Posting Pics

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Posting Pics

Post by Tater »

Would someone more pc capable then tater explain how to down size pictures to post on this forum please.
Last edited by Tater on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

since pic are not hosted on the forum does it matter?
or should we post link of them only?

if using XP windows picture after opening it(the picture that is) right click edit,
under the image tab(in the menu) select stretch/skew...
after resizing go to file menu and save as.
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I am a computer consultant by trade so I have no qualms in stating that the idea of giving ambiguous resizing help is beyond the scope of these forums... There are many different image software packages, and each one takes different steps to resize images... All Windows XP machines should have both Paint and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer installed by default... A digital camera may also come with its own software, and most printers also include image management software as well... While I agree that viewing oversize images is undesirable it's really up to the individual user to figure out which software to use, and how to perform the task within that software, on their own... Virtually every software has a Help feature and that's the best place to start...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

rad14701 wrote:I am a computer consultant by trade so I have no qualms in stating that the idea of giving ambiguous resizing help is beyond the scope of these forums... There are many different image software packages, and each one takes different steps to resize images... All Windows XP machines should have both Paint and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer installed by default... A digital camera may also come with its own software, and most printers also include image management software as well... While I agree that viewing oversize images is undesirable it's really up to the individual user to figure out which software to use, and how to perform the task within that software, on their own... Virtually every software has a Help feature and that's the best place to start...
Ill try that type answer next distilling question ya ask :| :lol: Well thats xp covered .Somebody else chip in on one they know.
Last edited by Tater on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

Well, if we go for the lowest common denominator as a starting point.

Being as any PC user should have Microsoft Paint installed. Mac/Linux users will be a different story.

http://www.wikihow.com/Resize-an-Image- ... soft-Paint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

tater wrote:Ill try that type answer next distilling question ya ask :| :lol: Well thats xp covered .Somebody else chip in on one they know.
I run a software support forum myself, so I wasn't being wise with my answer, unlike you, Tater... But no offense taken... The best practice is to point people where they need to be... The Help option is the best place to start... Finding a task specific forum or tutorial page on the internet would be the next option... I don't answer distilling questions in my software support forums, so I wouldn't imagine that members here would expect software support help... It's about going to the right place for the right information...
themoch
Novice

Post by themoch »

being a graphic designer by trade let me take a stab at this:

in photoshop (the industry standard) it goes as follows:

image>image size> set the size to what you want

make sure the dimensions are listed in pixels and make no image larger than 800x800, it is okay if it is smaller on either the height or the width but any larger will make it hard to view on some screens.

some free photo editing options:

Infranview (http://www.irfanview.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) :

Image>Resize/Resample> set the size to what you want

Gimp (http://www.Gimp.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) :

Image>Scale Image> set to size you want.

It should be noted that the web can only handle 72dpi in each of these programs it will tell you the dpi (dots per inch) when resizing and allow you to change it.

If your image is larger than 72 dpi (most cameras will take images at 180-300 dpi) you should change the dpi first, and then the dimensions.

So for example, if my image is 1024x786 at 180 dpi i would open the window to change it's size, select dpi first, change it to 72, then enter 800x600 in the width and height boxes, then click "ok"

hope this helps some people.
Thanks,

themoch
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

Since the title is "posting pics", I would like to cover that too, next to resizing.

Posting pictures
  • We start with pictures on your computer, and we want to get them on the internet, there are free image hosts (sites) who provide that possibility.
  • Browse to one of those, such as:
  • Follow the instruction on that peticular site, it includes browsing (press the Image button) on your computer (=locating the image) next you have to submit (= "submit", "host it", "upload" ,... ) and wait a while.
  • When it's done uploading, the site should give you a link to your image, most of the times, more then one. If so, then you have some possibilities
    • there can be a 'link' specially for forums, like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moonshinestillrh1.jpg][img=http://img204.ima
      geshack.us/img204/9869/moonshinestillrh1.th.jpg][/url]

It already has tags, but often the wrong ones.
    • An other link can be a 'direct link', my favorite

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9869/moonshinestillrh1.jpg
      A direct link always ends with an image extension, here it is ".jpg". Here you have to add the 'tags' yourself, you can just use the 'Img' button in the post a reply window, then you get:

[img]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9869/moonshinestillrh1.jpg[/img]
  • That's it. It should result in:

If there's something not correct or not clear, please mention it, so it can be added to this little tutorial.
Last edited by stoker on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

nice tut stoker. as well as nice ending touch. :D
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Really nice tutorial. If it were possible, I'd want that post to stand alone by itself as an announcement in Novice distillers. It'd get rid of the senseless clutter produced by the 15* 'how do I post pics?' threads per month.

