Grape varieties

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mendel
Novice

Grape varieties

Post by Mendel »

I'd like to try making Brandy from grape juice. But I have no idea what type of grapes to use. I am surprised how little there is on the Internet and would be curious if anyone on this forum tried it.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Grape varieties

Post by DetroitDIY »

I've done a pyment that aged very well, but never a brandy. Used unsweetened concord grape juice for my pyment. It was quite jammy for the first year, but by year three, it's matured into a lovely mead. While the "perfect" grape would be nice, if I wanted to do a grape brandy, I would be just looking for whatever was available that didn't have additives nor preservatives.
Goog
Novice

Post by Goog »

Mendel, I have just finished making a brandy using Cabernet grapes. It’s still pretty early in the aging process yet as it’s only been on oak for 4 weeks. I fermented approximately 100kg of grapes with some ec1118 yeast, pressed out the wine removing the marc which gave me around 60 ltrs to run. After cuts I have placed 5ltrs @ 65% on French oak in a Demi to age.
CD358483-EBD5-4D42-9B4E-050157BE56DC.jpeg
Some of the greatest feats were achieved by people not smart enough to realise that they were impossible.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

You can buy 30-bottle wine kits for a reasonable price on Amazon and try all sorts of different wine varietals if you like! The cost is much more than concord grape juice but only a couple dollars a bottle when you price it as a finished wine. As a wine it makes a decent glass, so for brandy I'm sure you could get the same result. I think these 5-6 gallon kits are like $50ish at the moment.

Granted cognac and armagnac are made from either Ugni Blanc, Folle Blanche, Baco Blanc, or Colombard (these are all white grapes) none of which you'll find online I think. Pisco is apparently made from any of eight varietals Quebranta, Negra Criolla, Uvina and Mollar, and the aromatic grapes—Moscatel, Torontel, Italia and Albilla. Here's a photo of pisco grapes:
what-is-pisco-made-from.jpg
So there's that. But I bet if you made two batches, one concord (vitis labrusca) brandy and one chardonnay or sauvignon blanc or cab or whatever (vitis vinifera) brandy you'd like one more than the other and know what it was worth to you when it was time to make more.

I looked around and I can find Trebbiano kits, which is the Italian name for Ugni Blanc. So if you wanted to make a homemade 'cognac' you could try to use that or incorporate it, but none seem to be in stock, I'm sure if you look closer to harvest in the late summer and fall that you'd find kits available for more esoteric varietals like Trebbiano.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I had several wine kit wines in carboys that I turned into brandy and it went well... If you can get grapes in your area it'd probably be less expensive. I now only use grapes for my wines and use the pomace to make grappa with a cheap kit or two to bump the amount of product a little.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Terrenum
Novice

Post by Terrenum »

Did you guys do one or 2 runs to make your brandy? I have a copper alembic style pot still. I have chardonnay wine I made that is very good but not great (was never able to complete malolactic fermentation so it is quite acidic). I think it would make a great brandy. I am just wondering if should distill once or twice.

Cheers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Commercial distillers of high quality brandies distill twice. I'm guessing they do that because they have decades of experience and experimentation to guide them, so I do what they do.