email from Brewhaus

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Speshel Ed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: email from Brewhaus

Post by Speshel Ed »

Sorry for the late response Jarheadshiner but I've been away the last few days.. the response you got from your congressman was about the same watered down fodder tossed to me from mine regarding my inquiry to the police state exposed by Edward Snowden. I still haven't received anything from my letter about our hobby. At this point I doubt I ever will.. but we should still keep hammering their inboxes all the same.
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

Yeah it is pretty much the type of response that I expected to receive to be honest. There is no money in it for him to stick his neck out on an issue that is so misunderstood and made out to be an "outlaw" type endeavor by the media. I will definitely follow up and try to hold his feet to the fire a bit and see if I can get a less watered down response. You know how politicians are though, they can dance circles around an issue and never say a damn thing.
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

guittarmaster wrote:Good Eats mixed with This Old House for still construction.... I love it!
This. ^^^^^^

They have a reality show about stillin already that's sucessful, even though you hate it.
A Good one would be Good. For everybody.
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
DraughtDoctor
Novice

Post by DraughtDoctor »

mash rookie wrote:PLUS 1. I hate that stupid freaking show too. It has stirred up a hornets nest. Hopefully the Feds are just trying to get peoples attention. I wonder how many manufacturers they sent the letter to that are not notifying their customers.

Mile High. Did you get a letter?

The place i work sells Brewhaus products, and i let everyone who buys know that the feds are starting to ask questions and that cash is the way to pay to keep their names off the docket. Most folks are very receptive and very grateful that we let them know.
ww_kayak
Novice

Post by ww_kayak »

Go listen to the Alabama house debate on legalizing home brewing from a few months ago:
MP3:
70% of those "represenatives" think they already legalized moonshining for profit? Make sure you know who you're contacting, or you'll only scare them into passing more laws. BTW, the only reason it passed this time is because the brewers doled out the cash for a lobbyist. That's how it really works in this country :x
Bulletproof
Novice

Post by Bulletproof »

Checking back in. Has there been any fall out from the lists yet or is this the calm before the storm?
The great oak tree was once a little nut that didn't give up.
Speshel Ed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Speshel Ed »

Nope, I'm still here. Das Schutzstaffel has thankfully looked the other way so far. I've been curious if any of us have been dragged to ze kamps yet as well.
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

DraughtDoctor wrote:
mash rookie wrote:PLUS 1. I hate that stupid freaking show too. It has stirred up a hornets nest. Hopefully the Feds are just trying to get peoples attention. I wonder how many manufacturers they sent the letter to that are not notifying their customers.

Mile High. Did you get a letter?

The place i work sells Brewhaus products, and i let everyone who buys know that the feds are starting to ask questions and that cash is the way to pay to keep their names off the docket. Most folks are very receptive and very grateful that we let them know.
Just as a heads up - if you sell distillation equipement they can demand your records as well (as they did with brewhaus). Not trying to stir anything, but legally you have to keep a record of all people purchasing a distillation, rectification, purification, etc for distilled spirits. Again, do what you want just thought I'd throw out the PSA!
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Well has anyone been contacted by the TTB or ATF? :esurprised:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

not I mcfly. yet? Be happy to show them my brew room if they come prepared with a warrant. I have nothing to hide. My beer brewing equipment is a site to behold and kept under 250 gallons per year, per decree, thank you very much have a nice day.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

My guess is that they received a lot of information. It will take time to sort through it and prioritize it. Then if (could be a pretty big if) they decide to act on the info they will do more investigating before they proceed. It also could be a smoke screen just to scare off the faint hearted. Only time will tell.
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

Well, IF I were them, I would sit chilly on the info for a year - say nothing ... then the hidden stills will go back into operation :wink: And I am sure that getting a warrant in advance is not an issue - "Yer honor, we have a bill of sale, a credit card reciept, in the name of Johnny Whitedog at 1234 Bokabob St, for a restricted still capable of producing likker" :shock:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
demodenny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by demodenny »

This doesn't look good..
http://fox59.com/2013/08/27/excise-poli ... z2dCHYB0Kn
Looks like some nice equipment seized .. Business is picking up..
Last edited by demodenny on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

That's Batesville, Indiana, and it's a shame seeing a Flute headed for scrap.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Damn! Nice flute! I wonder if it was one of us? And what the hell is a class C misdemeanor? Isint that like spittin on the sidewalk?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Thats a HBS boiler and still so must be on one of the forums. Seen that paddle posted somewhere too.

AC
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

Suspicious:
BATESVILLE – Indiana State Excise police seized a still and homemade liquor at a Batesville home Monday.

Officers served a search warrant at 129 Hillenbrand Ave. to look for items related to the unlawful production of liquor. Officers seized several items, including a still and a whiskey barrel filled with homemade liquor. Officers also came across self-learning manuals and books on how to make whiskey.

Possession of a still or distilling apparatus is a class C misdemeanor. Other charges, including a felony and other misdemeanors, are also possible.

The Batesville Police Department and Ripley County prosecutor assisted in the bust.
1) it was the state that started the "bust" - not the county or local PD
2) the warrant was to search for " items related to the unlawful production of liquor" - not that they were searching for shine in particular, but for items that could be used to produce likker
3) that is a commercially built still
4) they had a warrant (read my last comment on how easy it would be to get one)
5) notice they talk about possession of the still is a misdemeanor blah, blah ... "other charges ... are also possible"

My take, they knew there was a still there (and with the barrel and nice shiny commercial still there), either someone ratted them out or they are on that list. When someone rats someone out, they usually state something like "they were responding to a tip" ...

... notice how they are not stating where they got the information for the warrant from ??? :shock: :shh:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Good point doogie
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Are you suggesting this is the first 'hit' from the lists gathered from the still makers?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Jimbo wrote:Are you suggesting this is the first 'hit' from the lists gathered from the still makers?
Think he was thinking along my thoughts Pissed off ex or someone with a grudge and the list of still and boiler buyers a warrant is doable. The whole thing looks different. Not to all close down just look around.

AC
demodenny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by demodenny »

Sorry, got hung up on Batesville..
Thinkin about Mark Martin runnin some shine across a dry county.. Plenty of those in Akansas ..LOL
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

There is nobody they can't get.

Nobody.

They have the last 10 years of the internet on TiVo. :shock:

Rewind to what you were doing on the interwebz at 7:03 pm on Oct 24 2006.

They have that, rewind, watch it.

They control us by making sure we know that.

People who oppose the Rulers are targeted,
people who support the Rulers are not.

Selective Enforcement.
That Person drew attention, didn't go along to get along.

Not the Rule of Law,
The Rule of Rulers.
Tyranny.

:twisted:
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Careful TDS, :shifty: youre drawing a target on your head talking that heresy :wtf: :lol: :lol:
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

acfixer69 wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Are you suggesting this is the first 'hit' from the lists gathered from the still makers?
Think he was thinking along my thoughts Pissed off ex or someone with a grudge and the list of still and boiler buyers a warrant is doable. The whole thing looks different. Not to all close down just look around.

AC
Kind of - I think that with the limited information in the article, that maybe this could be one of the first to get hit.

Look at all that nice shiny equiptment - from the column/still down to the grain mill and grape press *(I assume to use on the grain). All of it looks new-er - new barrel, copper even looks kinda new (maybe he/she cleans it a lot??)

If someone complained about it, why did the state police lead the way, not the local sheriff? I am sure they have the ability and training to get and execute a warrant. If the TDSB had the info and passed it along to the state police (didnt we hear something about that in this thread), then the state asked the local cops to tag along, then this event plays directly into the thought that this may be a "list-hit"

ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Could be the UPS guy neighbor mad becsuse it was all delivered Fed-X!
I repeal my original estimate! All that Blightman stainless cost a fortune! I would not doubt that there is $7k there easily!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Every bust Ive seen a report on there was some indication of selling. Which of course is a Federal crime, not a Class C Misdemeanor for owning such equipment. Anything on this one regarding selling, at all? This might be they first move they made on hobbyest level folk with no reports of selling?
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

I don't see if being the feds coming down. The ATF would've came knocking. This is probably some dumbass that ran his(her) mouth too much. Or maybe just a warning, I don't recall seeing a photo of the accused or any naming.. just a thought
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

I think the excise agents are a form of the ATF at state level. Which possibly could be how they are using the information they got from manufacturers. Could be a upset girlfriend, ex wife, friend upset, neighbor or delivery driver that saw advertisement on shipping boxes and put 2 + 2 together. Time will tell if it was random or something else
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
demodenny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by demodenny »

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The last one looks like it was just a Carroll county accident :wink:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin