Peach "Brandy"

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadowphan
Novice

Peach "Brandy"

Post by shadowphan »

Mikey-moo wrote:Hi Shadowphan - welcome to the forum.

Just to clarify - what steps have you taken with the fruit/sugar so far please? Sounds like you've just put fruit in a jar, covered it with sugar and left it for a year. Is that right?

PS. Start a new thread in the Fruit section with your full explaination. People seem to get cross when the welcome thread gets past 'hello'.
Thanks Mikey-moo for the clarity request. Yes, the directions I followed said put a layer of sugar in the bottom of a mason jar, add fruit (peaches) and cover with more sugar, being sure to completely cover the fruit so that sugar was the top most layer, allowing for zero additional air. I now have an inch or two of sugar layer, about 5 inches of liquid, and fruit, with a gaseous space above it which I presume is CO2, mostly. Haven't moved it until yesterday. Left them (more than one fruit, peach, apple, some in combination, all as an experiment) in the bottom of my pantry. Am I looking at an indigestible mass of goo or is there something to it? Liquid is clear. Looks like I need bigger containers and more fruit to use up all the sugar. Don't know enough. Mostly, I'm concerned that the browning on the fruit will spoil whatever the liquid is. Should I keep it going as is? take it out as ready? Totally newbie. Sorry for that. I bet there are threads I haven't found with more information. Still looking around and getting used to everything.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Peach "Brandy"

Post by cranky »

I think what you may be talking about is "brandied peaches" like can be found here
http://newenglandrecipes.org/html/brandied-peaches.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Or maybe you are trying to make something like a "panty dropper" like here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2199
I'm not really clear on exactly what you are trying. Brandy is fermented fruit or fruit juice that is then distilled. In addition to making brandy I also make dessert wines and use sugar in them but nothing like you seem to be describing. I don't think you will get a good ferment if all you do is cover fruit with sugar, the specific gravity will be far to high for the yeast to do much with.