Fruit, juice, and DNA separation

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kimmya
Novice

Fruit, juice, and DNA separation

Post by kimmya »

I run a valved reflux still and like to add juice and fruit to cut it. The problem started when I made a strawberry juice from fresh strawberries. After filtering the juice, which was perfectly clear, and as soon as I added the ethanol, I would get this thick, pink fluff on top. Well nobody would want to drink that. I could not figure out what it could be (fine pulp, tiny ground up seeds). It wasn't till I was making a peach shine when it happened again that I had that light bulb moment. I worked for 3 years in a recombinant DNA laboratory (28 years ago) and we used ethanol to separate human DNA out of suspension. As soon as you add ethanol to your suspension the DNA would appear as like strands of cotton surrounded by a clear gel. And there it was on top of my peach shine. Peach DNA which came out of suspension. Now to get rid of it. What we used in the laboratory to pull it out was a very thin glass pipet, twirl it around in the DNA and lift it out. Sure you can filter it at this point, but it's just gonna clog it.
MDH
Distiller

Re: Fruit, juice, and DNA separation

Post by MDH »

Not sure it's strawberry DNA you have. I believe you're knocking crystals of fruit acids out of their connection to water molecules because of the way alcohol rapidly reacts with water.

My other recommendation is that you try adding pectin enzyme to the juice, then clarify it with an agent like food grade diatomaceous earth before adding the alcohol.

Try aging it for a week, or warming the jar/bottle up in warm water for a short time. See if it clarifies.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

28 years ago? That would have been 1989? Working on recombinant DNA?
Seems pretty new to me.
kimmya
Novice

Post by kimmya »

Kareltje wrote:28 years ago? That would have been 1989? Working on recombinant DNA?
Seems pretty new to me.
Yep 28 years ago. Graduated from college in 1986 and it was my first job at Ft. Detrick, Frederick, MD and we did custom work for NIH. Worked there 3 years.
kimmya
Novice

Post by kimmya »

MDH wrote:Not sure it's strawberry DNA you have. I believe you're knocking crystals of fruit acids out of their connection to water molecules because of the way alcohol rapidly reacts with water.

My other recommendation is that you try adding pectin enzyme to the juice, then clarify it with an agent like food grade diatomaceous earth before adding the alcohol.

Try aging it for a week, or warming the jar/bottle up in warm water for a short time. See if it clarifies.

I will definitely give this a try since I've tried just about everything. Does it change the flavor at all? Should this be done prior to adding sugar or before?
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

No. Excess fatty acids are removed by agents like bentonite. Sparkolloid removes solids and precipitates, such as tartaric acid crystal, is generally not too reactive. But it should be removed from the juice soon after use, as it is slightly basic (composed mostly from naturally occurring CaCO3) to prevent flavor loss. As such it is best used when the juice is cooled to refrigerator temperatures.

Add the sugar after. My recommendation is that you boil sugar water to invert it before addition.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

Get rid of the DNA instead of returning it. I like your idea of removing it with a pipet. If it is gone then it can't come back. It's amazing how much useless information we accumulate in our heads and then one day many years later it suddenly becomes important.