Fruit Chart

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Fruit Chart

Post by Tater »

http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Fruit Chart

Post by blanikdog »

Handy information Tater. Especially for those of us who have easy access to fruit.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

This is just what I needed. I have a pear tree but now I'll have to fight off the deer for them.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

kenfyoozed wrote:This is just what I needed. I have a pear tree but now I'll have to fight off the deer for them.
Shoot the deer, venison is great with some good schnapps!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

a couple pears or apples go good in it if making a pot roast
hendecp
Novice
Location: Planet Earth, western hemisphere, in the "lower 48"

Post by hendecp »

Good chart, thanks for posting the reply. Would someone help me understand the ratios for adding sugar when you have fruit? I know that yeast needs sugar to make alcohol, but what is the ratios? I struggle with this and have been reading a lot of recipes, but of course I would like to develop some of my own :eugeek: .

Just looking for a point in the direction....

Thanks!
Wherever you go, there you are..... But, where am I and how did I get here???
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Not understanding what your asking fruits have natural sugar in them. http://homedistiller.org/sugar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
hendecp
Novice

Post by hendecp »

Tater wrote:Not understanding what your asking fruits have natural sugar in them. http://homedistiller.org/sugar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ok, so if I were to do an all fruit mash I would use that chart to figure out how much fruit I needed for the mash depending on the amount of water I was using.

10 US gal of water
X number of apples

And so on. So, in a corn mash say 15lbs of cracked corn and 15lbs of sugar and 10 US gallons of water then yeast. Ferment and go.

Apples have 11g of sugar, so would I need 500 apples to make the the equivalent of 15lbs of sugar? Based on the chart, 11g x 100 = 1.1kg then 1.1kg x 5 = 5.5kg which is equivalent to roughly 12.1lbs. Am I off?

Just trying to figure out the amount of fruit/sugar/water ratios to mess around with for different washes.
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

hendecp wrote:
Tater wrote:Not understanding what your asking fruits have natural sugar in them. http://homedistiller.org/sugar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ok, so if I were to do an all fruit mash I would use that chart to figure out how much fruit I needed for the mash depending on the amount of water I was using.

10 US gal of water
X number of apples

And so on. So, in a corn mash say 15lbs of cracked corn and 15lbs of sugar and 10 US gallons of water then yeast. Ferment and go.

Apples have 11g of sugar, so would I need 500 apples to make the the equivalent of 15lbs of sugar? Based on the chart, 11g x 100 = 1.1kg then 1.1kg x 5 = 5.5kg which is equivalent to roughly 12.1lbs. Am I off?

Just trying to figure out the amount of fruit/sugar/water ratios to mess around with for different washes.
i think your off. 100 grams of apples has 11.8g of sugar. you would have to weigh the apples.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

thats 11.8g per 100g of apples so same as 11.8 % sugar. (not per apple)
454g in lb <100=4.54x11.8=53.57g sugar per lb of apples
lb of apples X 53.57=amount of sugar in graims

so if you had 50lb of apples
50 X 53.57=26785g or 5.89 lb of sugar.(in 50 lb apples)
(this will very)
hendecp
Novice

Post by hendecp »

Ok I get it now. I didn't read the top left cell where it CLEARLY stated 100g substance...... Thanks for setting me straight.

So for the formula below, I would need to add like 9 more lbs of sugar? Am I on the right track?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

it depends if adding water and how high of ABV you want .. real brandy sugar is not allowed in.(during ferment)
most fruit like apple have enough juice and they dont need water.so its just fruit ground/mashed and some is pressed.(say cider?) to git around the "no sugar" some use white grape concentrate.much of the fruit brandy you see in US is grape brandy flavoured with ?? real brandy is clear or aged on wood and colored like whisky.
stephen42
Novice

Post by stephen42 »

hey guys thought I'd put my 2c in on the subject of ratios.
you wanted to know if I read correctly, how much apples you would need to get 15lb's of sugar in your wash, I think I have it figured:
15lb's sugar = 6.8kg = 6800g
100g apples contains 11.8g sugar or 11.8% per 100g of apples
we need to convert all to grams which we have and then we will convert back to lb's at the end.
we need a 1:1 ratio: 11.8g/100g = 0.118g of sugar per 1 gram of apple.
6800g/0.118g = 57627.11g of apples needed to get 15Lbs of sugar.
57627.11/1000kg = 57.63kg or 127 Lb's of apples needed to get 15 Lbs of sugar in your wash.
so lets check the calculations:
11.8%/100% x 57.63 = 6.8kg or 14.99 lb's so I'm .01 off the magic number, but I'm happy it took me 5min to figure this out but I'm making the point that I really didn't like chemistry at Uni. anyway I hops this helps you can use this formula/method to pretty much figure out any ratio of sugar you want in your wash, love the recipes guys especially the strawberry panty dropper :-)
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I just knew it usually took 6 bushels apples to make 3 gallons drinking likker
augiecrazy8
Novice

Post by augiecrazy8 »

I think the chart is useful in the sense that it gives you an idea of which fruits/veggies provide the most sugar return for the lowest volume. Instead of buying 50 lbs of apples, try 2 lbs of dates (measurements are clearly used for illustration purposes, likely not accurate). Then using some fancy math you can start plugging away at planting a date tree.
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

thanks for the chart tater!
Ribrob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ribrob »

