Phenols: A guide

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Phenols: A guide

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

I've started the Phenols article on the wiki. It is not complete but should provide a good start. As I research more I'll put in how to increase/decrease them and how to target specific ones.
The phenolic compounds, in particular phenol and cresol along with eugenol and guaiacol are the source of particularly strong, smoky and bitter flavors and aromas found within whisky. Eugenols occur in whisky and other spirits matured in oak barrels, imparting a strong strong and bitter flavors of clove and cinnamon.
http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Phenols" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

MDH: This one's for you. :)
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Phenols: A guide

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: As I research more I'll put in how to increase/decrease them and how to target specific ones.
This is what I'm also interested in...Another good page! Thank you again S.M.Y.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Bravo, SMY! Thanks again. I appreciate the great work you’re doing here.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Thanks guys. Phenols are a tough subject. Most stuff I find is that most phenolic aromas/flavors are external to the fermenting / distilling process. You pick up phenolic notes with peat/wood smoking of grains. Another route is wood treatment for aging. With a char you pick that up with heavier level (3,4). Toasting also helps with favorable phenol development.

In some ways phenolic flavors are easy to pick up, but I can't seem to find anything on targeting specific phenolic flavors. It's kind of a free for all, get one, get them all. It's down to what happens to be in the wood used to age the spirit. If you want more, age it more or increase the surface area available to the spirit. Less, decrease the surface area. It's not a really easy thing to do, you would have to have the ability to have multiple size barrels for different treatments.

I'll keep looking! :thumbup: