apple crop a bust :(

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

drunkensailor68
Novice

apple crop a bust :(

Post by drunkensailor68 »

Hey everyone I was hoping to have a good crop of apples this year but scab got 14 out of 16 trees and I basically ended up with one tree for me and one for the squirrels. I wanted to put my new found grinder/press to work
DCP_8940.JPG
Instead, this is about all I ended up with was this BTW does anyone know what kind of apples these are? They are strange looking apples to me, all sorts of sizes, colors and shapes. and yes they are ripe they have a nice bitter sweet taste. the ones that are a lighter dull green tend to be a little sweeter
20150705_112902.jpg
So my thought is to grind but not press and just ferment with pulp maybe ( for a 6.5gal bucket ) 15lbs pulp, water to 3 inches from top and enough sugar to reach an OG of 1.06 - 1.07 and one pack of ec1118 then single run pot still when ready
This is my first attempt with fruit and I might be able to get about this many more apples in another couple weeks if I screw this up.
Im not going to have enough fruit to do anything fancy like calvados so I would be happy with a nice tasting apple brandyshine.

Does it sound like Im on the right track? Suggestions?

Thanks
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: apple crop a bust :(

Post by bearriver »

You should get over 5 gallons of juice if you juice em. Simply juice and pitch yeast.

Save the sugar for tea!!! :twisted:
drunkensailor68
Novice

Really!
Again this is my first. I would have never thought it would press that much juice. So, do you think its worth pressing. I mean, labor vs yeild
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Mmm sounds yummy. I want to try an apple rye some time. Bet could do something like a UJSSM adding rye for flavour to the extracted juice thats will provide the sugar :) Its on my todo list but apples won't be on here for 1-2 months

Too bad about your poor crop but think of it this way maybe that little bit you make will be that more special?

B
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

drunkensailor68 wrote: So, do you think its worth pressing. I mean, labor vs yeild
You got a press. Use it. It's only 3 buckets of apples, so labor/yield is a non issue. Grind, press, ferment, distill. :thumbup:

Oh, and make sure your having fun while you're at it.
drunkensailor68
Novice

Thanks Bear
Advice taken, I pressed all and got a little shy of 4 gal then took some of the pulp and, instead of throwing it out, went to plan A and added water/sugar then froze enough to do another bucket if it turns out. So, glad I listened to you. Now I have 4 gallons of good cider to work with as well as the pulp :thumbup:
20150705_135855.jpg
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I'm surprised you didn't get more juice from what looked like 13 gallons of apples. No matter, that is enough to make a fine drop.

I'm also very interested to see what kind of sugar head you turn out from that pulp. I'd shoot for a SG of 1.07

Also, apple juice should be on sale everywhere right now due to the upcoming harvest. You can always bump up your volume if you feel the need with some store bought.
drunkensailor68
Novice

May do the store bought idea.
Just checked my SG and Both buckets were at 1.042. I put 4lbs sugar on the pulp and the cider was straight up. also just pitched 1 pack each ec1118. Will post again after it gets started
Do you think I should put a little more sugar on the pulp now, or give it a day to settle?
Thanks
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My rule of thumb for grappa type washes, is not to use more sugar than there would have been in the original fruit. Using too much makes for light flavor, which is ok if that's what you want.

I always calculate the sugar and put it all in at the start, then don't mess with it except to push the cap down for a few days.

A trick I have used successfully, is using the backset from the brandy run to make the grappa wash.
Ferment on on the pulp, press, distil, pour the hot backset onto the sugar, cool, add to the pulp, add water if necessary, adjust pH if necessary, aerate, ferment, add the brandy feints to the stripping run.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Just a quick question. Didn't quite understand is he fermenting the juice or the pulp and juice together.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
drunkensailor68
Novice

Two different ferments Bear.
Bucket #1 is pulp with sugar/water
Bucket #2 is straight juice
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I like NZ answer although I think with the pomace you need to almost push down the cap at least twice daily until fermentation is completed. One thing you might try with the grappa when making your final cuts to abv strength try making one with water and the other with non sugar added apple juice and see which you prefer, or a combination of both to see if yu prefer the more apple flavor.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

NZChris wrote:My rule of thumb for grappa type washes, is not to use more sugar than there would have been in the original fruit. Using too much makes for light flavor, which is ok if that's what you want.

I always calculate the sugar and put it all in at the start, then don't mess with it except to push the cap down for a few days.

A trick I have used successfully, is using the backset from the brandy run to make the grappa wash.
Ferment on on the pulp, press, distil, pour the hot backset onto the sugar, cool, add to the pulp, add water if necessary, adjust pH if necessary, aerate, ferment, add the brandy feints to the stripping run.
Thats the best advice Ive seen on making grappa here on HD yet, along with Bushmans adder to push the fruit cap down daily. NZ, you should start a thread in Fruit section on grappa with your method. Or maybe a mod will see fit to move this to its own thread? Making grappa comes up a lot on HD and there still isint a good solid method in T&T on this. Ill try your method on some cherry pomace Ill have shortly after making this Kirsch Im in the middle of now.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
drunkensailor68
Novice

Good advice NZ. If Im not mistaken I did just that only accidently. When I checked the OG for the cider it was 1.042, that was straight cider about 2 hours or so after pressing. After filling my ferment bucket about 1/3 with pulp and 4 lbs sugar and topped off (3" from top) I had the exact same reading as the cider 1.042. So, by your explanation I actually replaced the natural sugars extracted by pressing, I just didn't know it at the time. BTW next time I will leave a little more room at the top :econfused:
When I checked it this morning I had a little bit of a mess to clean up. With only 4 gal of cider I had plenty of room in that bucket and it too had a nice cap on it.
Jimbo, I agree about the sticky, I have read and read until my eyes hurt and saw the word Grappa used several times but did not know what it was til now
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

To try to figure varieties I use the site Orange Pippin ( http://www.orangepippin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ) Very informative apple site. I personally would freeze the pulp, thaw and re-press. I get an extra quart of yield per bucket that way. I normally get 1.25 to 2 gallons per bucket so your yield was pretty good and 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy or bucket is the best place to start because of foaming.
drunkensailor68
Novice

So I have been trying to be patient and let my cider do its thing. its been a little over two weeks now and SG is close to dry. But, the more I think about it I really don't have much cider to work with. I was only able to squeeze out about 3 1/2 gallons and I have a 15 gal boiler.
So my question is, is it too late to add a couple gallons of store bought juice to get some more volume? or would that be a mistake? The fermentation part seems to have been complete for several days (Ihave just been waiting for it to get to SG .099 - 1.00 ) would adding some juice wake up the yeast and extend the time in bucket another month. Or should I just leave well enough alone and run the 3 1/2
Thanks for any help
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

As long as you're not running electric where the element is above liquid 3.5g is fine in a 15g pot. No issue. Liquid vapor expansion is 1600x.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

About the poor yield on OP, we had a poor crop last year and this year brought in some bees. We are having to trim off some of the apples so the others will grow in size, what a big difference pollinating makes.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Bushman wrote:what a big difference pollinating makes.
:ebiggrin: Indeed. They make delicious honey too. I harvested 48 lbs off a hive Saturday. Very nice light fruit tree and spring flower honey. Boxes are back on now for the fall goldenrod bloom.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I add juice to my cider throughout the season, haven't had any problem with yeast not charging right ahead. It just takes more time for it to finish but I personally wouldn't run an apple ferment before a month is up and probably 2 or 3. My current batch is more than 6 months. I scrounge apples mostly and have plenty of bumble bees around as long as the trees don't wake up too early like my pears did.