I believe the original link is broken. Here is another chart.
http://www.enzafoods.co.nz/the-company/ ... ugar-chart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
[th]Raw (per 100g)[/th] [th]Total Sugar (g)[/th]
Apple 10.3
Apricot 8.4
Banana 22.6
Blueberry 11.8
Boysenberry 7.1
Cherries 13.9
Feijoa 7.7
Figs 9.5
Grapefruit 5.0
Grape 15.5
Kiwi 9.6
Lemon 2.1
Rock Lemon 6.1
Nashi 9.6
Nectarine 7.8
Orange 7.7
Peach 7.3
Pear 10.8
Persimmon 15.9
Pineapple 11.5
Plum 13.8
Raspberry 4.6
Strawberry 6.6
Watermelon 5.1
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Nice chart. Keep in mind it varies quite a bit by strain or weather. The average sweetness of the cider from 8 varieties of apples I pick for brandy range from 13 brix (1.052) to 17 brix on hot dry summers (1.068)

Tater says 6 bushels of apples for 3 gallons of drinkin likker. Thats 270 lbs for 15 bottles. I get less than that, I average about 26 lbs of apples per fifth. Might be my cuts, altho i do apple brandy pretty wide, or maybe my press isint as efficient as the big commercial guys.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

maybe my press isint as efficient as the big commercial guys.
So you're pressing apples and not mashing them up, like I've seen in some of the Blueberry Recipes? I've been dying to do a pear run and I've been lurking around here for a few months read alot of this fruit info. Ever trying grinding up the apples?

I bought the old lady a Vitamix so she could make all those healthy drinks. It's amazing what it will do to fruit... Hell I've drank pure juice made of Spinach and fruit. after making these juices I frequently day dream about the potential of fermenting and what the results would be.... but I digress

With very little liquid added you can blend a fruit right into a juice with very little fiber or pulp. Speaking from theory with very little evidence here, couldn't this reduce the amount of fruit used, not to mention add vitamins and nutrient for the yeast? I know getting a SG from a mash like this would be impossible, with the fruit fiber giving false Hydrometer readings. Possibly letting it settle or making some kind of French press to force the pulp to the bottom would help with gravity readings??? At this point I'm thinking and talking out my ass here. I don't have access to massive amounts of pears and I might get some looks walking about of the Grocery store with 100+ lbs of pears. I do love brandy though and I know it will score me big points with my father in-law on our next hunting or fishing excursion.

I'll go back to studying this chart.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Black Eye wrote:
maybe my press isint as efficient as the big commercial guys.
So you're pressing apples and not mashing them up.
Yes I mash them. Here's a thread on my apple grinder and press. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p7018787

Last fall I chewed through 1400+ lbs of apples. Made LOTS of brandy. :) I add nothing but yeast. No water, no nutrients, nothing. Just press, pitch yeast, and it goes to below 1.000 in the month I let it ferment and settle.

I make pear brandy too. Its a little different since pears get mushy when theyre ripe, so they dont press well. I generally pick them and juice them when theyre still a touch hard. Sugar isint peaked yet, so the yield is a little low, but the brandy turns out great, pear nose and flavor is ridiculous. Way stronger fruit nose than apple brandy. Do love me some Calvados (apple brandy) tho. Thats where I cut my teeth stillin.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
hunter172
Novice

Post by hunter172 »

Any ideas on an apple mash/mix?? (our neighbors have a huge orchard)evrything from mcintosh,gala, I have a 3in reflux.Any help would be great! Thanks for having me.
ridhithomas
Novice

Post by ridhithomas »

That's great share. My favorite fruit apple.
Ga_goat
Novice
Location: behind that next palmetto patch , or was it that last one

Post by Ga_goat »

Thanks for the chart ,, have 2 date palms and my brother has 1 ,been wondering what we could do with the tried drying , eating fresh ,, ect just could not get a handel on them so I'll try them at 100 proof
My mom used to bake a cake with them and had a pudding reciept and both were good but she never shared her methods

:ebiggrin:
Anyone who would give up freedom for security will know neither
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

Thank you tater.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

if apples are 10.3 percent sugar, and I ferment pure apples, i will end up with 5.15 percent alcohol after it ferments (half goes to alcohol, half goes to CO2).

If I want 10 percent alcohol, I need to reduce the water in the apples by half, or I can add sugar.

Am I crazy or wrong????? Thank you!
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

drmiller, actually the potential alcohol of a solution with 10.3 percent sugar by weight is 6.4%ABV. That is, assuming that all sugars are converted.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Apples are genneraly 12-15 brix, depending on the variety. That makes them 12-15% by weight sugars. And apples will typically ferment fully dry, 0.995 ish, which puts the alcohol at 7- 8.5% range. My typical year is 13+ brix for a blend of apples. Couple years ago we had a dry year, the apples were smaller but higher in sugar, some reading 15 brix. Store bought ciders, at least several that Ive measured around here are 'normalized' to 12 brix. Yes they water them down some "in the interest of a consistent product" horseshit.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

thank you guys. is there a chart, or formula for converting sugar content to alcohol?
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Luvmyducks
Novice

Post by Luvmyducks »

How do I use this chart for this hobby? I mean, I don't even know how or why this is usefull?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Luvmyducks wrote:
How do I use this chart for this hobby? I mean, I don't even know how or why this is usefull?
keep reading it'll come to you.
be water my friend