plums

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bullpeters
Novice

plums

Post by bullpeters »

i have 50 litres of plums
nothing else but plums, they were picked of the ground, put in a barrel. i got soft and put in some cider yeast. i am not sure which yeast won. it was a bit tart so i put 5kg grapes and 2 g prunes. no water. the wash,after 3 weeks smells and tastes aromatic. i will run it thru a crude pot still next week
My usual distill is rice. Asia style rice wine. Baijui.
I plan to run the fruit wash thru a pot still, 500ml jars and blend by as required. i have been doing this a while
I find this site a bit like a "boys club". "YOU BETTER READ THIS FIRST!!"
i think thats a shame
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: plums

Post by Pikey »

bullpeters wrote:
.......... and 2 g prunes........
Is that "gallons" you're talking about (US or Imperial ?) or is it a mistype for "kg" ?

I'd be very interested to know how this combination works as it'll be plum season here soon :)
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

bullpeters wrote:I find this site a bit like a "boys club". "YOU BETTER READ THIS FIRST!!"
i think thats a shame
If people ask for advice, they get it. Sometimes they get it anyway, even without asking. In either case, our primary aim is to keep you (or whoever) safe.

Good luck with the plums :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The oldest liquor in my distillery is from a plum run I did for someone else, under his instructions, but against my advice. It's the oldest because it's bloody awful. It didn't need to be. They were nice plums and the wine smelled lovely, but he wanted a single run and that is what he got. Age hasn't redeemed it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

My second must was of plums alone, once through the pot still with thumper and is my favorite fruit wash as of yet. Maybe the thumper helped, I also used ec1118 as the yeast. At 80 proof it's like drinking plum water with the affects of likker.
I collected in half pint jars and aired for 3 days before blending, also it's been a year sitting white and good stuff.
time will make or break what you just made. Hopefully for the better.

Shine0n