Tater's Peach Shine

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tater's Peach Shine

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I had some extra Peaches a while back from a couple trees in my yard. I searched the forum and found a tutorial for Peach Moonshine, that Tater had posted about 10 years ago.
I tried to follow what he did as best as I could, but I couldn't find my paint stirrer paddle to help grind the peaches.
I took about 40# Peaches, froze them, thawed them and mashed them up as best as I could with a Tater Masher.
I added about 20# Sugar and about 20 gallons spring water from the spring behind my house. I stirred all this up well and added distillers yeast. I Stirred it about twice a day to help break up the cap; it finished in about a week or so.
(There are some large chunks floating but most was really ground up well.)
DSCN7614.JPG
I dipped off the floating peach parts and let it settle for a couple days. I filtered it with that Ga, Flatwoods ground cloth and it was quiet a struggle at that.
DSCN7617.JPG
I ran it in two different batches, adding the tails from the first batch back into the wash for the second batch.
DSCN7618.JPG
There was a good Peach Flavor carryover, especially when you start to get into the Tails.....Its hard to make a cut off when you are getting that good Peach flavor along with the Tails flavor.
DSCN7623.JPG
This was a lot of trouble but I got a couple gallons of really good Drinking Likker out of this project.
I am just wondering how long the Peach flavor will last....will it fade in a couple Months???
I know, just drink it all now and you wont have to worry about it.
I may get in trouble, but the Wife's home canned peaches may start disappearing into Peach Shine.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Tater's Peach Shine

Post by Bushman »

Sounds tasty, we don't have the peaches here in the PNW but for projects like yours my vacuum filter has saved my a$$ from a lot of extra work.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=25090
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Nice job Appalachia. I'm gonna use your 40,20,20 formula but instead of peaches I am using apricots. The apricots are frozen (had a bumper crop this year). I am still drying some. Hope it turns out as well as yours. I have never done a brandy, so thanks for the post. Anybody think this won't work with cots? And if I were making wine as well, would you still add the sugar?

Edit: I found a couple apricot wine recipes online. Seems complicated with all the various chemicals needed. Maybe I'll just stick with Appalachia's recipe.
Last edited by GrassHopper on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sounds like you've got a winner :D I just picked up another basket yesterday, 50 lbs now total and think I'll try this one out. Sunday when I run my plum brandy I'll have a free fermenter and start this one!!! Thanks for the pics and recipe :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I cleaned out the fermenter today as I ran the plum. Going to start defrosting peaches tomorrow :D should be interesting to see the sg before or if I add the sugar. I may just duplicate ur recipe, I've read about sharp bite when adding sugar. I'm very new to brandies so I'd like the best turn out either way.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

To my taste inverting sugar helps with the bite
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Tater wrote:To my taste inverting sugar helps with the bite
Not sure I understand, could you please explain that process or guide me in the right direction. Thanks
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

http://homedistiller.org/sugar/sugar/invert" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks alot, I have always melted my sugar on the stove with water before putting in the fermenter. Not a boil and or citric acid though. Will try this go round with the peaches. Thanks again
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Shine0n wrote:Thanks alot, I have always melted my sugar on the stove with water before putting in the fermenter. Not a boil and or citric acid though. Will try this go round with the peaches. Thanks again
HERE is more information about invert sugar...
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Rad, great information there! Tater, thaks as well. I've read and read and looks like there is a whole lot more to do. Once I get a moment to do my ferment I'll post detailed, step by step on the whole process. Appalachian shiner, thanks for the pics and the recipe. This is my next adventure :thumbup:
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shine0n wrote:Rad, great information there! Tater, thaks as well. I've read and read and looks like there is a whole lot more to do. Once I get a moment to do my ferment I'll post detailed, step by step on the whole process. Appalachian shiner, thanks for the pics and the recipe. This is my next adventure :thumbup:
TATER is the one who posted the recipe about 10 yrs ago.
I claim no credit, but it turned out really good.
It requires some blending as most of the flavor is in the last half of the run .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sorry, I haven't gotten a chance to read all 67,700 plus post (yet) lol but I must say thanks again since peaches are my next wash and I seen your post here before reading taters post. Also from what I just read on his peach brandy he did all peach w/no sugar although I seen someone say something about his 2006 batch. May just have to read some more. Was also thinking of making a steam basket for my thumper and some fresh peaches.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just finished reading taters peach brandy in the tried and true, I did read that before. A while back in January when I built my first potstill and started reading here on HD. I thought I had it all down then I read a little and found out what little I actually did know. Summer time brings a slew of fruit around my parts of va and brandies are on my mind.
liquid therapy
Novice

Post by liquid therapy »

The flavor only gets better and stronger with time. In my experience white sugar kinds of lessons the peachy goodness.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

AS, does the peach flavor come over strong or just a hint? I currently have 65-70 lbs of peaches and really want a nice drink. I'm only going to run 1 time through a 2" potstill with thumper, and will only ferment a 20 gal wash. I tasted some from a guy and was sweet and really flavorful and of course he wouldn't give up his recipe. it didn't have the abv quite as high as I liked but that's just a matter of personal preference imo.
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

The second half of the run has 90% of the flavor.
I have been blending tails to get more flavor.
I made some Blackberry shine last year and the flavor faded away after a couple months.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

How deep into the tails? Once it got cloudy I cranked it up and ran a gallon of tails. I hope I didn't miss out on the best flavor doing so. The 2 jars before the cloud is a little tails-e ish, I haven't blended yet or tasted any of it because of working so much. Plan on doing some things tomorrow before work with it. Will the tails overpower the fruity taste? Also did you oak yours?
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I haven't Oaked any of it and probably will try a jar just to see how it turns out.
When I spoke of Tails, I was Not referring to the Cloudy end of the run stuff. I meant just when you start getting the off taste but the ABV is still high, and the peach taste is still strong.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Whewww! I'm glad you clarified that, I wasn't going to I just thought your taste buds were burnt off. :lol: sorry for the questions and all but this is only my 2nd attempt at fruit and I definitely learned from the first. Although it smelled really good full strength smelled pretty bad (not too terrible) once diluted to drinking strength. Not so bad now it's been sitting for a couple months but not what I was hoping for. Now I will make more conservative cuts with this one and have less volume for taste sake. Thanks for answering some questions and not bashing
I read alot but sometimes a direct answer is best. Thanks again
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

has anyone aged this in a charred oak barrel?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I haven't because it's so good clear, mine is only 6 moths old and is great! I'm giving it untill July 2017 to celebrate a year and then it's for special occasions only. I have 1.75 gal of 125 ish and I've been tinkering around with some oak and might pull a quart out just for shits and giggles :thumbup:
I'll do it tomorrow and let you know in July if it's worth it or not.
I spent a good amount of money and time and heat for this one so why the hell not try some oak! Just a quart though lol