Quince

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Quince

Post by Bushman »

I bought a brandy I believe in Germany (haven't tried it yet) but it is made from quince. Anybody used quince to produce a product? I believe it is a fruit from the apple family. Below is a picture of the fruit.
IMG_0741.JPG
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Quince

Post by Kareltje »

I never tried them, but I know they contain quite a lot of pectine.
In http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=60563 Der Wo gives advice about making a Geist. This avoids the problems of the pectin.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I wanted to but the quince trees I used to pick got bulldozed before I could make anything but jelly out of them :evil: and the only other one I know of I can only get a couple quince a year from them. One thing I found is the flavor of different varieties of quince can taste very different from each other but they all have a sort of very strong apple/pear flavor to them.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just googled it, seems like there are about 6 or 7 types. Found a recipe for Tincturing it with vodka. When I get home from this trip I will open the bottle I bought and try to figure it out.
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

I know a lot of Serbian guys. Their culture is very big on liqour making, especially with plum (slibovitz). They've mentioned to me that quince makes the best liqour, but is hard to find and very expensive due to how little juice is in them. Not sure how true any of that is, but that's what I was told.