Apple brandy

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lamannamal
Novice

Apple brandy

Post by Lamannamal »

I started an apple brandy with 5 gallons of store bought cider and bakers yeast.. I can't remember if the SG was 1.045 or 1.05, I really need to start writing this down..
anyway it has been fermenting for about a week and a half to two weeks... again my memory is shot, the gravity has come down to 0.997
I have read that appke cider takes a while to ferment and that you should let it ferment for at least a month. So my question is do I need to wait an additional 2 and a half to 3 weeks or can I just run this now? I see zero activity
Jimbo
retired

Re: Apple brandy

Post by Jimbo »

at .997 its done. run it.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Lamannamal
Novice

Post by Lamannamal »

That's what I figured, thanks, excited to get this on some toasted oak!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

It would've been better with a wine yeast at low 70'sf for a slow ferment, plus from my readings bread yeast isn't ideal for fruit ferments.
Let us know how she turns out :thumbup:
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Lamannamal wrote:That's what I figured, thanks, excited to get this on some toasted oak!
Have you run it yet? Did you get much flavor?

I have 6 gallons of apple mash going right now. IT DOES take a while to ferment. The yeast seems to bubble like crazy but the SG drops pretty slow. I have about 10 pounds of apples that I crushed, cooked for ten minutes, and crushed again. I added a gallon of apple cider I had in the fridge, 2 pounds of dark brown sugar, and enough white sugar to raise the SG to about 13%. I'm fermenting the whole thing with d47 and it smells awesome. I tried apple before with just juice and KV1116 yeast and got NO apple flavor at all. This stuff smells a lot better.
I'm going to pull the nylon bag out with the apples today, and rack into a carboy and let it finish and settle out. If it's done and looks decent I might get to run it this week.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

muscashine wrote:I tried apple before with just juice and KV1116 yeast and got NO apple flavor at all.
That's because you likely mcuked up your cuts and blending. The flavor and nose is in the heads. The trick is in finding the right jar and the right amount of that jar to add back to the hearts to get the flavor and nose but not the burn.

tp
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Shine0n wrote:It would've been better with a wine yeast at low 70'sf for a slow ferment, plus from my readings bread yeast isn't ideal for fruit ferments.
Let us know how she turns out :thumbup:
This next year when I process apples I will have to give another yeast a go. I feel I have had good results with Red Star but should probably venture out and do a side by side on this. I hadn't heard that about bread yeast.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

For many members here, Lalvin EC1118 is the go to yeast for fruit.

tp
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

T-Pee wrote:
muscashine wrote:I tried apple before with just juice and KV1116 yeast and got NO apple flavor at all.
That's because you likely mcuked up your cuts and blending. The flavor and nose is in the heads. The trick is in finding the right jar and the right amount of that jar to add back to the hearts to get the flavor and nose but not the burn.

tp
Yeah... Typically when I try fruit, I can smell the fruit flavor in the end of the condenser, but it seems little makes it into the product.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

muscashine wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp
Yeah... Typically when I try fruit, I can smell the fruit flavor in the end of the condenser, but it seems little makes it into the product.
I've said this before - but if you want fruit flavour - infuse a little into your product AFTER you run it - :)
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

So pissed at myself.
So my apple stuff fermented for like 3 weeks. It was still bubbling a little the other morning. But the SG was down to about 1/2% potential alcohol, so I said "Screw it" and dumped it in the boiler. I ran it up slow and easy and finally started getting some drips. I tossed the first 150ml and started collecting. First jar had some good apple smell to it. The next couple of jars were pretty neutral and then I started getting a little tails smell. I ran off about half a quart jar of the higher proof but somewhat tail-ly smelling stuff (I didn't run it all the way down to the dregs).
I dumped the first small jar into an empty quart jar, and then I dumped jar two in with it. smelled great. then I got mixed up and instead of dumping jar 3 in there, I dumped jar 3 in my tails jar and jar four into the "good" jar. so I completely screwed up the final mix. I went ahead and put the tails jar in storage and put my screwy mix in a bottle with a cork in the attic. Maybe it will work out after a while. I was really pleased with myself at first, finally getting some flavor through the pipe into the spirit, and BAM I get confused because I put two identical quart jars on the counter. I'm labeling those bastard next time, "Good stuff" and "crap"
I have 4 quarts of tails now from various runs. A couple more and I'll just run rerun them all together.
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

And that is exactly why I just run every thing into separate jars then let them sit til the next day when I am not busy running the still.
Gives you time time to just concentrate on the cut. I feel for ya.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

That's annoying. When I run something new into individual jars or bottles, I just us a black permanent marker to label the jars , 1,2,3,4 ..... with as much addiional detail as I feel the need for. Only takes a second and afterwards, you can use a paper towel dipped in foreshots to remove the stain as good as new.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Pikey wrote:That's annoying. When I run something new into individual jars or bottles, I just us a black permanent marker to label the jars , 1,2,3,4 ..... with as much addiional detail as I feel the need for. Only takes a second and afterwards, you can use a paper towel dipped in foreshots to remove the stain as good as new.
Yeah I screwed the pooch on that one. I'm going to try again some time soon though. Since I lost all my muscadine grapes in a freezer accident, I need to do a different fruit. It may be time to resurrect my "Trunk Monkey" rum attempt.

Any clue on the best most flavorful apples to use? I used Arkansas Black and Pink Lady, just because that was what was left over from my trip to the orchards. But what do you guys use?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

muscashine wrote:
Pikey wrote:
Any clue on the best most flavorful apples to use? I used Arkansas Black and Pink Lady, just because that was what was left over from my trip to the orchards. But what do you guys use?
I use a blend of apples, 7 or 8 varieties to get a good mix of apple flavors in there. Basically I try to make a good cider, a mix of crabs, sours, sweets. And this is what I used for both cider and brandy.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I do my cuts in pints and let them sit over night before mixing. The trick is to form a habit, starting on the left, I line them up on the table as they come out, never have to guess which one is which.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Jimbo wrote:
muscashine wrote:
Pikey wrote:
I use a blend of apples, 7 or 8 varieties to get a good mix of apple flavors in there. Basically I try to make a good cider, a mix of crabs, sours, sweets. And this is what I used for both cider and brandy.
Got your quote wrong Jimbo - I didn't say that :lol:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

T-Pee wrote:For many members here, Lalvin EC1118 is the go to yeast for fruit.

tp
Yup love that yeast for a clean no nonsense yeast that doesnt step on the base flavors of the starting product with too many esters.

However,.... I wish you guys could try these jars of cider and brandy made from different yeasts, all from the same batch of apples. Its pretty astounding what impact yeast has. In 2013 and 2015 I used 3 different yeasts each. There's some writeups in my thread (in sig below) comparing EC-1118, D47, Cote de Blanc, 71B-1122. In general the estery yeasts make cuts harder as the esters muddy up that already difficult line to find between heads and hearts, which is crucial to capturing the fruit that always comes over early in a run. But when all is said and done, the flavor differences after some years of aging are really interesting.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Jimbo wrote:
T-Pee wrote:For many members here, Lalvin EC1118 is the go to yeast for fruit.

tp
Yup love that yeast for a clean no nonsense yeast that doesnt step on the base flavors of the starting product with too many esters.

However,.... I wish you guys could try these jars of cider and brandy made from different yeasts, all from the same batch of apples. Its pretty astounding what impact yeast has. In 2013 and 2015 I used 3 different yeasts each. There's some writeups in my thread (in sig below) comparing EC-1118, D47, Cote de Blanc, 71B-1122. In general the estery yeasts make cuts harder as the esters muddy up that already difficult line to find between heads and hearts, which is crucial to capturing the fruit that always comes over early in a run. But when all is said and done, the flavor differences after some years of aging are really interesting.
Well I'm definitely going to pick an extra 20 pounds or so at the u-pick place this fall, just for distillin'. It was really surprising how much flavor was in the product right as it came out. That's why I'm kicking myself about screwing up the jars. I bet in six months in a bottle with a cork stopper it would have been really fragrant.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

muscashine wrote: Well I'm definitely going to pick an extra 20 pounds or so at the u-pick place this fall, just for distillin'.
There's about 30 lbs in a bottle. So you might shoot for enough to make it worth your time.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Jimbo wrote:
muscashine wrote: Well I'm definitely going to pick an extra 20 pounds or so at the u-pick place this fall, just for distillin'.
There's about 30 lbs in a bottle. So you might shoot for enough to make it worth your time.
Wow that much? I'm going to need more apples.