Sleepy Time Cherry Brandy

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FranklinNewhart
Novice

Sleepy Time Cherry Brandy

Post by FranklinNewhart »

I have found out something by accident. I really like Maraschino Cherries and I like purchased Cherry Brandy which isn't a real Brandy but rather a liqueur. So I decided to make some for myself. I used a container of the baking kind with no syrup instead of the ones that come in syrup. I took a quart of 60% and put half the cherries in it to soak and after a week the cherries had turned to a pale pink and the alcohol was a bright pink. I then took the other half of the Cherries and boiled them in Sugar Syrup and when it was cool I added the quart of Alcohol. It turned out really nice and about 30%. I was really pleased with myself. I even stored it in three Cherry Brandy bottles I had on the shelf.

Now came the after effects. Had a glass with about three ounces in it a week ago and ended up sleeping in my chair for three hours. Ok, I just put that off as being tired. But I did that again today. I just woke up and have been doing a little research on this situation. This time I had 3 ounces the same as the other time but I was not tired today and I know it. But sip the three ounces and four hours later I wake up in my chair. Man what a nice sedative.

So I went on the Intersnatch to see what I could find. It seems Cherry Brandy in particular was prescribed as a sedative by doctors in the 1800's. Then there came an infection of phylloxera in Cherry Trees and Grape Vines in the late 19th century, and other spirits were passed off as brandy. The Doctors of the day saw an immediate change in the effects of Cherry Brandy and they ceased using it. Here is a link to the article which is a Scientific Paper on the subject. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7211001936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. It seems I have rediscovered a very old Sedative. It even has a medical designation number (PH229). I am going to save this stuff for a bedtime drink. Just thought everybody might like to know about it. Definitely would not like to have a glass of this and then have to drive or operate machinery.
Attachments
Cherry Brandy 1.jpg
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Sleepy Time Cherry Brandy

Post by Shine0n »

Very interesting, cherries are on my to do list and have found a nice source of them.
The tree was camouflaged by some sort of vine which we got rid of and found a very nice cherry, 3 peach and a plum. I'm not sure if the plum or
peach will produce, they seem to have alot of dead on them but with some tlc who knows.
The cherry on the other hand was thriving! We managed to get 10 gallons of ripe cherries at the end of the season and ate them untill I couldn't stand them. Plus my fingers were stained for weeks. Lol
Next year we plan on keeping up with all the new found trees and taking full advantage of their fruits, if nothing else we'll have the cherries to play with.
A nice drink around sleepy time of some cherry dropper will hit the nail on the head. Zzzzzzzz
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Frank, are you seperating/straining the cherries after processing and before bottling :?:
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Yes. I took all the cherries when I was finished and stored them with enough Liqueur just to cover them in a jar of their own. I'm using them in Manhatten Martinis. I waste nothing.
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Well I was into Town (Weyburn) today and I found in a second hand shop two nice little classes that only hold three ounces and they are built like little mugs with handles and everything. I knew right away that they had Sleepy Time Cherry Brandy written all over them. A dollar later and they are mine meant for only one particular drink.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The cherry tree I mentioned earlier is in full bloom and should be ready for harvest in the next few weeks and I'm lookin forward to it.
From what I see I should have enough cherries to fill a 55 gal drum or more! That is if I beat the birds :crazy:

Seems like I have a lot of work ahead of me here soon, would anyone know if the stones should be removed or are some kept for the flavor as I've heard the have an almond type flavor.?.?

I'll snap a pic of it after I return home today, this thing is massive!!!