best wash for a neutral ?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

terryt

Post by terryt »

greetings people - Up till now, all I've used is turbo yeast. I'm happy with the results and the fact that it produces a decent % abv (I think about 16 % last time), but its definitely time to venture out and try something new. If I wanted to produce the best neutral (with as little taste and smell as possible), what would be the recommended wash to start with ?

and, I'm thinking ahead a bit on this one, but if I have an apple tree with apples ready in early to mid summer, what would be the best way to use them ? Once I did try soaking cut up apples in a 40% or so neutral, but it kinda bothered me that a lot of the neutral I used was soaked up in the apples, and was never retrieved when it was all over. Would it be worth it to try making a cider and then using that as a wash ? Or what have you guys tried ?
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

ahh, I did this, kind of.

I used 10kg's of apples, and a touch of sugar (1 kg), in 25 litres, and did 2 washes. The second wash was far more fruitful (as regards to alcohol content), I'm not sure why, perhaps adding sugar the first time around wasn't a good idea.

Anyhow, the result was definately a very clean neutral, with hints of apples in the tails (I was after an apple tasting result, not a neutral).

I macerated mine with apples, but, some friends where very happy with some of the appleish vodka that came off. But the apple taste was extremely subtle, and wouldn't have been there at all if I had cut it with neutral in mind, or used a reflux still. But I was after some apple taste.

Turbos I am not a fan of, my last turbo wash I distilled 3 times, repeatedly watering down the product to about 40% and re-distilling, till it was basically tasteless.

I personally found it hard to remove the "taint" of a turbo wash, hense the multiple re-distillations. I figured loss of volume was preferable to a bad taste.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

I would try a champagne yeast, ec-1118, they can withstand a high abv and produce no strong tastes.

Go for the apple thing straight away!! Why not? What kind of still are you using? Sounds like a reflux since you are making neutral spirit. Do you have a pot still? If you use a lot of apples make sure to take out the seeds. Not only do they produce a slight bitter effect, but they have cyanide in them. Believe it or not. Probably not enough to do much damage. But never hurts to be careful.

My wife spent a month in New Z till they kicked her out!! Is it still the law that you can't move there unless you marry someone or have a relative there? keeping the good scenery to yourselves!!??!! 8)
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

I would make apple pies or cider with your apples.

I would use fresh bakers yeast from any good health food store for a sugar wash.

Cheers,

G
My sugar wash for ethanol is under the Tried and true recipes forum.
smokerscully1
Swill Maker

Post by smokerscully1 »

Listen to Birdwatcher--treat his words like gold.
I've followed his sugar wash reciepe with tomato paste--nothing could be easier--I couldn't be more pleased with the vodka it makes.