*Intentional hyperbole
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

guilty! but thanks for the terrific howto
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

thank you.
this is already pritty much stand alone. moderators can decide what to do with it.

I've made an edit in the first 'code'. cut the link in two (in the middle of a word, so it's obvious), now, it wil not fuck up the page :wink:
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
inspeedway
Novice

sizing pics

Post by inspeedway »

i am the guilty one !!! and i did search and read a lot for "how to post pics,pic,pics,pictures and on and on! only way i found out 'how to post
pics' i was reading through pint's or coop's (many threads ago) and
some one asked how they did post pics, and they were nice enough
to say that you cant post pics from ure pc - have to register at a
public site like photo bucket (they give links to a couple more) and
go through them ! didnt say how big the pic would be when u
accomplished getting it posted! looked ok to me when i sent it!lol
and yep i got xp home addition so i imagine paint shop is on here
somewhere! its got the works! ole lady takes a pretty good pic! dont
have to fix'er up or paint her anyway so dont use it!! hopefully
noobies like me wont have to read hrs and hrs learning this!!
and can post some pics of their hard work and what they've learned
on this site- and see if its right -safe - and will work!!
thank you tater for the help !!
delete that thread i started- i hate scrolling side ways tooooooo !thanks
inspeedway
Novice

pics

Post by inspeedway »

did'nt want to drag this out but got to thank
belianz for the link and themoch for the sizing info and stoker on
how to put the link in - thats neat ,
and bw redneck you right on getting rid of all the clutter, i think
tater just did that with his announcement,
do a search on "how to post pics"
you get 1644 matches,
and from 352 replies(joke thread) to 1 for help!!!lots of reading !!
this will help us noobies to show what (acually) u folks have
taught us !! thanks to all
frynturn
Novice

Post by frynturn »

Resizing images using - WINDOWS + OFFICE

1) Save the image from camera to the desktop (~1.5-3Mb)
2) Right click on picture(s) and select "Send To" from the menu.
3) Select "Mail Recipient" from the popup menu
4) New window appears with the option "Make all my pictures smaller"
5) Email window appears and it has resized the pictures to ~35-50Kb. The pictures appear attachments.
6) Choose "Save Attachments" from the File menu and then close the email window.

Really easy way to resize images quickly and especially so if you have multiple pictures to do.
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

with photobucket you can resize,crop and other editing option without changing its address so you don't need to repost it.
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
Oaty
Swill Maker

Re: Posting Pics

Post by Oaty »

For all that I still can't post a picture. I know how to re-size in a number of software packages. I've used internet photo host. But I still can't post here. whether I use the Img command or not a copied picture doesn't allow the paste command. A right click doesn't indicate that I have copied the picture. It only allows UNDO, select all, & delete. The paste is just not highlighted- as if I hadn't copied the picture- when I know I have.A drag and drop doesn't work either. Images can be posted, I've seen them here, but I can't post them.

After reading the FAQ page the answer is quite simple! Unless, the administrator allows picture posting in a particular thread you can't post. You have to link to a URL.

So, my friends as has been written here often and in varied ways... If you have a question read first ask later.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

Thanks Uncle Jessie :D After reading the FAQ on photos I just figured it was administrative discretion.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

As long as it's generally "on topic" for distillation or brewing it's perfectly OK to upload a photo to the wiki. It'll make it faster loading anyway since it will be stored locally.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I just open a new window and bring up my photobucket on it. Switch back and forth between the two. If you click the words 'img code' under your photo, it copies it. Then switch to the post and do the Ctrl-V. Works every time.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

How does one retrieve a bookmarked topic. I'm stuffed if I can work it out.

I know, READ, READ, READ, but I can't find it anywhere. :oops:

blan

EDIT: OK, I read some more and found it. :) :oops:
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
pigroaster
Novice

Post by pigroaster »

Is there any chance of a "How to post an avatar article?" Thanks
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Re-Post, copied from: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p6813600

Look for this dialog in the "Post a reply" panel... Click on "Browse"... Locate the image and click "Open"... Add an optional description... Click on "Add the file"... Place the cursor where you want the image to appear in your post and click on "Place inline" in the "Attachments:" section that will appear once "Add the file" is clicked... Done...

See original post for an image...