Crushing some oats.

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pangea

Crushing some oats.

Post by pangea »

Me and my son crushed some oats awhile ago on our homebuilt grain mauler. It's basically a bigass steel rolling pin with expanded metal welded to it that runs next to a steel plate in a single roller configuration.

Just wanted to show some of my stuff.

Hope this works.
DBM

Grinder

Post by DBM »

http://www.toolamerica.net/Shop/Control ... 0/rid/4038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DBM

Grinder

Post by DBM »

http://www.toolamerica.net/Shop/Control ... 0/rid/4038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
pangea

Post by pangea »

theholymackerel wrote:Look's like fun!

How well does it work? Is the grain comin' out like ya wanted?
It mashes/cracks rye and oats pretty good. By running the grains through twice, we get about 95% of it cracked or flattened. I haven't tried corn yet. It will go through 50# in about 3-5 minutes.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Great home made device there, pangea. What's your rough grain bill when you use oats for a wash? And better yet, how's the product taste?!
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
pangea

Post by pangea »

Virginia Gentleman wrote:Great home made device there, pangea. What's your rough grain bill when you use oats for a wash? And better yet, how's the product taste?!
I'm going to have to get back to you on the results, Virginia Gentleman. This is our first attempt at an oat based libation.

If it's any help, my grain bill for rye whiskey is 20# rye and 4# malted barley with 9 gallons of water.
My sour mash grain bill is 20# crushed corn, 2# malted barley, and 2# rye with 4 gallons backset and about a gallon of the grain from the previous batch.

I don't know how the sour mash will turn out because I'm just making stripper runs untill I get about 7 gallons ready to finish.

I am using about every bit of my patience in this process. I can hardly wait to taste the end results!
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

dang, this isn't fair, the same maltgrinder, as posted by DBM, costs 55 euro here in europe ....(that is roughly about $75)

unbelievable !
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Look forward to hearing how the oats turn out, pangea. Your other grain bills sound right on the money. I hear ya on the patience thing, it's tough waiting. Always helps to have a little plain old shine sitting around to pass the time. Good luck!
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.