UJSM question

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bastardo
Novice

UJSM question

Post by Bastardo »

I'm going to try my hand at the UJSM recipe, but the only readily available corn is the stuff you find in the bulk food section of the grocery store. It is dried kernels, and called popping corn, will this work if I crack it myself?

Or would the frozen type work? thanks
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Get the kind you feed the birds.Just plain old cracked corn.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

They sell it at pet food stores and farm/feed stores, check there.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

I'd imagine that popcorn would be very hard to crack.

Like others have said, look at a feed mill or pet food store for plain, old cracked corn.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

This got me to thinking. I have about 10# of specialty popcorn seed to plant this spring. Has anyone ever popped corn instead of the long boil, prior to the mash? Sounds feasable, though might have to put it through a cider or wine press to get all the wash, or just use a double boiler?

Was this Popcorn Sutton's secret recipe?
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

Pop corn, hmmmm

Maybe a new idea coming to the pop, I might smell smoke here :D
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

the frozen corn works pretty well. bag of cracked is cheap tho...
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

Bastardo....have a look at home depot....I seen some huge bags last time I went ....and i believe they were for birds....... :D
ER70S-2
Novice

Post by ER70S-2 »

I just bought cracked corn this week in central/southern Ontario for this recipe. Just do a search for horse feed and you can buy it at any of these places, lots of them around.
BeerGuy
Novice

Post by BeerGuy »

Kind of makes me wonder how "Popcorn Sutton" got his name.
Bastardo
Novice

Post by Bastardo »

The same thought entered my mind.... I think I found a place nearby
that sells horse feed, so they may have it. I checked the pet food stores and they only have the dried corn on cobb for birds. I'm in the city so there are no tractor supply companies nearby and I didn't want to have to drive out to the country..
ER70S-2
Novice

Post by ER70S-2 »

If you can't find it close by then try Milton just east on the 401 from Toronto, it's not too far especially since they sell it in a 25kg bag so it will last you a while.
Er70s-2
Bastardo
Novice

Post by Bastardo »

Thanks... but I'm in Vancouver..... I'll have to drive out to the Valley.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

ok, I'm strange I know bu poor folk do weird things. I had some popcorn left over from the night before, before I moved out from my mom's house. I was hungry and added milk and sugar to the popcorn from the night before. Yes it was a bit stale but it was good. At least as good as puffed rice or puffed wheat. I would think popped corn would convert rather easily. It is all out there for the conversion after all.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Another thing. LOts of folks on the yahoo distillers forum have been having a good deal of sucess at getting corn flavor by using corn flakes. It is vitamin fortified and it is cooked corn, but this idea sound like the optimum for a corn flavored sugar wash.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

pintoshine wrote:Another thing. LOts of folks on the yahoo distillers forum have been having a good deal of sucess at getting corn flavor by using corn flakes. It is vitamin fortified and it is cooked corn, but this idea sound like the optimum for a corn flavored sugar wash.
I have done a corn flake (and a raisin bran) sugar wash (couple of them actually), and they are pretty darn nice. Flavor was better than the first couple runs of UJSM as far as corny moonshine goes. Also, they ferment pretty strongly, with just sugar and crushed cereal. I did boil to invert the sugar, and to kill any nasties within the corn flakes. I put in sugar to target 11% ABV, and used whiskey with AG yeast. I back computed between 12 to 12.5% by the time I boiled it off, so the cereal did add to the product, more than just flavor. The raisin bran had sugar in the cereal, so I only put in enough sugar to get 9% and still ended up with close to 12%.

I think Cheeros would be another good cerial. Oats and corn I think. I have not tried it, but I bet it would do fine.

Cereal washes like that are the poor mans wash. If you can get the feed stock for near free (old stock, damaged stock, etc), then you are back to the cost of sugar and yeast. However, I do find that the real UJSM is also cheap, and works like a charm to produce some damn fine shine.

Some cereals probably have so much sugar in them, that you could get by with just the cooked cereal as your wash. So, one could make some "boo berry" shine :)

H.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

[quote="Husker"]"boo berry" shine
:lol:
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Wonder if "lucky charms" would make an faux Irish whiskey ? :) :lol: :)