Liquid yeast.......good or better???

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

Liquid yeast.......good or better???

Post by Safegyde » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Hello all.

So I normally use bakers yeast. So far I have had pretty good results from store bought products and the less I have to put my cc number on the internet the better. But I was doing a little research and saw that there is a liquid yeast out there. Has anyone used this before?? How does it work, better, just as good?

Does it make rocket fuel?? "Rocket fuel malt liquor..DAMN!"
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:49 pm

as far as I know dried or liquid ether works good I use dried
or my own I thank you can do better than bakers yeast dried is
cheaper than liquid and works just as well .if you buy in bulk you
can save money

CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Am I missing something, if you add water to dried yeast don't you get liquid yeast?
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:03 pm

I thank liquid yeast is like a ready made yeast starter

BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Dried yeast and ready-made starters work equally well, IMO. But, dried yeasts don't take up fridge space and have a longer shelf life, so I use them.

Getting a reliable strain of brewer's yeast is a worthwhile investment. They can usually tolerate higher sugar concentrations better, ferment out fuller (depending on the type), and give a better flavor profile than baker's yeasts. An ale yeast is a good choice for grain mashes, and champagne yeasts are better for neutrals. When doing a fruit wash, use the same kind of yeast that would be used in the most flavorful variety of wine from that fruit.

Of course, if you're in a region suited to it, you can culture your own strain from your native species (i.e. spontaneous ferments), but results can vary.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg

wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 pm

If your making all grain beers,or honey mead,the liquid yeasts are great.
But for fermenting sugar,bread yeast,wine yeast,or distillers yeast is best.
Buy the bread yeast or distillers yeast by the pound,and use quite a bit of it to overcome the osmotic stress.Dont use too much sugar.You shouldnt go any higher than 1080SG for best results.I use 8 pounds in 5 gallons.

zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:53 am

Some yeasts dont take well to the drying process, so seem to be only sold as liquid cultures...