Licorice Liquorice

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Licorice Liquorice

Post by NZChris »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
rubelstrudel wrote:Don't forget the root of Polypodium Vulgare,
How there's a herb I've not heard of before...I wonder how that would work in an Absinthe? I'm always looking for new and unusual herbs for my botanicals... Gins and Absinthes :clap:
We had one as a pot plant when they were first introduced to NZ in the 80s, but I didn't know anything about it's uses. Now it's classed as a noxious weed here and can't be sold. I'll keep an eye out for some on my travels.
Nabatean
Novice

Post by Nabatean »

rubelstrudel wrote:Don't forget the root of Polypodium Vulgare, that's the licorice of the North. Different than the others and it also contains a sweetening compound that can really make something nice with less sugar.

The plant is a common fern that grows wild north of the alps.
Hi Rubelstrudel

Plant grows here but I cant find the dried roots neither recipe or info.
Could you direct me to a good source of info ?

Thanks
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

When I need some Polypodium Vulgare or Sisselrot=Sweet root as we call it, I just go out in my garden and pick some. It grows wild and everywhere on stony ground in Scandinavia.

I usually make a tincture of fresh chopped roots that I let steep for 3-4 days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypodium_vulgare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

One of my most popular recipes is made with tinctures of mandarin zest, cinnamon bark and Polypodium Vulgare. It is a schnapps really, but the sweetness from the roots makes people describe it like something closer to a liqueur without the stickiness.

Right now snow is covering everything so I'll have to wait for spring to harvest more roots.
Always impatient. But learning.
Nabatean
Novice

Post by Nabatean »

rubelstrudel wrote:When I need some Polypodium Vulgare or Sisselrot=Sweet root as we call it, I just go out in my garden and pick some. It grows wild and everywhere on stony ground in Scandinavia.

I usually make a tincture of fresh chopped roots that I let steep for 3-4 days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypodium_vulgare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

One of my most popular recipes is made with tinctures of mandarin zest, cinnamon bark and Polypodium Vulgare. It is a schnapps really, but the sweetness from the roots makes people describe it like something closer to a liqueur without the stickiness.

Right now snow is covering everything so I'll have to wait for spring to harvest more roots.

Thanks Rubel

Will go to forest as soon as I can and try it out.
Nabatean
Novice

Post by Nabatean »

Hi Rubel

Been collecting these polypodium roots. I dried them and tried them out last week.
I am a bit disappointed.
Taste is kind of licorice, bit sweet but somewhat dies when drying and distilling.

Will have to try with fresh ones
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I had a hunt for some in an area where they had been growing wild but it appears that the Department of Conservation had cleared them out before I got there. :(
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

I don't know how they would turn out dried. I always just chop them up or crush them fresh, and make tincture that I add directly into the drink after distilling. Maybe the heat denatures part of the taste? It is not licorice, but somewhat similar. It goes really well with some citrus peel and a dash of cinnamon. What sets polypodium apart is that sweetness.

If you leave the roots in the tincture for more than three days you get bitterness and the tincture starts clouding, so I avoid that.
Sisselrot04.jpg
standard_Sisselrot.JPG
polypodium_vulgare1.jpg
Always impatient. But learning.
Nabatean
Novice

Post by Nabatean »

Thanks Rubel
Its on the list for this spring together with burdock.
Cheers
Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

I make a gin (well known in a blue bottle) I'll call it 'Indian Jewell' Using 10 raw ingredients. I would not be without the liquorice in the recipe. You can taste slight liquorice flavours in the commercial product. When I produce my second batch I am going to increase it. I buy it in it's natural twig form; the powder can loose some of it's flavour. I give it a twirl in the coffee grinder. My gin making method using a T500 reflex still, is to use a botanical basket at the base of the column. I use a pre distilled run of carbon filtered alcohol 40ABV with filtered water (50/50) total volume 23litres. With this botanical spirit run I remove all stainless steel packing and copper saddles and let her run Finished product beautiful.
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

We have licorice root growing rampant in out vege patch and the roots can get over 6' long, now by chopping them up while fresh into 3/8" lengths then drying out so one can crush them in a corana mill. Then macerate in some 40% along with some cinnamon and a few crushed black peppers, leave overnight then run thru a pot still makes for such a nice drop. Also leaving it to age in the bottle if one can lets it fully develop into a very nice drink.

Cheers Bryan
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Glycyrrhizin, which occurs naturally in licorice root, has cortisone-like effects and can cause high blood pressure, water retention, and other problems.
Getting hung up all day on smiles