adding corn flakes midway

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

adding corn flakes midway

Post by Safegyde »

Hey shiners, been a while. Gotta question for you all.

I have a sugar wash I am fermenting right now about three days in. I am finishing up a bottle from a previous run of the same stuff and I decided I want to add a little flavor. I thought about boiling some corn flakes to kill the nasties and adding some in. Is this advisable since it is already 3 days in? How much should I add to a 5 gallon wash?

What would YOU add to your wash if you had the same deal going on? :shock:

I finally got a proofer! Turns out that I am pushing out 160 proof (80% abv) from my 3 gallon pot still. :D It has a thumper which I am sure helps a bit. The sugar washes I am making are coming out at roughly 8% abv using just a bakers yeast with inverted sugar. The taste isn't bad, but distinctive. I don't expect to get a completely neutral spirit so I thought about adding some corn flakes. Next time I am going to make some whiskey. Which brings me to one more question if you don't mind.

They sell those little boxes of barley for a breakfast cereal in the stores around here. If I crush that up will that provide the flavor I want, in conjunction with rye of course? Or is it not the right kind of barley..ie. malted?

Thanks for your help guys.
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

You chuld add cornflakes but i think it would take a lot to make a difference in taste .and yes you could use use those little boxes but
grain mashes usually 2-3 lb per gal and somthing for enzymes maybe try boiling some put water
in your thumper?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Add a pound of frozen corn,thawed of cource.It will give more flavor,and doesnt have all that extra crap in it.You could add some barley too,but buy the kind that you use in soup.I havent tried it,but it should give some flavor.You could toast it some first,but be careful,it would probably burn easy.The frozen corn works.Ive done it on a sugar wash.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Thanks guys, I think I will try adding some of both corn flakes and some corn.

I usually use the tails from the previous run in the thumper with a little water added. Seems to work good.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

I just boiled the corn flakes and the corn a little to kill any bacteria and the water is a lovely yellow color and full of smell and flavor. I am adding a little of that to the mix as well. I am also pitching another 21 grams of yeast as I did a little experimentation this time. I met an old moonshiner last week and he laughed at me when I told him I only use 2 1/2 pounds of sugar to 5 gallons of water. He said, "you aint got s#@t, two percent is all you got. You need to use about 17 pounds of sugar!" Well I thought that was a little much. Plus my washes are coming out at about 8%, but I thought I would humor him so I went up to 10 pounds of sugar for 5 gallons. Seems to be working now, but since I primarily use bakers yeast I am pitching more to make sure it doesn't get stuck. Wish me luck.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

...went up to 10 pounds of sugar for 5 gallons. Seems to be working now, but since I primarily use bakers yeast I am pitching more to make sure it doesn't get stuck...
Shouldn't stick, just right.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling