket. Then I spread 50 lbs of feed corn and cover with another blanket. I wet all of this down and then cover with the dirt I originally pulled out of the hole. After 5 or 6 days I check daily until the malt is to my liking. It works like a charm and has never failed me yet.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molon labe
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

@trthskr4 do you mix the corn while it is growing?
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

@tater any reason the airstone needs to sit in the water to "scrub out the co2" since its heavier then air couldnt you have a mandrel for airline in corn holding bucket? Co2 would flow out bottom of bucket same place water? And with our small quantites is turning it nessacary if pumping air through it?