rehash run some wine

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

retiredtrucker
Novice

rehash run some wine

Post by retiredtrucker »

Went thru the post RUN SOME WINE and have a question about distilling wine for spirits. I have 24 liters of Nance wine that is three years old and nobody will drink as the flavor of the nance is way to strong. this wine finished out at 13% but was treated with campden tablets on the last racking before bottling. now according to some of the posts on RUN SOME WINE because I used the campden tabs when i distill this I am going to end up with some nasty flavors. I know there was some confusion regarding sulphites and sulphides and I know campden tablets are metabisulphite, so my question is if I pre warm and stir to release the sulphites from the wine will I get a clean spirit? Using a stainless steel boiler with a 2" copper column and have the option of packing the column . Another question while on this subject of running wine,made 18 liters of strawberry wine from a bottled pulp that i found out after the fact that it was treated with sodium benzoate .It never finished fermenting only went to 11% alcohol and is still very sweet. Can i run this?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: rehash run some wine

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey trucker...

If you won’t drink the wine...that would mean you’ll dump it down the drain. So, you might as well try to distill it. Worst case scenario...you dump the distillate down the drain. No harm...no foul, huh?

But it may give you some nice spirits to consume. Can’t say it’ll compare to a fine cognac, but it’ll not cost as much either.

And you can run your sweet wine too....if the ladies don’t, or won’t drink it. ‘round here the sweet strawberry wine would get consumed. But your mileage may vary (a trucker pun).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
retiredtrucker
Novice

Re: rehash run some wine

Post by retiredtrucker »

My concern about the sweet strawberry is the preservative used in the fruit pulp. What happens when you heat sodium benzoate?