Bakers yeast / Distillers yeast ?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Captb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bakers yeast / Distillers yeast ?

Post by Captb »

Is there a difference in the 2? Is regular bakers yeast what I would find in the Grocery store? Is one more efficient than the other?
If distillers yeast is more preferred could someone recommend a brand?
I went to a local home brew shop and asked for distillers yeast and they gave me liquor quicks brand of turbo yeast is this any good?

Thanks
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Bakers yeast / Distillers yeast ?

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Most here would say not to use any yeast with the word turbo in the name. It has extra nutrients and has a high alcohol tolerance (20 - 25 percent). Good for making fuel, but not so good for drinkable liquor.

Baker's yeast is considered a good all around yeast here. Some of the T & T recipes call for distiller's yeast, but will work well with baker's yeast. I have two go-to yeasts - baker's and Lalvin EC-1118. I use the EC-1118 for fruit musts and the baker's for most everything else.

There's a lot of reading material here about yeast. Just do some reading and decide which ones you might want to experiment with.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Captb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Captb »

Would Bakers yeast be what you find in the super market? such as Fleishmans?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Yes, any baker's yeast. You can get a 2 lb vacuum packed block of it at Costco/Sam's for less than 5 USD.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Yeast are often categorized based on their intended use (baking, ale, lager, distilling). One thing that most distillers yeast has in common is that they are propagated aerobically. This results in yeast cells that already contain the fatty acids they need already so less aeration is required resulting in a quicker starting ferment.

Here is a link to a "Whisky Science" explanation of the different categories of yeast. As always, you chose what is best for you.

http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2011/ ... s.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I'm goin the distance...
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I like Instaferm Gold or SAF Gold cause they are more tolerant to higher alcohol content...

Have fun,

Happy Stillin

FS
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

FullySilenced wrote:I like Instaferm Gold or SAF Gold cause they are more tolerant to higher alcohol content...
Just out of sheer curiosity, considering what we understand about lower ABV washes and mashes, why would a higher alcohol tolerance be a factor in choosing a particular yeast in this hobby?

tp
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I just said I prefer those... no reason in particular.... and who says i prefer low yield washes not that i run any above 12 or 13%, BUT as every and anything in this hobby goes... it is your personal preference ...

so if T-Pee wants to run under 10% washes or AG mashes under 5% he can just knock himself out... cause that's what he likes...

but as far as bakers yeast goes i perfer Instaferm Gold and SAF Gold... just had good luck with them and I prefer them...

Happy Stillin

FS
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Captb wrote:Is there a difference in the 2? Is regular bakers yeast what I would find in the Grocery store? Is one more efficient than the other?
Distillers yeast is more efficient. But there are other things that are more important.
My 2 cents worth.
What you are fermenting makes a bigger difference than the yeast you use.
Low gravity ferments are better for quality.
In other words keep the ferments below 10% abv, better yet stay below 7%
Captb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Captb »

question about ABV?
Does ABV have anything to do with the amount of finished product or just alcohol content ? I would agree a lower alcohol contentwould be more desireable unless making fuel
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Captb wrote:question about ABV?
Does ABV have anything to do with the amount of finished product or just alcohol content ? I would agree a lower alcohol contentwould be more desireable unless making fuel
More concentrated fermentables, higher abv wash= more concentrated alcohol, higher abv distillate. The reverse is also true, but if you are using the same beginning weight of fermentables, the end volume of alcohol will be the same. It is the concentration (abv) that will differ.

Luckily, it's not rocket surgery!

I like baker's yeast because it is readily available, food grade, inexpensive. I believe there is a lot to be said for sourcing your materials at the grocery store. I have used many different yeasts since beginning distilling, and really between brewers yeast and bakers yeast, I can't say I find much difference. It's also true that not all bakers yeast is the same. And, plus, finally, it is also a matter of taste. Many here love EC118. To me, it's expensive and also quite stinky. My go to yeast is a Lebanese (!) bakers yeast I get from the Middle-Eastern food store in town. So, you never know what you'll like or where you'll find it.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

T-Pee wrote:
FullySilenced wrote:I like Instaferm Gold or SAF Gold cause they are more tolerant to higher alcohol content...
Just out of sheer curiosity, considering what we understand about lower ABV washes and mashes, why would a higher alcohol tolerance be a factor in choosing a particular yeast in this hobby?

tp
TP, if a yeast has a high alcohol tolerance, that also means at the lower alcohol levels some of us keep to, the yeast will remain fully healthy until the very end. Or put another way, if a yeast has a low alc tolerance, say 10%, and you take it to 10%, it may finish but its gonna be damn unhappy at the end.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Thank you Jimbo... didn't want to seem like i was ragging on about the subject...

FS

The golds are happy to about 16% and are basically priced the same as std bakers yeast. I buy it by the pound.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Does the high tolerant yeast leave any off flavors or yeast flavors in the final product if the ferment doesn't reach a high ABV?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

TP, if a yeast has a high alcohol tolerance, that also means at the lower alcohol levels some of us keep to, the yeast will remain fully healthy until the very end. Or put another way, if a yeast has a low alc tolerance, say 10%, and you take it to 10%, it may finish but its gonna be damn unhappy at the end.[/quote]

"DAMN JIMBO!YOU MUST BE A F..ING GENIUS!"
(an edited quote from Forest Gump)
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

@Googe I have not experienced anything negative with the instaferm Gold or SAF Gold bakers yeast ...

But i have never taken them to their limits... so I haven't had any off tastes or flavors popping up.. in fact i used some of em with the goo wash a few times...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

"goo wash" ?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

ga flatwoods wrote:TP, if a yeast has a high alcohol tolerance, that also means at the lower alcohol levels some of us keep to, the yeast will remain fully healthy until the very end. Or put another way, if a yeast has a low alc tolerance, say 10%, and you take it to 10%, it may finish but its gonna be damn unhappy at the end.

"DAMN JIMBO!YOU MUST BE A F..ING GENIUS!"
(an edited quote from Forest Gump)[/quote]

I see drunk Santa is back for your Avatar, nice. Merry Christmas Woods!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Thanks fullyfermented :thumbup:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"