Amphora Society - PDA-1 System

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

craftdistiller
Novice

Amphora Society - PDA-1 System

Post by craftdistiller »

Would like feedback from craft distillers who have purchased and are currently using the PDA-1 System from Amphora Society. I am interested in testing recipes for potato vodka. Any input and resources would be appreciated.
rad14701
retired

Re: Amphora Society - PDA-1 System

Post by rad14701 »

Welcome to the forums, craftdistiller...

If you snoop about here in the forums I think several members have used the PDA-1 and PDA-2 columns... I just did some research on them the other day and saved a copy of the operating instructions on my laptop for reference material... It's just a Liquid Management column and needs to be operated as such... I'm not sure I believe their performance claims, however, because I don't think the design can produce quite as much high purity product as they have stated...

Do you currently own a PDA-1 or are you considering purchasing one...???
guillermo
Novice

Re: Amphora Society - PDA-1 System

Post by guillermo »

You can't go wrong with a PDA-1. Mine has been a great introduction to the hobby of distilling. I also recommend Amphora's book, The Compleat Distiller, as well as their other books (I own them all).
Recently I built a still, Harry Jackson's design which you can find at this link:
http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/BAPHS/index.htm
It was a fun build and challenging as I'd never worked with copper before.
I'd still go with a PDA-1 first if you want to begin distilling right away, and then if you get the itch, build something yourself.
As for potato vodka, I don't know much about that but I've guzzled a lot of grain based stuff.
Regards,
Guillermo