Flocculation and Trub levels

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Flocculation and Trub levels

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

What influences this outside the specific type of yeast?

So I have changed three factors I can think of lately. My recipe and procedure are the same. But my last 2 ferments have left me with an usual amount of suspended trub, from a depth perspective. I start pulling wispy yeast with about a 1/3 of my bucket left. It no longer cakes in the bottom. Now, this is of course after I squeeze the piss out of the gains.

Before, I would ferment for a week, squeeze the night before, and cold crash outside in the 30's, then rack in the morning. Usually left me with acceptable packed yeast level.

Some changes and theories:

1) Yeast is old. I have been using the same 4 lb block of dried bakers yeast for over a year. Have kept it sealed in the fridge in a Ziplock the whole time. Taking as I need.

2) Less period rest. I used to wrap up the fermenters in blankets from the start. I would be in the high 90s first the first day or 2, and it would ferment fast and hard and then settle the rest of the week. In efforts to see if bringing the Temps down improved flavor, I have stopped wrapping them. Active fermentation is now in mid 80s, but maybe it takes the whole week now, and the yeasties don't fall out as quick?

3) Corn meal. I have switched to cornmeal, degerminated, which squeezes very dry with my mop wringer. I get more liquid now, but am I squeezing to much yeast out? Would this even effect the cold crashing efficiency?

I have been compensating by doing a strip and a 1.5 run with the second run, but essentially I am losing an entire bucket of my three that I ferment due to the suspended yeast.

Thoughts and experiences?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Flocculation and Trub levels

Post by still_stirrin »

I used to brew in a local brewpub. When the yeast no longer settled quickly and solidly (flocculated properly), it was time to replace the yeast. This could be a year or a month, depending on the strain and how often it was used.

I suspect observation 1 is correct and observation 2 is corroboration of that fact. The behavior noted it 2 is symptomatic of old, tired yeast.

In addition to the behavior of declining yeast, the ferment flavor will begin to get a "powdery" flavor. That is from the yeast hulls that have been suspended in the beer rather than flocculating out. Empty, broken yeast cells will give you that taste.

But I can't comment on observation 3, however. I've never used cornmeal. Sorry.

Conclusion, order new yeast....it's time.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

As a side note, one way to "revitalize" your culture is to oxyginate the wort/mash very good and under-pitch. That will increase the aerobic cycle when new budding occurs. It will generate new yeast cells for you.

What I found when brewing in the pub, frequent use of the yeast (weekly or even bi-weely) produced a thick white yeast slurry that looked like mayonnaise. It smelled fresh and almost "bready". Happy yeasts for sure.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

SS, thank you so much for your reply. I was actually surprised that the yeast were still performing so well from a lag and attenuation perspective. I figured they were just tough sobs, and that I had stored them well over the last year. That was the last of the bag, anyway.

Yeah, I mean that 4 lb sack of baking yeast cost me like 4 bucks at the restaurant supply. Nothing I can't grab again. I really hope that is all it is. Although, my 1.5 runs that I have been forced to do have been amazingly educational. It was really enlightening to step out of my routine and try something different.

Again, thanks SS for taking the time to help me. I'll let you know how the new yeast go. :thumbup:
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

It's the cornmeal. It seems to stay suspended forever. I just squeeze it and run it.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

You might want to try experimenting with this stuff, Shine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Woven-Polyp ... qt_lEIkJHQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I think I have the 4 oz, but not sure how the different weights would compare.

GA Flatwoods sent me a piece of it, and it does a great job of filtering out a ferment. Available on ebay in many sizes.
For me, it worked much better than a paint straining bag. Very little sediment in my carboys after clearing.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
yammit
Novice

Post by yammit »

You could always add a little bit of gelatin before you cold crash, should be crystal clear in a day or 2.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

yammit wrote:You could always add a little bit of gelatin before you cold crash, should be crystal clear in a day or 2.
You know, I forgot to come back and add that. Thank you. I recently jumped head first into beer making. Been researching for years now. Been practicing with all grain bourbon now for 6 months. Lol :lolno:

So yeah, first beer ever was a 7% AG IPA. Never done extract. :thumbup: One more reason I love HD. You guys taught me another hobby by accident.

But anyways, back on topic. Yes, I recently started researching this method on my brew site. Should work, but I am of course going to try and fix it from the start.

Good back up plan. Thanks! :thumbup:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

frunobulax wrote:It's the cornmeal. It seems to stay suspended forever. I just squeeze it and run it.
And that's a fact :lol: