email from Brewhaus

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: email from Brewhaus

Post by King Of Hearts »

drinkingdog wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote:My point about health is, if someone made it for their selves to consume, they surely would want to make it safe,.

Some people don't have the common sense to do it safe. They just use what is available plastic, lead soldier, car radiators ect.
Then when they do something stupid it comes back to haunt people like who are on this forum that do things right the safe way

You can't fix stupid.
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

It's not that they are stupid, they are just uninformed. Not everyone is a chemistry major and I'm sure our forefathers made a ton of mistakes before they knew what they were doing as well. We are privileged to have a wealth of information compiled from the mistakes and successes people before us.

So before we go on about how people are stupid, let's consider the fact that we had the information handed to us as well and there are many pitfalls everyone would make if it wasn't for well documented information that we have now.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

We should not try to clarify and prevent every single opportunity for ignorance or stupidity in new legistaltion. It wasnt addressed in the homebrewers and wine makers legislation and shouldnt be in ours either. It needs to be simple and to the point. Like Barleycorn has done. WIth maybe a section added to speak to 80 year old misinformation on 'bathtub gin' type heath safety to allay those false fears.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

I agree that for some people the lack of information can cause problems. I knew nothing about distilling until I did research. Whether you search the Internet the library or something else there is information out there. I grant you we are at the best place to learn how to distill safely. As ignorant as I was I still knew that using a car radiator as a product condenser would kill you. I have to agree with KOH. You can't fix stupid
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
googe
retired

Post by googe »

It's true.you can't fix stupid but you can educate people like these wonderful sites do. Beer brewing is legal but there's always someone that doesn't follow the rules.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

drinkingdog wrote:I agree that for some people the lack of information can cause problems.
That statement applies to just about every single activity in human life. There is a learning process that is part of doing things as humans more complex than bunnies hopping around eating grass and screwing all day (altho that sounds pretty good right now). Last thing we need is more reams of legislation that trys to micromanage and force the ignorance and stupid out of people. Theres enough of that garbage already everywhere you turn, and most of it is stuffed with self serving riders and verbage serving whoever is pulling the puppet strings, but I digress, again, sorry.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

King Of Hearts wrote:
drinkingdog wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote:My point about health is, if someone made it for their selves to consume, they surely would want to make it safe,.

Some people don't have the common sense to do it safe. They just use what is available plastic, lead soldier, car radiators ect.
Then when they do something stupid it comes back to haunt people like who are on this forum that do things right the safe way

You can't fix stupid.
More people are killed every year trying to light their charcoal grills with gasoline or performing other seemingly mundane tasks than home distilling... The list goes on and on regarding more dangerous daily scenarios yet remain entirely legal... People will continue to do seemingly stupid things and no law will protect them...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

HEY Rads back :thumbup:

Yes, if you do incredibly stupid things and arent around to procreate it might be a favor to humanity.
Speshel Ed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Speshel Ed »

Thank you for your kind words regarding my letter. I saw those small grammar issues too but wanted to post exactly what I sent to my congressman. The words accumulated in a brief wave of inspiration so it was drafted and sent in one go. As tired as I was that night I realized had I tried to edit, I may have lost the balance and momentum I was able to capture in the first pass. I'll try to revise it tonight and edit my post so it's a bit more polished for those who would like to use it.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Imagine us doing this.

http://www.ahaconference.org/a-brotherly-welcome/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thousands of homebrewers rang in the 35th annual National Homebrewers Conference tonight in Philadelphia, Penn. American Homebrewers Association founder Charlie Papazian provided a rousing toast to energize the crowd at Pro-Brewers Night, the first major social event of the 2013 conference.

Papazian told homebrewers to “Relax, don’t worry and have a homebrew,” as he usually does. He also praised homebrewers for helping develop the amazing craft beer culture that we enjoy today: “Five gallons at a time, you’ve been brewing great beer. Five gallons at a time, you are all the reason our beer has become so great.”

