MM2 and Corn

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

MM2 and Corn

Post by Boda Getta »

My lovely wife has gifted me a WW2 grain mill for Christmas for my all grains. I have read enough to know the MM2 will not mill whole corn. I'm hoping it will handle cracked corn. Does anyone here have experience milling corn with a MM2?
Any suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.

BG
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: MM2 and Corn

Post by HDNB »

yeah it does cracked, but if you get a shit bag of cracked with a bunnch of whole in it...the whole kernels ride on top and won't let the other through.
id suggest small amounts a t a time so if there is whole you will get a count of how often to stop and clean it. 8-10 whole kernels stop the flow so if you get 4 per hopper you know you got to stop every hopper and clean it, as opposed to perching a bag on top the hopper and lettin' er buck.
i actually find barley malt a bigger PITA. gotta start it will some already milled to get the rollers set up. needs to be as tight as it goes for a good crack and malt is so light and round it doesn't get started with out some help. I guess if you are just doing a small amount you could do 2 passes.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: MM2 and Corn

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

I bought a MM3 and it will do cracked corn and malted barley just fine. It really has a problem with Rye berries. I assume the that MM2 would have the same problem. I finally replaced it with a hammer mill that will take anything that I throw at it. Good luck in your adventure.

BTW, this is the one that I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010T7QGLK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow