Apple Brandy First Try

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JoCo
Novice

Apple Brandy First Try

Post by JoCo »

I've been saving up some apples for months now and two days ago I found the time to get them ready for my first attempt at apple brandy. I decided not to juice them but to instead de-core and de-seed them. After that I put them in a blender and blended them up. The blended apples have a consistency of apple sauce or thicker. I have several six gallons buckets with 4.5 gallons of the "apple sauce" and I have already dropped a yeast bomb in them and they are working off very nicely. My question is do I need to add water to them to get a more soup like consistency or just leave them be? Also i'm thinking that in order not to scorch the apple sauce during distillation that I will need to set my still inside of a larger container and fill that container with water. Basically I'd be boiling my still in water. Does anyone have a better idea how to deal with a thick apple pulp during distillation so it doesn't scorch?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Apple Brandy First Try

Post by NZChris »

You can press the juice out before pitching. Too late for that now.

You can put the free run wine in the boiler and the pulp in the thumper.

My guess is that you should be able to press the wine out after the ferment, but I've never tried it with apples.

Trying to strip a wash to nearly the boiling point of water in a bain marie of water isn't something I would attempt. Life's too short.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

JoCo wrote: Does anyone have a better idea how to deal with a thick apple pulp during distillation so it doesn't scorch?
Heat up the mash with open boiler and stir it with a mash paddle. Then at 60-70°C shut the heat down and close it. Insulate the still, then you will be able to distill it with less energy (less risk of scorching).
Or build an pressurized water bath, an agitator or a large thumper.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

der wo wrote:Heat up the mash with open boiler and stir it with a mash paddle.
First, you can dry the bottom of the pot and smear it with butter for added protection. Once started, do not let the flame go out, or try to stop and restart.

I have used this method and it did work, but I wouldn't choose to do it with whizzed up apple pulp if I had other options.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I used to ferment on the pulp all the time when winemaking. Never had the slightest problem straining mashed banana, mashed plum, parsnip etc with a coarse mesh. Never tried it with "Apple sauce" though. I'd get the kitchen strainer out (A mesh one ) and scoop some out, give it a try - you can strain it into a bowl, see how it works and put the lot back in to finish the ferment.

Then you can try something else if it doesn't work.
bartus-h
Novice

Post by bartus-h »

I have used the same method you use several times. I had scorching when the pulp was too thick, so I would recommend adding water. I use an electric washing machine element, so I expect that would be the worst thing with regard to scorching. My idea obout this is that if it is as thick as the cheap applesauce (the more runny one) you would be okay. Thicker than that you run a risk. Oh: and a scorched wash is really, really, really something you don't want!
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Check this thread out mate, it's amazing and will help you greatly

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=48526
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
JoCo
Novice

Post by JoCo »

I'm gonna start off by apologizing for not responding in timely manner and I also would like to thank all of you for your help. My first attempt at apple brandy was pretty damn sad. I couldn't strain the mash, so i decided to try putting my still in a bigger pot with water and boiling it. While that at first seemed to work I could never the the temp in my still above 130 F. I tried adding salt to the water and that helped as it raised the temperature to 150 F. I then adjusted my burner by giving it more air and also unscrewing my regulator so that it was maxed out as well (I don't suggest doing either unless you know what you're doing as you could end up getting hurt bad). This got the temp up to around 180 F but that was it. I decided at that point what the hell if she gets scorched she gets scorched. I put my still on the burner and started stillin. I did get some apple brandy but only around 1 Qt at which time I started to taste burnt apples and stopped running. I didn't scorch my still as bad as i thought but it was still a pain in the ass to clean. So to sum things up.... putting my still in a boiling pot I was not able to get the temp past 180 F. When I do apples again I will be prepared and have a fruit press.
nogoer
Novice

Post by nogoer »

You could have strained the sauce in a pillow case even after fermentation. It might have taken a few hours, but i bet it would have worked nicely. Twisting the bag would also have "pressed" more liquid out.