Canned peaches for Peach Brandy

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Skid20
Site Donor
Site Donor

Canned peaches for Peach Brandy

Post by Skid20 »

I came into 25 1gal cans of peaches and thought Id try my hand at some peach Brandy. Ive read quite abit on here about fresh peaches and suger adds and such but nothing on canned peaches. My thought was to dump the peaches and syurp into my 1 of my 40 gal fermenters and grind them up using my constant stir setup, strain out the pulp and add enough water to bring it up to 30gal and pitch my yeast. Any glaring (or not so glaring) problems yall see?? Thanks for the input
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Canned peaches for Peach Brandy

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'd think it would develope better flavor if you fermented pulp and all .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Skid20
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skid20 »

Your probably right, Truckinbutch, I was trying to maximize the yield. What do think about adding 10lbs of Sugar?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Are the peaches in "heavy syrup"
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Check this post:http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=46808
Did this one once, took a while for the flavor to develop.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I don't know why I can't post topics any more. It's on page two of this thread,Peach brandy! By saltcitystiller
Skid20
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skid20 »

Shadylane the peaches were in lite suryp so I added in a bit of suger. I'll check that post Bigbob. On another note, I made a cardel sin and overfilled my fermentor which resulted in pured peaches and yest all over my ferment room. The wife came in the house and said "Um smells like someone one is making bread" it was all over after that.

The yeast reaction was pretty robust at first but then the peach chunks floated to the top and my airlock is barely bubbiling after two days. I would have thought the peaches would have had enough nuts for the wash, but I added some crackers is to help out. This is day three so ill check when I get home tonight
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Skid20, how has this turned out for you? There was a topic on canned peaches here and is pretty lengthy and has a bag of mixed reviews, I'm just curious on how yours turned out and if it's worth the effort and money to do?
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Bigbob wrote:I don't know why I can't post topics any more.
Bigbob you have to separate the http address from the colon youre using there:
If i put a space between them:
BAM!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Thank you! :thumbup:
9_northern_shiner
Novice

Post by 9_northern_shiner »

Skid How did this turn out?
I just put together two mashes with some old home canned peaches and pears I found cleaning out the pantry.

For the peaches I did about 7 jars and 5Lbs sugar to fill my 30L ferment and for The pears I did the same thing to 20L.
Skid20
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skid20 »

Shine0n wrote:Skid20, how has this turned out for you? There was a topic on canned peaches here and is pretty lengthy and has a bag of mixed reviews, I'm just curious on how yours turned out and if it's worth the effort and money to do?
Turned out great! a bit of a hassel screening out the wash though. Had another interesting problem I need some input on.

I charged the still with 25 gal of peach wort and pluged in the still, a wire had come loose in the the heating element connection and shorted out. I made repairs reset breaker and we were off on running. I turn the controler up untill the stil comes up to temp and then turn it down to maintain. I found that when the element shorted it blew the potentiometer (sp) and I could not turn it down. Consequently I was getting way to much reflux and had to keep unplugging the still to keep the temp down and the proof up. After 3-gal of this exercise I got tired of doing it and shut it down. last quart was right at 150.

Question: I left the still full as it was still cranking out 150 and I fixed the controler, can I restart the run after a week of sitting 35 degree room? I dont think it will spoil due to the ABV of the wort but could be wrong.

This was actualy the 2nd run as Ihad too much to run all at once. I used 10-gal of backset and added 15 gal of fresh wort.
Skid20
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skid20 »

Bigbob wrote:Thank you! :thumbup:
Thank you big bob. This is the post that got me interested in trying this. I let mine airout for a few days then added some oakchips for a few days then added in vanella bean, those suckers are expensive! letting it age now then I'll proof it down to about 100
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Skid20 wrote:Question: I left the still full as it was still cranking out 150 and I fixed the controler, can I restart the run after a week of sitting 35 degree room? I dont think it will spoil due to the ABV of the wort but could be wrong.
Should be fine... While some don't, I would suggest taking another very small foreshots cut at the very start before proceeding where you left off...
Skid20
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skid20 »

Thanks Rad. thought that would be the case but you never know