Peach Brandy!

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltcitystilling
Novice

Peach Brandy!

Post by Saltcitystilling »

Hello everyone! Wanted to let everyone know how my peach experiment went.

First I used 10 pounds of canned peaches that I blended up. Then 3 pounds of sugar and 4 gallons of water. Sg was 1.061. So I pitched two packets of red star and put it in the wash.

The thing looked and sounded like it was boiling. I opened it every day to knock the cap down and it was incredible. Smelled like peach and alcohol(go figure?)

It took a week to get down to .998 so I let it clear and racked it.

The distillation: First run, I chucked the fores and it started with point jars I fill about a third each. They started coming out at 130 proof, and after 6 jars it was down to 90 proof when the color of the wash started to come through I killed that run. Keep in mind that this is on a 1.5 gallon charge. The second day was the same thing.

Total before dillution I have a half a gallon of extremely sweet and smooth high proof alcohol. It's airing out at the moment. I'm going to be doing another run to put in my oak barrel.
This recipe is incredible and I will help anyone who wants to make it.

All I can say is that every one needs to read and experiment.

Thanks everyone for all of the knowledge!
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Peach Brandy!

Post by pounsfos »

mmm tell us how it tasted, I'm sure with a vanilla bean and maybe some oak, it would be a definate winner
vereid
Novice

Post by vereid »

That sounds delicious! I am working with just fruits right now and I love the aromas from start to finish. I will be keeping your recipe, thanks for posting it.
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Pounsfos - hot off the still it was strong but a very clean taste. It didn't burn like I would have expected to but just tasted neutral. I let it air out for a few days and tasted it again while still white and it tasted of peach! No harsh taste, no burn. Just a lovely peach flavor. I have it on oak with a vanilla bean and a slice of peach in there and I can already tell that it's going to be dangerous.

Vereid- I am going only fruit after this! The amazing smells that come out of the air lock are glorious! I do put my gold star on this. It's amazing. Next one up is a pear wash the same way.

Thanks for the kind words and the reads!
vereid
Novice

Post by vereid »

Awesome! The fruit alcohol makes a most fragrant winter drink with hot water and sugar to taste. I never get a hangover from them either, they are so clean. 3 drinks and I'm done :/
120proof
Novice

Post by 120proof »

Saltcitystilling,

Did you use the juice from the canned peaches as well or only the peaches?

Thanks.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

What was the total size of the ferment? Sounds like a dandy brandy!!

tp
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Sorry for the late reply. I have been having a busy week!

Vereid - Its incredible. I have been sipping on it from time to time but finally after three weeks it tastes like pure peach at 100 proof! I had to add some water to it to get rid of the over powering peach flavor.

120 proof - I used it all! Poured the entire can into the food processor and went to town.

T-Pee - With all of the juices in the peaches it came out to just a hair under 5 gallons. It was indeed dandy. I have another 10 gallons going at the moment and they are doing the same exact thing. Even down to the day on the gravity readings.
stevenun
Novice

Post by stevenun »

I would love to try this... There's a local peach farm that sells the culls cheaply. I don't think I'd have any problem filling up my 7 gallon fermenter with peaches, water and sugar.

Sounds like a good experiment for when the peaches come in!
Look here brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, but just get me through this one thing, and I can go back to killing you with beer. -Homer Simpson
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

I've managed to create a delicious 'white dog', every single time ..
Peach Brandy is what I'm changing over to (for a while).
Reading this has me stoked! Running 6gal.feints Right Now (charging),but gonna clean everything up and mash-in Peaches tomorrow ..
Thanks and any advice will be Greatly appreciated.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Nine days ago I put my peach must through the still then chucked what I considered was heads and tails into a feints jar. I tasted it and it was surprisingly good, so I toasted some heartwood from the same tree and put that in the jar with it. ABV is 41%. Tasted again yesterday and it's better than the 55% ABV heart cut that has had a peach soaking in it, and the white dog without.

I will age them all separately for a while, but I suspect they will be blended in the future.
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Theosus - Please do try this! I plan on doing the same thing when the peaches come in season around here as well as a bunch of other fruit.

MoonBreath - I am trying to figure out how to make a good whitedog but I just cant seem to get it right so I went to a different option in the peaches and I think I am stuck on the brandy end of things. I noticed that they dont have to be 100% puree(sp?) and if you let it sit a few days after its reached below 1.000 on the hydrometer the wash eats away at the peaches. I will be posting pictures below of the run I did last night and it was even tastier than the first! Be sure to push the cap down on it every day from what I have noticed. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

NZChris - Its crazy. Even the heads and tails on the brandy is tasty. I have a small barrel I am going to be putting a bunch of hearts into. So I am excited about that. I am happy yours turned out so well.

Also have some pictures for everyone! Dont judge me by my way of uploading them.
The jars at the bottom proofs straight off the still are as follows
1. 139
2. 139.
3. 133
4. 133
5. 130
6. 130
7. 129
8. 120
9. 115
10. 112
This is where I ran out of things to put it in so I had to stop.

Since I cant figure out how to post the pictures here is a link to the album.
http://imgur.com/a/ZnJK3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

The copper looks really nice Saltcity. The only thing I would suggest is to take the plastic off the end of the spout where the peach goodness comes out.
Saltcitystilling
Novice

halfbaked wrote:The copper looks really nice Saltcity. The only thing I would suggest is to take the plastic off the end of the spout where the peach goodness comes out.
Dont judge me. I know I shouldnt have it there but until I can get something else it has to stay. I bought the alcohol friendly kind for now.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Saltcitystilling wrote:
halfbaked wrote:The copper looks really nice Saltcity. The only thing I would suggest is to take the plastic off the end of the spout where the peach goodness comes out.
Dont judge me. I know I shouldnt have it there but until I can get something else it has to stay. I bought the alcohol friendly kind for now.

Don't confuse me judging you with trying to keep you safe.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Saltcitystilling wrote:
I bought the alcohol friendly kind for now.
What kind is that? Seriously.

tp (non-judgmental but viably concerned)
Saltcitystilling
Novice

T-Pee wrote:
Saltcitystilling wrote:

No clue really. I know I have to get rid of it, I just dont know what to replace it with.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Saltcitystilling wrote:
T-Pee wrote:
Saltcitystilling wrote:

No clue really. I know I have to get rid of it, I just dont know what to replace it with.
Copper or stainless. Your choice!

tp
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Brazed an extra 1.5" to the end and cleaned. So I am all safe now! That Brandy has been airing out and the taste of peaches is kind of over powering.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

This sounds Awsome . I am a noob but you said you killed the run when the color of the wash started coming though? Did she puke on ya?
zirtico
Novice

Post by zirtico »

Really want to try this. How much of your batch did you run twice? Do you think it was better after one or two distillations? Could you give us some details on your cuts?

Thanks
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

With sugar added its not a brandy. Doesn't make it any less tasty though. peach or plums with sugar or not make my favorite drink. :thumbup: .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Biggreenavalanche
Novice

Post by Biggreenavalanche »

Gonna try this...will be mashing t'mrrow! Let you know how it comes out.

Cheers,
Rich
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Diesel410 wrote:This sounds Awsome . I am a noob but you said you killed the run when the color of the wash started coming though? Did she puke on ya?

Im still a noob as well! It didnt puke on me but after three hours of just peach color coming out and it tasting like pure water I shut it down.
Saltcitystilling
Novice

zirtico wrote:Really want to try this. How much of your batch did you run twice? Do you think it was better after one or two distillations? Could you give us some details on your cuts?

Thanks
I actually didnt run any of it twice! It was all once through. I wouldnt dare running it through a second time with how much flavor was coming through as well as the amount of alcohol was amazing.
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Tater wrote:With sugar added its not a brandy. Doesn't make it any less tasty though. peach or plums with sugar or not make my favorite drink. :thumbup: .

Dont tell me how to live my life! I love this drink. Its my favorite :)
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Biggreenavalanche wrote:Gonna try this...will be mashing t'mrrow! Let you know how it comes out.

Cheers,
Rich

Please do! I love hearing how others have used this recipe and have had success! Let us all know how it goes for you!
Biggreenavalanche
Novice

Mashing now !
Biggreenavalanche
Novice

Mashed...wish me luck, followed above recipe to the t
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Could you please explain "knock the cap down"? This sounds like a good easy way to get into making brandy. (yes I know it's not "real" brandy). How many jars of peaches you have to get to equal 10lbs? That sounds kinda expensive. Could this be done with just regular peaches blended up?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.