Strawberries

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Strawberries

Post by der wo »

Kareltje wrote:When I made wine I was warned: strawberries taste and smell very good, but the wine is disappointing. Standard recipe was 2 kg of berries plus 1,25 kg of sugar in 5 litre ferment. I don't think this proves, that strawberries are not suited for mashing. This is more a strawberry flavored sugar wash. I can understand, that you used a bit sugar, but to dilute it with water, only that it is possible to use even more sugar? 2kg strawberries + 0.5kg sugar = 2.3l 12-13%. This is what I would do perhaps.

Pecto-enzyme releases methanol, so I would prefer two cycles of freezing and thawing. For strawberries both pecto-enzyme and freezing is not needed, if you mash them ripe.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

When I did this recipe I froze them because I didn't get them all at one time, even with the addition of sugar the flavor was nice and smooth with a subtle taste of the berries.
A year later, I only have a small bit left butt... the berry taste came through very strong and is a good drink white.
I haven't put any wood in my fruit likker, except for a quart of the plum brandy which I wish I wouldn't have done.

My suggestion if you want to strawberry is to use no less than 4# fruit to 1# sugar maybe even 5 to 1.

The only way I can't see adding water is if you have a shit load of berries and don't need to or if you like der wo have a still with an agitation system. OR a thumper in which you could use a steam outfit.

Shine0n
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Shine0n wrote:The only way I can't see adding water is if you have a shit load of berries and don't need to or if you like der wo have a still with an agitation system. OR a thumper in which you could use a steam outfit.
It's by far more easy to distill a thick fruit wash than a grain wash without agitation. Scorching problems are almost always with grain here. Grain particles stick, fruit particles slip.
And except you distill with an internal element, there are many ways to reduce the likelihood of scorching:
-Insulating the still helps distilling with low wattage.
-Stirring while heating up. Most scorches happen while heating up.
-Pouring the wash through a cotton bag and hang it in the boiler or place it on a stand (a ss grid and threaded rods for example).
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I heat with propane but have heated a thick fruit wash without issues, I doubt I go electric just because I don't want to run in the house and my brew barn is without power.
Most of my fruit wash I do not strain very well and for the most part is pretty thick expecially the plums and peaches.
I do however get all the top (clear stuff) and add to the boiler what it takes to reach a full charge.
I do have the boiler and thumper insulated and heat very slow just to avoid a burnt bottom.
I also keep the boiler open to stir until things start moving along and preheat the thumper.