After raising their glasses—filled with two different commemorative beers—homebrewers set off into the Philadelphia Convention Center hall to enjoy beers from 45 different craft brewers. Tomorrow, they’ll return to the Downtown Marriott tomorrow to enjoy a full day of seminars and delicious homebrew.

Once the education wraps up at the end of Friday, 87 homebrew clubs from around the country will take over the convention center for Club Night, where they’ll dress in costume, enjoy great beer and share the homebrew love.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

From the heart is best, small errors and all.
I do all my own stunts
Speshel Ed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Speshel Ed »

You do have a point there. I'll just let it stay original then.
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

rad14701 wrote: More people are killed every year trying to light their charcoal grills with gasoline /quote]
Lol how can you kill yourself doing this? You'd have to pour a ton of gas on your grill or have it locked down somehow so the pressure is allowed to build up.
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

Speshel Ed wrote:Thank you for your kind words regarding my letter. I saw those small grammar issues too but wanted to post exactly what I sent to my congressman. The words accumulated in a brief wave of inspiration so it was drafted and sent in one go. As tired as I was that night I realized had I tried to edit, I may have lost the balance and momentum I was able to capture in the first pass. I'll try to revise it tonight and edit my post so it's a bit more polished for those who would like to use it.
You actually don't really need to edit the mistakes, they are minor and projects that it's coming from a real person rather than a canned message formulated by an organization. It was really well thought out and put together.
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

thatguy1 wrote:
rad14701 wrote: More people are killed every year trying to light their charcoal grills with gasoline /quote]
Lol how can you kill yourself doing this? You'd have to pour a ton of gas on your grill or have it locked down somehow so the pressure is allowed to build up.
All you have to do is get distracted for a minute or two and let the vapors expand. Light and kaboom.
A true story regarding gasoline is my ex-brother in law was trying to light wood in the buck stove. This idiot got a spray bottle and filled it with gasoline. He went his merry way pumping the piss out of that bottle. When he struck that match the kaboom blew him back 10 feet and the doors off of the buck stove. Gasoline so so dangerous. Gasoline vapor extremely dangerous.
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

How many times have you seen Videos of a dumb ass dumping gas on a pile of brush, then lighting it and being engulfed in flames. I know I've seen it more than once. You can spend all day on youtube watching idiots doing dumb things with gas.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

When I was a young boy I was one of those dumb asses. There was this big pile of brush like 10 tall 15 foot diameter and I poued a whole bunch of gasoline on it. I was smart enough to stand back about 15 feet and strike and throw kitchen matches. After the 3rd or 4th match it lit. That big pile of brush lifted of the ground about 6 feet followed by the rolling ring of fire. Lucky for me I was about a foot past were the flame ended. Never did that again

DD
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

thatguy1 wrote:
Speshel Ed wrote:Thank you for your kind words regarding my letter. I saw those small grammar issues too but wanted to post exactly what I sent to my congressman. The words accumulated in a brief wave of inspiration so it was drafted and sent in one go. As tired as I was that night I realized had I tried to edit, I may have lost the balance and momentum I was able to capture in the first pass. I'll try to revise it tonight and edit my post so it's a bit more polished for those who would like to use it.
You actually don't really need to edit the mistakes, they are minor and projects that it's coming from a real person rather than a canned message formulated by an organization. It was really well thought out and put together.
I think everyone who is worth their salt should contact their representative and speak from their heart and head and see if anyone takes an interest. If so we can send the proposed bill that was mentioned.
screwy rascal
Novice

Post by screwy rascal »

lol rad, and others warm gasoline on the stove in the cold of winter. ( darwin award winner) :)
If it ain't one thing, its two.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

Black Eye wrote:How many times have you seen Videos of a dumb ass dumping gas on a pile of brush, then lighting it and being engulfed in flames. I know I've seen it more than once. You can spend all day on youtube watching idiots doing dumb things with gas.
I believe there was a point in moonshiners where that idiot Tickle lit a pile of wood and lost his eyebrows or something ... :shock: :lol:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

nsa.jpg
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

thatguy1 wrote:
You don't know much about playin with gasoline and fire . Takes a quart or less with no confinement(pressure build up) under the right conditions to spell disaster .
So , you been tole .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Fitter313
Novice

Post by Fitter313 »

I got pretty much the same email from hillbilly stills outta ky
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

I"m not reading all 52 pages of this...anywho, there's a bit of discepancy with how the law looks at a still. For me (as a legal distillery operator as well) it's not considered a still until it is connected to a heat source (when applying for DSP you have to have a still in place, you just can't connect it). Over 1g everyone is required to notify "the state" (presumably the ttb since that is who i contacted). However, one your still has been registered you are free to posses it. Just make sure to have plenty of herbs and denatured alcohol (in original container) for making perfumes.

I think we should take this opportunity, at least here in the states, to gather a petition to legalize home distillation. Personally i think you should be required to take a safety course on it (mostly thanks to timmy and tickle...idiots) - but that would also help push into a new legal era..
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

So what are the requirements for storage. I understand separate building from distilling but what about containers? All I have are these stupid oak barrels. That won't affect my vehicle's engine will it?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

DFitz wrote:All I have are these stupid oak barrels.
:shock: Ill take them off your hands :)
Paracelsus
Novice

Post by Paracelsus »

nabtastic wrote:I"m not reading all 52 pages of this...anywho, there's a bit of discepancy with how the law looks at a still. For me (as a legal distillery operator as well) it's not considered a still until it is connected to a heat source (when applying for DSP you have to have a still in place, you just can't connect it). Over 1g everyone is required to notify "the state" (presumably the ttb since that is who i contacted). However, one your still has been registered you are free to posses it. Just make sure to have plenty of herbs and denatured alcohol (in original container) for making perfumes.
Ahhhhh, so *that's* how it works. I have been (slowly, life keeps interfering) working through the process of preparing to apply for a DSP, and I wondered how one could have stills on your floor for the required time period before processing and inspection. That makes sense.
Speshel Ed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Speshel Ed »

Update... no response from my congressman to my letter on legalizing home distilling. He responded to my inquiry about the NSA and Snowden *the very next day*. Thinking I probably got a form letter written by an intern to a popular inquiry. Something out of left field like home hobby distilling probably got tossed in the circular file. Guess I don't represent a large enough voting block, rich enough corporation, or whatever turns the cranks of politics. I'm hoping (lots of) you guys took that letter and sent them to your local representatives.. All it takes is one representative to get talking to others about this in a positive way to turn the tide in our favor. Maybe sending a copy to the white house in addition to your local representative might do the trick? I don't know what buttons to push so try pushing all of them?
Speshel Ed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Speshel Ed »

I'm not an attorney but I do hear on the news about some lower court overturning some ruling and sending whatever measure back up the foodchain to higher courts for reconsideration... what if someone were to begin litigation against the state laws in their local superior court? Lawyers are handy for more than divorces and personal matters... Once it's on the docket, it becomes an official matter they can't just toss in the trash. Perhaps this is a misguided exercise in futility. Is there an attorney out there in the forum that could advise on the merits of such an approach?
Highrisen
Novice

Post by Highrisen »

Speshel Ed wrote:I'm not an attorney but I do hear on the news about some lower court overturning some ruling and sending whatever measure back up the foodchain to higher courts for reconsideration... what if someone were to begin litigation against the state laws in their local superior court? Lawyers are handy for more than divorces and personal matters... Once it's on the docket, it becomes an official matter they can't just toss in the trash. Perhaps this is a misguided exercise in futility. Is there an attorney out there in the forum that could advise on the merits of such an approach?
This is actually a great approach. Thing is, people with enough money to spare to hire lawyers to work their way up through the courts usually just get their liquor from the store.