Best grain for gin

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Re: Best grain for gin

Post by TDick »

bilgriss wrote:Hi there.
Then read through this: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975 following all the links, paying special attention to the safety related ones.

... Please understand that my first concern is your safety. It won't take all that long to get up to speed for a first effort, and you'll be making good stuff before you know it!
yes, what HE said...
:lol:
Danger.jpg
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

mburke78,
What results have you gotten for your gin base spirit? Gin is my main focus right now as well. I'm interested in this thread because I also run a simple pot still and am trying to figure out the best mash or wash for a base spirit.
I've tried a few of the "simple sugar washes" and I don't really care for them. Also, I have made my fair share of simple sour mash with corn. So I decided to make a simple sour mash with rolled wheat!
Although, Instead of two pounds of grain per gallon, I used one pound of wheat per gallon; I figured this would impart less flavor, but still provide ample nutrients for the yeast. Then I distill four times! Two strip runs, a spirit run, and lastly the botanical run.
At this point in my home distilling ventures I'm thinking about jumping into All-grain mashes. I'm just really unsure if my pot still would be able to strip out enough flavor (whisky to vodka...because I don't use the term "neutral spirit" when using a pot still) from an all-grain wheat mash (or barley)?
Any input from anyone?
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

use a grain with not a lot of flavour like rice, plain flour doesn't have bran and will be light as is unmalted oats.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin