email from Brewhaus

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nabtastic
Novice

Re: email from Brewhaus

Post by nabtastic »

Highrisen wrote:
Speshel Ed wrote:I'm not an attorney but I do hear on the news about some lower court overturning some ruling and sending whatever measure back up the foodchain to higher courts for reconsideration... what if someone were to begin litigation against the state laws in their local superior court? Lawyers are handy for more than divorces and personal matters... Once it's on the docket, it becomes an official matter they can't just toss in the trash. Perhaps this is a misguided exercise in futility. Is there an attorney out there in the forum that could advise on the merits of such an approach?
This is actually a great approach. Thing is, people with enough money to spare to hire lawyers to work their way up through the courts usually just get their liquor from the store.
Haha so true, yet, as a distiller whom routinely gives tours to a wide variety of guest (national and international) I can say that there is a ton of interest across the board. Most people that I've talked to really just want to try it and see if they can make it. Like home brewers, most will continue to buy the majority of their alcohol they just want to expirement. I garden for example - I like watching the transformation from an inedible seed to a delicious meal - but I still buy 95% of my groceries. I would love to seek legal council on this matter. At any rate, the laws need to be updated because they were designed to keep big business from cheating taxes and really had nothing to do with home distillers (aside from GW's infamous Whiskey Riots)
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
stillin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillin »

John Barleycorn has a great document over on the Brewhaus forum that he's finalized for anyone interested in sending it too your politicians. Very well written, about as professional as you can get IMO. I am sending it to my state congressman and senators, maybe representatives too if postage doesn't get to high along with a formal letter. I encourage everyone here do the same.
"If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough"--My dad
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

nabtastic wrote:Haha so true, yet, as a distiller whom routinely gives tours to a wide variety of guest (national and international) I can say that there is a ton of interest across the board. Most people that I've talked to really just want to try it and see if they can make it. Like home brewers, most will continue to buy the majority of their alcohol they just want to expirement. I garden for example - I like watching the transformation from an inedible seed to a delicious meal - but I still buy 95% of my groceries. I would love to seek legal council on this matter. At any rate, the laws need to be updated because they were designed to keep big business from cheating taxes and really had nothing to do with home distillers (aside from GW's infamous Whiskey Riots)
Really good point.
And lets face it,,,,,,spirit sales are up across the board.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
coaldust1
Novice

Post by coaldust1 »

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see the amount of replies and views to the original post. 632 replies and over 37,000 views!!
I finally got my kit from Brewhaus in june and have 10gals of mash going on my first run.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

nabtastic wrote: Haha so true, yet, as a distiller whom routinely gives tours to a wide variety of guest (national and international) I can say that there is a ton of interest across the board. Most people that I've talked to really just want to try it and see if they can make it. Like home brewers, most will continue to buy the majority of their alcohol they just want to expirement. I garden for example - I like watching the transformation from an inedible seed to a delicious meal - but I still buy 95% of my groceries. I would love to seek legal council on this matter. At any rate, the laws need to be updated because they were designed to keep big business from cheating taxes and really had nothing to do with home distillers (aside from GW's infamous Whiskey Riots)
I am in that boat - I love to share my likker with friends, family, I really like making it, but while my "bonded" likker purchases are way down, I do still partake in commercial likker. Since I do not share their equiptment, nor their aging time, while I may dislike their cuts, I can appreciate a really good bottle. Instead now, I buy a really nice bottle as a treat once in a while, and let my likker maintain my liver's current workload and endurance training program :shock: :lolno:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

I am in that boat - I love to share my likker with friends, family, I really like making it, but while my "bonded" likker purchases are way down, I do still partake in commercial likker. Since I do not share their equiptment, nor their aging time, while I may dislike their cuts, I can appreciate a really good bottle. Instead now, I buy a really nice bottle as a treat once in a while, and let my likker maintain my liver's current workload and endurance training program :shock: :lolno:[/quote]

HAHAHA! it's important to keep the body in peak physical condition - lest some college punk try and show you up :lol:
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

Speshel Ed wrote:Update... no response from my congressman to my letter on legalizing home distilling. He responded to my inquiry about the NSA and Snowden *the very next day*. Thinking I probably got a form letter written by an intern to a popular inquiry. Something out of left field like home hobby distilling probably got tossed in the circular file. Guess I don't represent a large enough voting block, rich enough corporation, or whatever turns the cranks of politics. I'm hoping (lots of) you guys took that letter and sent them to your local representatives.. All it takes is one representative to get talking to others about this in a positive way to turn the tide in our favor. Maybe sending a copy to the white house in addition to your local representative might do the trick? I don't know what buttons to push so try pushing all of them?
Well I used your letter with some minor editing to the marijuana portion and I finally got a response.

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the Federal regulation of home distilled spirits. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.
Please be assured that I understand your position on this matter and will keep your views in mind should related legislation come before the U.S. House of Representatives for consideration.

With warm regards, I am
Sincerely,
Nick J. Rahall, II
Member of Congress

A bit of politician BS. Never really said that he agreed but at least it's something. Any ideas for a follow-up?
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

At least it is in his ear now and more chatter may very well develop as time passes.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the Federal regulation of home distilled spirits. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.
Please be assured that I understand your position on this matter and will keep your views in mind should related legislation come before the U.S. House of Representatives for consideration.
blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah :roll:
I do all my own stunts
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

blind drunk wrote: blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah :roll:
haha, thats kinda what I thought too....
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

LWTCS wrote:At least it is in his ear now and more chatter may very well develop as time passes.
Hope so Larry, but ain't holding my breath.
blind drunk wrote:
blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah :roll:
Pretty much
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

1000 letters later his story might change hopefully.
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

The man never seen your letter ! !
That was his secretary sending standard BS reply to all you kooks ! ! ! ! LOL.......
He was out golfing with his buddies, tryin to make some points for himself ! ! !
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

cornsqueezer wrote:1000 letters later his story might change hopefully.
that ... and a couple million bucks :problem:
I do all my own stunts
Highrisen
Novice

Post by Highrisen »

Dont know how far it would go but I found the "official" online petition website. There is no active petition regarding home distilling, moonshine, etc. Maybe we should start one...

Anyone over the age of 13 (and Im assuming a US citizen) can create a petition. It can be sent to friends and posted on social networks like Facebook. If it reaches 150 signatures in the first 30 days it will be posted on the website below where it can be searched and seen by the public on the website below.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Highrisen
Novice

Post by Highrisen »

Highrisen wrote:Dont know how far it would go but I found the "official" online petition website. There is no active petition regarding home distilling, moonshine, etc. Maybe we should start one...

Anyone over the age of 13 (and Im assuming a US citizen) can create a petition. It can be sent to friends and posted on social networks like Facebook. If it reaches 150 signatures in the first 30 days it will be posted on the website below where it can be searched and seen by the public on the website below.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Oh yeah, once it becomes available on the site it needs 100,000 signatures within the next 30 days.
Paracelsus
Novice

Post by Paracelsus »

Highrisen wrote:Oh yeah, once it becomes available on the site it needs 100,000 signatures within the next 30 days.
Some folks from this forum tried this back when the requirement was only 1,000 signatures to get a response and it got all of ~70. People and their stupid Death Star petition ruined this system for everyone.
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

Paracelsus wrote:
Highrisen wrote:Oh yeah, once it becomes available on the site it needs 100,000 signatures within the next 30 days.
Some folks from this forum tried this back when the requirement was only 1,000 signatures to get a response and it got all of ~70. People and their stupid Death Star petition ruined this system for everyone.

damnit! I've been over this before. If we dont' build a death star how can i ever realize my potential of being a Judi Master and blow it up? huh? Think about my destiny!

</humor>

Seriously though. I tried that before. If we try that we'd need to organize seriously. This would involve forming aprtnerships wtih the other distilling forums. Then we'd need to recruit/partner with the brewers and the wine makers on their forums and get them educated on distilling. It would also help to get a nice high-quality Youtube channel/ vlogger who can promote the hobby without making us look like thos idiotic shirtless tickel-ers. And maybe say something about some of the faux-reality distilling shows on youtube too.

Nobody will give a shit about legalization untill we have a reasonably good looking stand-up, smooth talking distiller putting himself out there in a professional mannor.
Like the youtuber guy who did the two part scotch whiskey with the stilldragon flute vs that discovery show. know what I mean? Personally I like the idea of a distillers version of "Brewing TV" (check it out on youtube.)

In short. We need a poster-child and more supporters than just us on this forum to make it happen.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Also ad all the legitimate home still manufacturers.
I do all my own stunts
Paracelsus
Novice

Post by Paracelsus »

guittarmaster wrote:Nobody will give a shit about legalization untill we have a reasonably good looking stand-up, smooth talking distiller putting himself out there in a professional mannor.
Like the youtuber guy who did the two part scotch whiskey with the stilldragon flute vs that discovery show. know what I mean? Personally I like the idea of a distillers version of "Brewing TV" (check it out on youtube.)

In short. We need a poster-child and more supporters than just us on this forum to make it happen.
Love the idea, but its going to have to be a Kiwi. For reasons that are obvious. Something Good Eats level of science education and thoroughness when it comes to safety.
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

Good Eats mixed with This Old House for still construction.... I love it!
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Anyone post the link to that stilldragon video?

Can you imagine a show about distilling and building equipment hosted by Alton Brown and Bob Vila... what a trip. Then they'd need to do a beverage tasting show that followed it by Bobby Flay, that guy is a total burn out.... but he makes me hungry when he cooks.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Paracelsus wrote:
guittarmaster wrote:Nobody will give a shit about legalization untill we have a reasonably good looking stand-up, smooth talking distiller putting himself out there in a professional mannor.

Love the idea, but its going to have to be a Kiwi. For reasons that are obvious. Something Good Eats level of science education and thoroughness when it comes to safety.
I agree, and personality would also be crucial.
Even the right catchy name.
Wonder if Ho Lee Phuk (new member) would be a good candidate?
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I second the nomination!

Also, I recommend all home distillers' sites join forces and forget and/or put aside past grievances. We're gunna need a really big wave to float this boat. Just my humble opinion.
I do all my own stunts
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

blind drunk wrote:Also, I recommend all home distillers' sites join forces and forget and/or put aside past grievances. We're gunna need a really big wave to float this boat. Just my humble opinion.
And mine too. Divided we fail. United we have a chance.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

blind drunk wrote:
I second the nomination!

Also, I recommend all home distillers' sites join forces and forget and/or put aside past grievances. We're gunna need a really big wave to float this boat. Just my humble opinion.
Wasnt he one of the recent flight crew members?
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Husker wrote:
Wasnt he one of the recent flight crew members?
Yup.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mvJZYWwOBA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Off topic but that is hell funny :clap: how the devil did that news reader not realize :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

What's funny is = I showed video to my ole lady ...
She then asks = Were they american pilots???
My god ya'll need an ole lady like this one LOL, LOL .....
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

'News'casters are so geeked up to throw somebody under the bus they dont even bother to engage their brains anymore in the excitement of a fresh find.

Hell this is prolly what passes for investigative journalism these days, a phone call from Bart Simpson to the news room and BAM, on the air.

Dumbasses