Bending 1/4" copper..?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tideliner
Novice

Bending 1/4" copper..?

Post by Tideliner »

I was just trying to bend a tight coil of 1/4" copper tubing for the cooling section of a Mini Still column.

Tried to wrap it around a broom stick, and end up with the perfect diameter to slip inside a 1 1/2" copper column. I created a few spots that will restrict water flow more than I'd like so I stopped before I destroyed it all.

Are there any tricks to bending it without kinking? Can it be done without a spring?
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

I use either sand or salt. Just pack your tubing as tight as you can and bend.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Check out Related Hardware and Appurtenances

Post by minime »

Related Hardware and Appurtenances has a sticky about winding a coil. Some great advice from Pintoshine and really good photos of a simple jig. You should also view Hookline's photobucket .I think his photobuck is listed under Sinker 2007. He has fine way of reducing back pressure with a parallel wind and spacing between the loops.

Good luck to you
Tideliner
Novice

Post by Tideliner »

Thanks for that.

I knew there had to be a better way. You guys have been a great help!
autoworker
Novice

Post by autoworker »

I haven't tried this yet, but since I work in an industry where hydraulics are used every day, this seems to make sense to me.

The basic principle behind all hydraulic jacks, etc., is that liquids cannot be compressed. Therefore, to bend a copper coil without kinking it, fill it with water, seal off both ends, and bend away. This can be done by attaching the appropriate compression fittings that you are eventually going to use on your condenser. After bending, simply disconnect the fittings, and there you go!

Attaching your 1/4" copper to a tap and filling with water seems a lot easier than trying to fill it with salt or sand, and then flushing it out.

Just my opinion, I could be full of shyte.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Neither liquids nor gases will stop tubing from distorting... They will only be displaced to other areas and the pressure will increase equally across the entire sealed area as the tube compresses in the same manner as if the tubing was empty... The same effect will happen even if the contents of the tubing is under pressure... Physics and fluid dynamics at work...
Tideliner
Novice

Post by Tideliner »

That salt filled tube did the job -super slick ! I wrapped 6 ft. of 1/4" copper around a 1/2" rod. Then did a return coil over top the inner coil.

It worked out beautifully, and has absolutely no room to wiggle when slipped inside a 1 1/2" column.

I filled the tube with salt, and did the double wrapping in about 30 minutes. It took me another 4 hrs to get the salt out. Next time I will try to tap the salt out before flushing it with water. I finally made a fitting for my air compressor, and with 90 psi, blew it clear. -don't think I would try sand on a tight coil...
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

Tideliner wrote:That salt filled tube did the job -super slick ! I wrapped 6 ft. of 1/4" copper around a 1/2" rod. Then did a return coil over top the inner coil.

It worked out beautifully, and has absolutely no room to wiggle when slipped inside a 1 1/2" column.

I filled the tube with salt, and did the double wrapping in about 30 minutes. It took me another 4 hrs to get the salt out. Next time I will try to tap the salt out before flushing it with water. I finally made a fitting for my air compressor, and with 90 psi, blew it clear. -don't think I would try sand on a tight coil...
made 3 sand coils. The sand has to me very thin and dry. And even then it takes about one hours playing with the coil to get the sand out.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Don't use Sugar!! Hell, I wouldn't even use salt now. Anything that will absorb water might not be the best idea, ie. salt, sugar, etc. Sand might be the best thing. You could also wear thick gloves and gently heat it up with a torch, then slowly and gently bend it without anything inside. Then move on down the line. Cool it off before touching it.
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
Tideliner
Novice

Post by Tideliner »

Yeah,

I think things got really plugged up when the salt was dampened.

I considered using sugar, and melting it out if it jammed like salt. Splattering that liquid lava may not feel too great though.

Sand might be easier...
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

All ya gotta do is hook up yer salt filled copper line to a hose fittin' and turn on the hose.

Then walk away for 10 min.

All is solved.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

theholymackerel wrote:All ya gotta do is hook up yer salt filled copper line to a hose fittin' and turn on the hose.

Then walk away for 10 min.

All is solved.
Just dont do that on your lawn (spoken from experience).

H.
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

Post by CanadianWhiskey »

me and buddy did it around a a broom stuck just pull tight
it also makes a differnce which way unravel the copper from the store, go the same way was it came out, and try not to twist it, just wrap it, noo need to pck it with anything
Less Chattin More Drinkin