Apple Eau de Vie

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Apple Eau de Vie

Post by Bushman »

Congratulations to Orcas Island Distillery for winning best of class for their Apple Eau de Vie Brandy. I will buy a bottle to compare it to what I make. I have walked by the distillery but they were not open as there distillery is just up the hill from the very popular Marina with the same name. They are a 10 minute boat trip from the cabin and island where I go for shrimping and get my apples from their 2 orchards to make our gallons of apple juice for our production. We do not even get to a fraction of the apples and it ends up falling on the ground and the sheep and deer get the bulk of them. I have always thought about what a waste this was and I think I will call my buddy that owns the property and see if he wants to try and sell or barter the apples to the distillery.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Apple Eau de Vie

Post by cranky »

I will have to see if I can get a bottle myself, I would also like to get a bottle of their pear brandy. Their website says they are open by appointment but I work with a guy who has family up there and goes to the island frequently, he also seems to know everybody on the island.

That's a good idea about the apples, it's a real shame to let them go to waste when they could be turned into perfectly good alcohol :D
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

cranky wrote:That's a good idea about the apples, it's a real shame to let them go to waste when they could be turned into perfectly good alcohol :D
No. Apples into venison is ok too.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

seamusm53 wrote:
cranky wrote:That's a good idea about the apples, it's a real shame to let them go to waste when they could be turned into perfectly good alcohol :D
No. Apples into venison is ok too.
The deer almost eat out of your hands. I was feeding the sheep with the pomace but they got the scoots so bad I had to come up with a plan B.